JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assisted open knives are restricted to EMT and such in WA.
Just sayin CC:eek:
:D

Not true, but there are some nuances.

I am most familiar with Kershaws so ill stick with that brand as an example.

Gravity blades are restricted where they define 'gravity' as being any knife that can open just by flicking your wrist.

With the Kershaw assisted knives you have to actually use the thumb stud to get the blade moving before the 'assist' mechanisms start to work which bypasses all of the 'illegal' aspects to the knives.

I suspect that is the same with some of the other companies but I am not a major knife guy.

I got that info from a friend that found my EDC of 11 years or so now for me and explained it all then. He is more of a knife guy then I am a gun guy so I trust what he said and have never found anything specifically countering his points in any of the laws around here.

Man!
That's BS!
I carry a first aid kit and I'm CPR/AED certified?! Does that count?

Some laws are really stupid.

Vancouver Municipal Code
Chapter 7.11 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS KNIVES

Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. "Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,
b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.

Kershaws design gets around these rules because you have to start the blade moving with your thumb, it will not just fling the blade out by whipping it around.

I carry an Emerson Mini CQC-15. In Seattle I don't think you can carry a fixed blade or a folding blade longer than 3.5". Mine is exactly 3.5 so I'm gtg.

I carry a Gerber Torch II lock blade, some times a Bench made Griptilian, Letherman Wave or Juice2 and one of two Letherman Micra tools. I also have a few Bowie Knives I got blanks from ebay. They are damascus steel blanks that you can make your own handles for, or buy "kits" configured the way you want! Pretty neat way to have a Very high quality knife! I ususally carry one of the Bowie knives in a custom leather sheath that laces to my boot!

HANDMADE-Damascus-steel-BLADE-BOWIE-KNIFE-WALNUT-_57.jpg
I'll see your 3'' and raise ya 6'' simple and effective, and stays super sharp!

I have gravitated to Kershaw folding knives for EDC lately, and never consider any laws in states I might be going/driving too/thru.
Although a little big/clunky, I like the 1776 Link with speedsafe
kershaw1776.jpg
And I add jibbing to knives that don't have it
Jibbing.JPG
The Kershaw OSO Sweet is another favorite EDC folder
OSO Sweet.jpg
Love the flipper/lever, much nicer than a stud
Even the flipper on the Link is factory jibbed:)
jmo

The little Kershaw Scallion is another nasty little assisted opener! Just needs a better blade lock! I used to carry that but I cut my self so many times, I quit and just use it around the house!

Kershaw Cryo folder and a Leatherman Rebar multitool, everywhere, every day. Need to sharpen the Cryo again - it's getting rather dull. I'm not nice to my gear at all. Aside from having to bend back the pocket clip, and tighten the screws that attach it a couple times - I've had no problems with this knife. For a made in China knife it's excellent. If I had the cash to get one of Hinderer's own production knives, I'd get one in a heart beat, but I'd have to be retardedly wealthy to use one as a carry knife, because I tend to loose gear. Knock on wood - I've had my Cryo and my Rebar longer than any of the previous tools that I've had. And I've "misplaced" both a few times.

Kershaw Cryo folder and a Leatherman Rebar multitool, everywhere, every day. Need to sharpen the Cryo again - it's getting rather dull. I'm not nice to my gear at all. Aside from having to bend back the pocket clip, and tighten the screws that attach it a couple times - I've had no problems with this knife. For a made in China knife it's excellent. If I had the cash to get one of Hinderer's own production knives, I'd get one in a heart beat, but I'd have to be retardedly wealthy to use one as a carry knife, because I tend to loose gear. Knock on wood - I've had my Cryo and my Rebar longer than any of the previous tools that I've had. And I've "misplaced" both a few times.

Yea, I never lost a cheap knife, I'm not a fan of serrations-to difficult (for me) to sharpen.
I don't sharpen/hone edges smooth, usually just use the rough or medium stone, to leave micro serrations :rolleyes:
The edge doesn't last as long but rips thru most stuff I need to cut.
I field test my knife's defensive capabilities on my backyard fence, stabbing and slashing, and if it folds, I don't carry it.
jmo
:)

Dangerous Knife means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,

I always love these laws. Let's go into the kitchen. Geeze I can't have a butter knife? - Fixed blade, 3-in in length or more.

Oh, this only means while walking around .... what about at at a restaurant or other publicly accessible place - like the train station or air port?

Got one of those dangerous fixed blade plastic knives from a fast-food joint?

Discretion of the peace officer, right? We should not have such laws.
We should restrict actions - not items. For the most part. (if the item is dangerous just by its nature - like uranium - you don't have to do anything or be aware of it - then, maybe, after debate, it could be restricted.)

The description above is not just a rule in the 'Couv. But many jurisdictions have it.

KnifeUp | The Knife News Magazine (http://www.knifeup.com/)
Oregon Knife Laws | KnifeUp (http://www.knifeup.com/oregon-knife-laws/)
Washington Knife Laws | KnifeUp (http://www.knifeup.com/washington-knife-laws/)
Idaho Knife Law | KnifeUp (http://www.knifeup.com/idaho-knife-law/)

Gerber Evo for me.
One with serrations. One without. Got both for $20/each at one of the gunshows a couple of years ago.

Have a Evo jr. tanto in the car along with a Leatherman & mini-leatherman.

Link to Evo: <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top