JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Color case hardening is a unique process. The correct way is using high heat and high carbon medium. I've seen gun smiths use store bought charcoal and even dried farm manure. Then limiting the amount of O2 by enclosing the piece being hardened in a metal enclosure with the material. Most pieces require a custom jig and box to be created. I've seen both a kiln and a regular fire used as the source of the heat.

One day I'll try it myself, it doesn't look too difficult other than making the box and jig to hold it inside.

There are also chemical treatments that can give the appearance of color case hardening, but are not true color case hardening.

Color case hardening is a unique process. The correct way is using high heat and high carbon medium. I've seen gun smiths use store bought charcoal and even dried farm manure. Then limiting the amount of O2 by enclosing the piece being hardened in a metal enclosure with the material. Most pieces require a custom jig and box to be created. I've seen both a kiln and a regular fire used as the source of the heat.

One day I'll try it myself, it doesn't look too difficult other than making the box and jig to hold it inside.

There are also chemical treatments that can give the appearance of color case hardening, but are not true color case hardening.
I've read the same: that the piece bending or warping is the biggest concern. I haven't the metal skills to make a proper jig. Maybe one day...but not today. Nor within the next year or two...hence the post. Would be cool to try though.

For engraving: Barry Lee Hands.

If you pay for the best you will get more than you pay for.

P6260163.JPG

And...in anticipation of someone wondering about the scratches and/or claiming, "you'd be afraid to take it out of the safe", this on more than a number of occasions has been an honest "business rifle":

Scan_20200626 (3).png

I'm looking to get a piece engraved and color case hardened. Does anyone have any experience with a gunsmith who can do such work?
BlackFlag Armory in Medford Oregon just opened their custom shop..a little far for you, but theyre a great outfit.

In searching months ago, I saw an outfit near Bend...but it may of been electro-plating...Ill dig around

We have a world class engraver that's a member here on NWFA
Here is his website. He does phenomenal work

Denny Aulia

A very significant portion of the expense for engraving (time and money) is in disassembly...and reassembly... of the firearm. A good engraver is not always necessarily a good gunsmith, but a good engraver will have a good gunsmith on retainer for disassembly and assembly. Often an engraver will maintain relationships with a "stable" of smiths (one for pistols, one for a certain brand, antiques, etc.) in order to get this critical work done.

Some guns do lend themselves to easy disassembly by the gun owner toward presentation of pieces to the engraver. An engraver may well insist that disassembly and reassembly is his responsibility and also his preference to preserve/facilitate his work.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top