JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Do this next time you go to the range. Put a target out at any given distance and fire a magazine, holding the trigger, releasing to hear the reset, and firing again. It doesn't matter what your weapon of choice might be, or even the distance. Work on it- slow is smooth, smooth is fast and the speed will come in time. You're going to notice your groups getting better and you becoming a better shooter. You'll come to know your weapon better while focusing on that critical consistency."

Knowing when to catch the reset is important. Distance does matter in self defense.

Know when to point, press and access!

Know when to aim, press and access!

Catching (releasing to reset) the reset has its place put know when to use it!

I cringe when I see "rooky" instructors trying to "train" catching the reset to new shooters.

Smiles,

(Yes, I'm a retired LEO, firearms instructor POST and NRA!)

Kinda "nit picky" I know but the quoted section here ain't true :

Put a target out at any given distance and fire a magazine, holding the trigger, releasing to hear the reset, and firing again. It doesn't matter what your weapon of choice might be

The quoted section applies only to semi automatic firearms.
"it doesn't matter what your weapon of choice might be..."
Well what if one is shooting a lever action rifle or revolver...?
Or even dare I say , a muzzle loader...? :eek: :D

I understand that the writer of the article was meaning it doesn't matter what semi auto firearm one is shooting...but I have been around guns for a while....a new to firearms gun owner , may be confused or misled by the quoted statement.

I can not say what will make you a better shot .

I can say what has made me a better shot : Practice.

Practice as in doing what works for me , each time I shoot.
Practicing enough so that I don't have to think about what I am doing each time I shoot , I just do what needs to be done automatically.
Andy

I find with newish shooters having them understand and feel the reset can be a helpful tool in leading them to understand that their finger does not need to fly off the trigger completely after each shot. I've also seen some more experienced shooters miss shots because they are playing too close to the reset and when they make the second pull, nothing happens. To each their own on this, the one that works for me is learning the space between the reset and when the trigger is let all the way or nearly all the way out. This obviously varies by gun/trigger type.

As @Andy54Hawken noted, revolvers are completely different animals.

I see a lot of shooters through my classes pinning the trigger and feeling for or listening for the audible click...unfortunately it's a bad habit that's sonetimes hard to break...obviously I don't recommend it

Once the shot is fired it is impossible for the reset to effect the shot. Teach yourself where the reset is, as it's different on about every firearm, and your brain will pick it up very quickly. Spending an inordinate amount of time on it enforces trigger pinning. Works OK for slow fire, but is disaster for faster shooting, as the person will want to continually do it.

...but as always do what works for you.

I believe trigger reset is important, but thats not the method I am practicing. I guess like anything, there is more than one way to do it.

The SRT on a SIG is like affirmative action for having to deal with the first double action pull.

IMO SA/DA sucks!! They need to make up their minds!!!!

If I'm going to do double action, it's just a revolver with a bit more capacity. I own Glocks but the triggers suck. Even after spending $300 on my G34, I still have a trigger that is not as nice as my custom 1911/2011 SA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top