JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Know Your Target and What Is Beyond It
50-cal-round.jpg

And no, the projectile is NOT still in the case - that is the cannelure.

No bullet deformation? Still has a crisp tip. I'm not familiar with .50 projectiles, so I'm not trying to imply is fake. Also, its at an upward angle so to end up like that it had to deflect off of something.

I went deer hunting a couple years ago, had a shot on a deer from about 50yards with a 12ga, but this was fairly close to town and a part of the property I wasn't overly familar with. I passed on the shot and let bambi go,
I was afraid there was a house or houses near where I would be shooting.

There ended up being nothing but woods with a house about 100yards to my right.
I sure as heck wouldn't take that chance.
If there's one thing I couldn't live with it would be taking some innocent persons life through negligence

Ive seen so many people target shooting in the woods without an appropriate backstop it always baffles me....

No bullet deformation? Still has a crisp tip. I'm not familiar with .50 projectiles, so I'm not trying to imply is fake. Also, its at an upward angle so to end up like that it had to deflect off of something.

Most .50 BMG ammo is ball and fairly hard. It takes a hard surface to deform a 670 gr. FMJ projectile traveling at 2000 fps plus, especially if the ammo is AP, which a lot of it is. The .50 BMG military ammo is made to penetrate light armor so it usually has a hard core. Deformation would not be expected going thru some branches and then sheet rock.

Once a bullet strikes something, like a wall, it can deflect or yaw in just about any direction.

Last Edited:
Think about how sparse Marion, MT is and the probability.

I am pretty careful about my shooting. I have a neighbor who is not IMO.

I have houses on three sides with thinned woods between us, so I usually shoot downward into my gully where the nearest house is at least half a mile away which thick woods between us and several gullies too.

I have ceased my shooting this year because there is a logger working in that direction and I have no idea when he or his people will be on my property scoping it out to look at the area they are logging on my property or when they might actually start cutting or if my neighbor is down there looking at the acreage he is buying from me.

Once that is taken care of I will resume my occasional shooting. I have a backstop, but since last summer it has settled quite a bit so it is possible I could shoot over it - even so, the angle is significantly downwards, but I cam careful nonetheless.

A friend sent me photos a couple years ago of a similar incident in Arizona, as I recall. A .50 cal bullet came down through the roof of his house at an angle. They never figured out who fired it.

Bullets do weird things. Long ago as a teenager I was out in the pasture rounding up the cows for the evening milking, when I heard bullets wizzing overhead. There was the pop, pop, pop of a .22 rifle from a nearby hillside where a neighbor lived, and the occasional BZZZ of a ricochet zipping past.

I got out of there fast and went to the neighbor's house. At first he refused to believe it, because he was shooting into a hillside. Then he got scared when he realized I wasn't just messing with him.

Ever since then I've taken having a good backstop very seriously. Whenever you pull a trigger, you are responsible for where that bullet goes, until it stops moving.

So if you have a backstop, what are they ways a bullet can leave the line of fire?
I know ricochets happen... But wouldnt that be from shooting in rock quarrys? I know a hidden rock in an otherwise earthen backstop can do it, but what are the odds that would happen multiple times to be noticeable and wouldnt the shooter notice too?

Just curious to learn more....

In reference to my neighbor so long ago, he had targets set up on a sloping hillside without enough slope.

Some people think that so long as they are shooting towards the ground that they're safe. In reality those bullets are moving fast and spinning, so if your backstop doesn't have a steep enough angle some of those bullets will ricochet, like skipping a rock on a lake.

Reminds me when I went shooting with a family member and the last time we took him along.
As a Vet from the 1960's I figured he knew something about shooting, we parked at our spot I was unloading and I saw him cross the road and do something but I was getting up and running. he came back and I guess he had grabbed his AK from the truck and without telling anyone proceeded to shoot a few cans he had placed. 1. They were across the road, 2. Never yelled out or gave a clue he was shooting so was loud as hell 10 feet away thanks for that #3 he was less then 20 feet away from the cans that were on shale, I was behind him and when he let loose and sh*t started coming back at high velocity something zoomed past my head and also ricocheted of the top on my SUV that was all I saw and I push every one behind the tires on the opposite side where there was a ledge to get cover. He stopped shooting 30rounds and then looked back oblivious what he had just done. I won't comment on what I did next but was the last time we went with him and that was like 7 years ago. I know safety classes are not manditory but if you need training or forgot what you think you knew do us all a big giant WTF favor and take a fricken safety class. :mad:

One of the shoots I went to about 20 years ago was out in the desert of eastern Washington (general area of Royal City) on private land. We were shooting into a pretty steep hillside that was about 400 feet tall.

It did not look like it from about 1 km away (the distance we were shooting at), but there were rocks on that hillside. When the guys would shoot tracers at night, you could see the ricochets going off at crazy angles, including straight up. Fortunately we were pretty much miles from anything or anybody, but...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top