JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another outstanding day on the water with a fellow member, @SparksFly joined me this morning on a quest for Kokanee. He was early and he brought a great lunch for us BOTH, others should learn from him...:D:D:D
We got to the boat ramp & there was a Gazillion Bass boats in the staging area:eek::eek::eek: WTH??? I knew that the lake stunk but know I know why, BASS!!!:p:p:p
It was storming on the way out to the killing fields and I was thinking the worst for the day but then the clouds parted, the wind died & we had a fish on before I could lower the offering below to the depths.:cool:
I must say this young man has a very good grasp on how to pitch in and do anything on a boat, catch fish & was running the Cannon electrics like a pro after a short orientation. We set a new record of limiting before noon on Riffe lake!!! :cool:
Thanks for good conversations, a great time fishing and for taking some of the fish that was taking up valuable space in my overflowing freezer.:eek::eek::eek::D
Although you will have to work on your trailer backing skills but you did get r done eventually. You did have a helluva ramp to battle today...:p:p:p:D

Sorry but my phone decided to die & cannot post pics. Maybe @SparksFly can help me out here.
I forgot to get a photo before cleaning them but I will be cooking them tonight and I will get a photo of them for sure!

Here is what became of them. I cleaned and scaled them on Saturday, then scored the skin and rubbed in olive oil, Himalayan pink salt, and some heavy chopped garlic, then grilled. The overall consensus from the family was that the fish was really dang good.
57D336CE-53EE-4203-AA8A-04DD67C30C65.jpeg
411333E9-0758-454F-A350-045550618D32.jpeg
7025C782-9BE6-4F53-B428-DF2BCED2C64C.jpeg
9410E92B-A8F9-47DC-A756-DF344D5DC121.jpeg

Matt, AKA @Thomas_Gunne joined me for another fun filled day of Kokanee fishing on the super secret hideaway called Riffe Lake. Cats out of the bag boys but this season's almost over, hahahaha.
The lake was very low, a lot lower than last week when I fished with Jake.
Then we could use the dock, not so lucky today.:eek::eek::eek:
20180928_112711.jpg

We just looked at each other in disbelief and I said what the Hell, let's go fishing anyway and we did.
We had took a pounding on the way out due to the wind chop so we slowed down and putted along at low speed to the killing fields by the dam.
Before I got the first line down to 10 ft and tried to stack the second line a fish popped the rigger and soon came to the boat. After rebaiting and putting the line down to 10 feet again to try and attempt to stack the other line popped off and had 2 fish in the ice bath within 5 minutes!!!
Unlike last week these fish where all just chunky fatboys..... or girls....:D

20180928_113801.jpg

Fishing was busy this morning and if not for some difficult handling techniques of said fish we would have limited out by 10 o'clock....o_O
But we continue to fish till 11:08 a.m. when number 10 came aboard. LOL

All in all, it was a great morning of fishing but as always when you're good at catching you don't stay on the lake long at all. LOL

What worked last week worked this week although I did add two new Dodgers to the lineup but I'm too lazy to go out and take a picture, rinse and repeat....:D

Now back to your regular sponsored Channel, get back to work and have a great weekend you guys and gals deserve it slaving away all week...:p:p:p

Last Edited:
Fast forward to the present time.
I was forced to fish this weekend, generally I don't but my son & SIL twisted both my arms!!!! We fished my super Secretive lake again (Riffe) Friday, Sat and will do so again tomorrow morning before heading home.

Friday I fished with my son and limited picking up 3 in the evening after boating 7 in the AM & got hungry for a brunch. Biggest being 14".
9D7563A3-8B70-41D4-8A42-18FB369496B3.jpeg

Saturday morning was just gang busters with over 20 drive buys and boating only 9. We had an excellent late breakfast of pancakes and sausage then a 3 hour nap.... We fished the evening bite till 8:30 picking up 4 and loosing 2 BIG fish at the net that would have completed the limit, we tried fishing in another part of the lake and will probably hit it in the AM...
Sorry but didn't take any pics the evening.....

80B4AC1F-8EBA-474A-AC20-82BFD03A5A9D.jpeg

Time with family & friends is what it's all about as the boy looks forward to fishing with his old man when he gets leave time from the CG.;)

Last Edited:
I don't play with food...

IMHO, If there aren't enough fish for harvest then they should close it until the numbers allow for harvest, then you can catch & release.
I agree, generally, but have to add that some places are catch and release only due to trophy fish management. I wouldn't want ODFW to open up harvest on the Metolius, for instance, since it has plenty of fish and there is a ton of monsters in that river.
If the only reason to prohibit harvest is due to low population numbers, then catch and release isn't the right answer.

Also, catch and release for kokes while you're trolling isn't all that ethical.

I agree, generally, but have to add that some places are catch and release only due to trophy fish management. I wouldn't want ODFW to open up harvest on the Metolius, for instance, since it has plenty of fish and there is a ton of monsters in that river.
If the only reason to prohibit harvest is due to low population numbers, then catch and release isn't the right answer.

Also, catch and release for kokes while you're trolling isn't all that ethical.

Whatever makes its way to my net gets eaten.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top