Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Kriss Super V .45 CBR

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by The Dude, Jan 12, 2009.

1. The Dude

The Dude The 206, WA Member

2. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Hope the price will come down to about half, someday. It'd be nice to have a .45 carbine to share pistol ammo with.

3. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Roseburg,ORYGUN Member

4. The Dude

The Dude The 206, WA Member

The big difference that seems to set them apart (other than the obvious) is that the Super V's recoil is straight back and not up, which allows you to remain zeroed in. I suppose you can get some degree of control with that HK using a compensator, but I've never fired either so i'm just speculating.

5. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Roseburg,ORYGUN Member

That might be true using a more powerful caliber,but keep in mind the 45acp is a low-speed round to start with.My USC has NO felt recoil,and zero muzzle movement during firing.I've mounted a Russian PK-AS red/black dot sight on it,and I can make 1 hole at 50 yds as fast as I can pull the trigger...

USC-1.jpg

6. quattrokai

quattrokai WA New Member

I love my Kriss, it does the shooting for me. Very accurate.

7. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

When I heard about this weapon I just wondered why it is needed? The trend is toward M4 style carbines. I also wondered why no one has developed a locked breech submachine gun other than HK. Even the .45 ACP is not exceptionally powerful in recoil and can be handled small pistols. The main recoil from the submachine guns is from the weight of the bolts is my belief. That weight is needed to delay the opening of the breech in a blowback weapon. I think a better system would be to use a locking breech with maybe a rotary bolt cam system like the Beretta Cougars. A delayed recoil system like the HK P7 could be used if you wanted a fixed barrel. In general, I think the Kriss is a solution in search of a problem albeit an innovative one. Granted my only experience with .45 carbines is a lightweight aluminum alloy Thompson M1C that I had SBR'd. I would like to hear what others think about blowback submachine guns.

8. RVNvet

RVNvet Beaverton Member

Saweeet! Here are some bigger pictures.
    Max
    kriss1.jpg
    kriss_civ_1.jpg
    kriss_civ_2.jpg

9. KRISSTDI

KRISSTDI Oregon Member

Its a great weapon IMO.... Easy to fire, reload, and I have had almost no issues with it...

IMG_0757.jpg

10. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Krisstdi

I hear you cannot unchamber an unfired
    round due to the design of the extractors

was wondering if that is true or Internet
    rumor

11. KRISSTDI

KRISSTDI Oregon Member

Where have you heard this?
    I have put 700 rounds through it so far and the only issue I have had were hollow points and jamming. No issues with unchambering rounds that I am aware of. However I did see something like this in a video over a year ago with some of the prototypes but that problem has been addressed and fixed.

12. ronin223

on ar15.com

good to know it is not true

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=48&t=296428&page=2

"Update on my Kriss.

Had problems with extracting and unfired round and failure to feed.
    Sent it back to the factory and was told they fixed the feeding issue but the gun was not designed to extract an unfired round without removing the magazine. It will occasionally extract the unfired round but not reliably.

I kid you not.

Spoke with the chief engineer and gunsmith.
    When I asked why every other modern firearm does this and theirs doesn't the response was that it is a revolutionary design and then a long pause....
    When pressed the gunsmith said that they have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours trying to remedy this issue but the gun is what it is.

I actually like the way the gun looks and shoots but to me this a liability if the gun was ever to be used for home defense or even for competition shooting. "

13. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

You never know with internet forums whether someone is reporting a true issue or he is just making something up because he wants attention or has an axe to grind with a competing design or company.

There's some guy on arfcom who regularly posts his FS2000 had burning gunpowder that melted his stock. Having a bit of trigger time with them, including full auto version, his claim sounds like a lie to me. -I haven't read anyone else reporting it. The guy is sketchy about it. When asked for any sort of proof, none was forthcoming. However, if you had no hands on familiarity with the rifle, you might think, it was a real issue when it is not.

I'd be interested to hear more about the Kriss Super V, I haven't shot one of those yet...

14. KRISSTDI

KRISSTDI Oregon Member

I never go onto that site at all. To much misinformation there. There was an ejector issue in the civilian late 2008 and 2009 models. That has since been taken care of. This is old news. The 2010 models are good to go except for the hollowpoint issue but that has been taken care of as well as of this month. You have to remember this gun has just come out as of really 2009 and there are going to be bugs here and there and they will fix them. Last I heard I spoke with the head gunsmith (Charlie) and he told me that they have gotten some requests from different LE agencies for numerous things that they are updating as we speak and now the .40 is about to be released.

You can goto TDIs website and you can see where they address the issue and what you can do if you have an early model.

15. KRISSTDI

KRISSTDI Oregon Member

What would you like to know? Ask away....:thumbup:

BTW I agree with you 100%..

16. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

BArfcom is full of idiots.

17. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Oh cool I didn't know there was a semi auto version of this available. Neato! Very expensive but soooo tacticool. I like the SBR version
    krisssbr.jpg

18. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

What's the balance like? How are the ergonomics? Any special maintenance issues?

-I've never shot one or had one apart so I'm curious what you think about it and what you've noticed about it from your experience.

19. KRISSTDI

KRISSTDI Oregon Member

Glad you asked some questions. Well the balance I think is ok. It feels like shooting a AR15 honestly but the faster you pull the trigger the less recoil I felt, if that makes any sense. Its still there for a .45 ACP round but not bad. I thought about getting the tax stamp for the shorter 5 inch barrel but I am moving back to California and it will be a nightmare trying to own this there with a 5 inch barrel.

Maintenance is very easy. Like all the videos say its 4 pins and the gun comes apart. Very easy to clean and keep up.

Honestly its my favorite weapon and its very future looking with all the toys I have on it now.

Everyone goes the Eotech route and I did have the XPS and that was a great optic but I have had the Aimpoint CompM3 and 2 Trijicon ACOGs. I am going the Bobro/Trijicon Tri-power route and I am picking up a tan ELCAN SpecterDR. I want both so we will see how these optics work out.

For shooting its dead on up to 100 yards. The bullet has some drop obviously as you shoot farther and farther away but overall I am pleased with the purchase but now with my optics and the tac pac its pushing $4000. Thats .50 BMG ranges and its just a small carbine.

Anyway, I do have pictures when I went to the range with very good groupings at 60 feet, almost one on top of the other with the Eotech but thats going to be expected with this carbine.

20. ronin223

Have you every shot it with the stock folded. Is the recoil on slow single shots tame enough so you can keep your sights on target?

The reason I ask is I was thinking about getting the pistol version and using it for 100 yard off hand shooting.