JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can only imagine the bubblegum that would hit the fan if parents down here found out their kid butchered a moose in school today. Good for AK.

yeah and down here kids think they make the meat in the grocery store:rolleyes:

both my kids (2 and 5 1/2) have seen me clean out and skin game animals. "boys, this is where meat comes from" they thought it was cool.

"Life skills"...."Common knowledge (sense)"......Like @Koda was implying, (at least that was my take on it) people get their meat these days (IF they even eat it) from a store. They have zero idea what it takes to process it. OR the whole commercial process to begin with. At least these kids are learning something worthwhile. LIFE SKILLS...... OUTSIDE (or maybe inside) the concrete jungle.

Well that's a very useful skill which those kids will be called upon to use in life, if they stay in Gustavus [pop. 440 and just west of Juneau]. They probably already know how to fish and build a fire.

Even if the kids eventually move away to a big city they will have the appreciation for the cycle of life and respect of the animal their food comes from.
Too many people today have no clue where there Subway sandwich deli meat comes from as long as it takes less than 5 minutes to order.

After reading that, my first thought was "My God I'm old". My first experience with butchering livestock/game was before I even knew what school was. I was probably 4 years old, so it would have been 1947 or 1948, and it was just normal everyday life. All the kids on the other ranches were being introduced to the same skill set at that age. It certainly wasn't a newsworthy event. My how the world has changed in one short lifetime... and not necessarily for the better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top