Know an engraver?

Reno

Reactions
Color case hardening is a unique process. The correct way is using high heat and high carbon medium. I’ve seen gun smiths use store bought charcoal and even dried farm manure. Then limiting the amount of O2 by enclosing the piece being hardened in a metal enclosure with the material. Most pieces require a custom jig and box to be created. I’ve seen both a kiln and a regular fire used as the source of the heat.

One day I’ll try it myself, it doesn’t look too difficult other than making the box and jig to hold it inside.

There are also chemical treatments that can give the appearance of color case hardening, but are not true color case hardening.

Color case hardening is a unique process. The correct way is using high heat and high carbon medium. I’ve seen gun smiths use store bought charcoal and even dried farm manure. Then limiting the amount of O2 by enclosing the piece being hardened in a metal enclosure with the material. Most pieces require a custom jig and box to be created. I’ve seen both a kiln and a regular fire used as the source of the heat.

One day I’ll try it myself, it doesn’t look too difficult other than making the box and jig to hold it inside.

There are also chemical treatments that can give the appearance of color case hardening, but are not true color case hardening.
I’ve read the same: that the piece bending or warping is the biggest concern. I haven’t the metal skills to make a proper jig. Maybe one day...but not today. Nor within the next year or two...hence the post. Would be cool to try though.

Reactions
I’m looking to get a piece engraved and color case hardened. Does anyone have any experience with a gunsmith who can do such work?
BlackFlag Armory in Medford Oregon just opened their custom shop..a little far for you, but theyre a great outfit.

In searching months ago, I saw an outfit near Bend...but it may of been electro-plating...Ill dig around

Velzey

Reactions
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
We have a world class engraver that’s a member here on NWFA
Here is his website. He does phenomenal work

Denny Aulia

Spitpatch

Reactions
A very significant portion of the expense for engraving (time and money) is in disassembly...and reassembly... of the firearm. A good engraver is not always necessarily a good gunsmith, but a good engraver will have a good gunsmith on retainer for disassembly and assembly. Often an engraver will maintain relationships with a "stable" of smiths (one for pistols, one for a certain brand, antiques, etc.) in order to get this critical work done.

Some guns do lend themselves to easy disassembly by the gun owner toward presentation of pieces to the engraver. An engraver may well insist that disassembly and reassembly is his responsibility and also his preference to preserve/facilitate his work.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good Friday!
    Had a great first time visit that included a transfer, a special order, and some trading. Can't wait to come back! Also I realized after I got...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
Top Bottom