JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Police Log

Jan. 14

"At the courthouse in the 100 block of Main Street, a man was about to enter the courthouse armed before he realized he could not bring guns into the building. He decided to hide them in some shrubs near city hall. He forgot where he hid his guns. The search was unsuccessful. He does have a concealed weapons permit, for now."

Holy crap, what an idiot! There had to be something better he could do with them besides hiding them in a bush! And guns? Is carrying multiple guns common? I guess I can see a a primary gun on the waist and a small back-up ankle gun.

Man he's almost as absent minded as the cop who left an AR-15 on the trunk of the cruiser and walked away. Or the female officer who left her service piece on the back of a toilet in a public rest room.

MAN how bad can you get to be as absent minded as a cop?

It reminds me of a story a buddy of mine told me when I lived in Idaho Falls. Among other things Idaho Falls is a bedroom community for INEEL, one of America's two main nuclear research facilities. INEEL is a pretty fair commute and most employees get picked up by bus. As you might guess, they are also a very secure site, and no firearms are allowed outside of security. One day my buddy was waiting for the bus and realized that he had is carry gun with him. Seeing the bus coming down the road hew knew he couldn't get it back to his car before the bus got there, so he climbed a nearby tree and wedged his pistol into the crotch of one of the branches. He was greatly relieved later to retrieve the pistol.

Man he's almost as absent minded as the cop who left an AR-15 on the trunk of the cruiser and walked away. Or the female officer who left her service piece on the back of a toilet in a public rest room.

MAN how bad can you get to be as absent minded as a cop?

To say nothing about all those guns top cop Eric Holder lost in Mexico...

INEL is a pretty amazing place. I remember the bus rides back and forth and working 12 hour shifts while going to the Navy prototype out there. Still some pretty significant research happening on that site.

Same sort of thing happended at Portland International Airport last year. Retired pilot comes in to go on vacation forgot he was packing, ditches the pistol in a planter inside the ticket lobby so he could pick it back up after vacation. Needless to say someone noticed the ditch and with all the cameras in there he was found fairly quick. Not sure what happened to him but sure it wasn't very good.
Had a friends wife travel to Texas and she took one of his bags as carry on. When she was at the checkpoint on the way back TSA noticed something not right in the bag. Well there was a loaded Glock mag in the bag that made it past Portland TSA. She had no clue it was there, nor did the friend untill he got the call from Dallas airport police when the wife was getting the third. Luckly she was able to proceed minus one Glock magazine.

Amazing that the court houses don't have a depository for your carry guns. Kind of like a coat check or valet parking? :rolleyes:
Here in WA the state law requires either a locking box at the door OR someone on the premises to hold the gun while conducting business. At the Clark Co courthouse they have lock boxes, but they're only for LEO use, they do send someone over from the sheriff's office to hold it. What they don't tell you is that they run the numbers on the gun and a check on you.

My neighbor is the general manager of the Portland Expo Center and he told that the employees always find some cool knives ditched around the main entrances when they have the big Mexican band concerts.

In my home I have the difficult to get to hiding spot, the even more difficult to get to hiding spot and the nearly impossible to get at hiding spot! I also have a couple of easier hiding spots as well. All secure unloaded and ammo in a whole different area btw.
Anyway am I the only one who thought he got ripped off after doing a mad search/rampage looking for a little used gun that you KNOW YOU LEFT RIGHT THERE! Then after an hour you remember the crazy hiding place you put it in a lazy moment because the usual places were too hard to bother with at that time?

That's so absurd... Sigh.
#1, the courthouse security likely will secure your firearm for you at the front until you leave if you ask them politely
#2, is this real?
#3, take away his CHL. He concealed his gun in some bushes, and then lost it. Well played.

In my home I have the difficult to get to hiding spot, the even more difficult to get to hiding spot and the nearly impossible to get at hiding spot! I also have a couple of easier hiding spots as well. All secure unloaded and ammo in a whole different area btw.
Anyway am I the only one who thought he got ripped off after doing a mad search/rampage looking for a little used gun that you KNOW YOU LEFT RIGHT THERE! Then after an hour you remember the crazy hiding place you put it in a lazy moment because the usual places were too hard to bother with at that time?

Ya know you're gettin' old when..... :s0112:

My neighbor is the general manager of the Portland Expo Center and he told that the employees always find some cool knives ditched around the main entrances when they have the big Mexican band concerts.

When many of the military bases closed their entries and searched vehicles coming on post they would find dozens of pistols on the side of the road.

If he's stupid enough to lose it then he's too stupid to have it.

Same sort of thing happended at Portland International Airport last year. Retired pilot comes in to go on vacation forgot he was packing, ditches the pistol in a planter inside the ticket lobby so he could pick it back up after vacation. Needless to say someone noticed the ditch and with all the cameras in there he was found fairly quick. Not sure what happened to him but sure it wasn't very good.
Had a friends wife travel to Texas and she took one of his bags as carry on. When she was at the checkpoint on the way back TSA noticed something not right in the bag. Well there was a loaded Glock mag in the bag that made it past Portland TSA. She had no clue it was there, nor did the friend untill he got the call from Dallas airport police when the wife was getting the third. Luckly she was able to proceed minus one Glock magazine.

One XMas while visiting family in another state, that was after 9/11, I had a Glock in my bag. I was driving, so it wasn't a problem for me, but some other family had flown from the same area I lived in. When it came time for somebody to take them to the airport the driver mistakenly grabbed my bag in addition to theirs.

Long story short, by the time I was able to call them they had already check the bag.

It went through fine with no one saying a word.

I got my bag back when I went home.

Not sure if your the only one but I sure have never had that problem. Maybe because I have all my firearms in one secure location save for the single home defense firearm that is always in one place. I can't think of once in the last 45 years I have been a gun owner that I didn't know exactly where all of my firearms were. Unless it was because the wife or son was out of sight while hunting or at a shooting competition with one of them.

That's so absurd... Sigh.
#1, the courthouse security likely will secure your firearm for you at the front until you leave if you ask them politely
#2, is this real?
#3, take away his CHL. He concealed his gun in some bushes, and then lost it. Well played.

Marion County Court house won't secure anything for you. Made me walk my swiss army knife back to the pickup and nearly strip searched me on the way back. This was when I was heading in to do some finger printing for a permit renewal.

Not sure if your the only one but I sure have never had that problem. Maybe because I have all my firearms in one secure location save for the single home defense firearm that is always in one place. I can't think of once in the last 45 years I have been a gun owner that I didn't know exactly where all of my firearms were. Unless it was because the wife or son was out of sight while hunting or at a shooting competition with one of them.

I'm getting to the point where if I purchase any more I might get one, It's been addressed in another thread but safes make me paranoid that a bad guy would do anything to me or my family to get at what he thinks is in the safe. As it is my neighbors don't know what I have and I downplay what I have with co-workers etc. If a safe was spotted by friends or even my own kids started talking about "Dad's safe" I wouldn't feel safe. When I move next time I plan on having a built in hidden safe I hope!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top