JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On July 23, 2011 Washington State will be one of the thirty-seven states that allow civilians to own and use sound suppressors on firearms. The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club will host a silencer shoot on Saturday July 23, from 12 pm to 4 pm. This event will be open to the public free of charge.

Anyone interested in learning about suppressor effectiveness and limitations is invited to the club to shoot or watch. Suppressed firearms will be available for use by the public under the supervision of the suppressor owners and range officers. Information on how to legally purchase or make suppressors will be available.

Contact information;
Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club (360) 373-1007
Randall Bragge (360) 440-5889 [email protected]

Ranb

HB 1016 - 2011-12
IN THE HOUSE
Apr 1 Speaker signed.
IN THE SENATE
Apr 4 President signed.
OTHER THAN LEGISLATIVE ACTION
Apr 6 Delivered to Governor. (View Bill as Passed Legislature)
Apr 11 Governor signed.
Chapter 13, 2011 Laws. (View Session Law)
Effective date 7/22/2011.

The bill says the new law goes into effect 90 days after the session ends. I counted out to July 23rd. The WA government website says July 22nd. Oh yeah!

The Silencer shoot is still scheduled for Saturday July 23, 2011. I will be at the range sighting in all of my suppressed firearms on Friday.

Ranb

I think I'm going to be sick that day...yep, definitely can't go to work.

Thanks again to RanB and everyone else who took the time and effort to educate and make this all possible.

SBS and SBR are next. Be prepared to support House bill 2009 next session. This means getting to know your Senator and Representative well enough to meet with them and pitch the bill. One meeting beats a hundred e-mails and that it no exaggeration.

It took over three years to get silencer use back. Getting back short barreled rifles and shotguns is a test for us to pass. Getting Olympia to allow ownership of long guns that are an inch or two too short will be a walk in the park compared to getting back the "evil" machine guns. We will have to prove that we worthy of owning such "awesome" firepower. We get what we deserve because we elect those to represent us in Olympia.

I am supposed to be attending a meeting with some people involved with bill 2009 soon. While these guys want to keep things close to themselves for a while, one thing we need is people all over the state to meet their legislators. An ordinary person meeting with their Senator or Representative is better than a hired gun (lobbyist). Convince them that NFA weapons are only owned by the nicest people in town and they will have no reason to oppose the bill when it comes time for their vote.

Ranb

There is normally a $15 each charge to shoot there for the public. During the silencer shoot the range will be open free of charge to attendees, but the club can accept donations.

Ranb

I was on another site looking at some pics from thr AAC suppressor shoot and even thought it was an all suppressor shoot. The particpants still had to follow the range rules and wear hearing protection. Will that be the case at this event?

Yes, eye and ear protection are always required when on the KRRC shooting line. If the event was taking place in an open field, then it might be possible to make hearing protection optional, but with all of the shooting taking place under a roof, it will still be loud. The high powered rifles still have substantial muzzle blast and the supersonic bullet's shock waves bounce off of the roof and can be loud enough to require ear plugs. If there are many suppressed rifles or pistols being shot at the same time, then this makes it worse.

In my opinion, the only hearing safe firearm is a subsonic 22 cal rim fire with a silencer attached. There are several shooting bays we can use if we want to hear the guns without hearing protection. But on the main rifle and pistol lines, hearing protection will be required. I will not go without it.

Ranb

Yes, eye and ear protection are always required when on the KRRC shooting line. If the event was taking place in an open field, then it might be possible to make hearing protection optional, but with all of the shooting taking place under a roof, it will still be loud. The high powered rifles still have substantial muzzle blast and the supersonic bullet's shock waves bounce off of the roof and can be loud enough to require ear plugs. If there are many suppressed rifles or pistols being shot at the same time, then this makes it worse.

In my opinion, the only hearing safe firearm is a subsonic 22 cal rim fire with a silencer attached. There are several shooting bays we can use if we want to hear the guns without hearing protection. But on the main rifle and pistol lines, hearing protection will be required. I will not go without it.

Ranb

Great explanation for why the devices should always be referred to as "suppressors" rather than "silencers". :s0155:

Not that big of a deal, but I call them silencers as that word along with muffler is the one used by the feds to describe them. The word rolls off my tongue better than "sound suppressor" and no one has ever asked what I was talking about when I said silencer as opposed to suppressor.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads