JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bystander with CHL stops altercation..

Gun beats knife in Lebanon altercation

Snip of article... said:
A man who pulled a knife on a driver in Lebanon Thursday evening found himself staring at a gun when a bystander with a concealed carry permit intervened, according to Lebanon police officials.

Michael Ryan VanGelder, 30, is alleged to have brandished a large, fixed-blade knife at Elizah Bullock, 39, after a verbal dispute at about 7 p.m. near 809 S. Main St.

Witnessing the altercation, Mica Smith, a U.S. Army veteran who served 10 years, the final 3 with the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, NY, leapt from the patio at Conversion Brewing and drew his Glock 42 .380 on VanGelder, who then tried to run from the scene. Both Bullock and Smith chased and tackled VanGelder, who is alleged to have assaulted Bullock in the scuffle.

Last Edited:
what_to_bring_2x.png

So...I wonder if the good guy was drinking at the "brewery"... I hope not or the cops didn't bother trying to find out :cool:

This conversation is.... wow.
Guy helps another guy, but all someone can say is he came from a brewery, check him for being drunk...
WTactualF is going thru peoples head when they open their mouth. The guy helped someone in trouble, your thoughts rest on that he came from a business that sells alcoholic beverages?!? clearly the police didnt care why should you?!

This conversation is.... wow.
Guy helps another guy, but all someone can say is he came from a brewery, check him for being drunk...
WTactualF is going thru peoples head when they open their mouth. The guy helped someone in trouble, your thoughts rest on that he came from a business that sells alcoholic beverages?!? clearly the police didnt care why should you?!

I'm not codemning or promoting....just an observation.....on private property do what you want but as a PSA... most states you can't carry in a building that serves/sells alcohol (again depends on state).....i love anyone that wants to help another out (know your OWN code).... but just speaking as an outsider..... like you, we don't know....and I never faulted the guy for helping ....... rowdy bunch:oops:

Last Edited:
Many of us have been told guns and alcohol do not mix... Is it foolish to have a beer with your dinner while carrying concealed?
For me the answer is , that it is no worse than having a beer with dinner , then driving home*.
That said...
In today's day and age where everything is over-scrutinized and available to be seen over and over on various social media , the "spin" that the news might make of it ...Makes me leery of having a drink while carrying.

Knowing that the good guy came from a Brewery is not reason enough to condemn him ...But it might put him in a tight spot if someone spins it certain way.
As unfair as it is , appearances can mean more than facts , at times.

In reading this thread I do not think that anyone is saying that good guy here was drunk , but ...
Asking about the location and actions of everyone involved is a good idea....If it is done just to get a clearer picture of what actually happened.
Andy
*Edit to add:
I do not wish to turn this thread into a debate about drinking while carrying...I just stated my thoughts to establish a "baseline" as it were... So you knew where I was coming from.

Last Edited:
Just saying here......I've been to many breweries while carrying and sampled the goods. I make it a strict rule that I NEVER get intoxicated in public nor while carrying a gun. I can enjoy a cold beer with a meal but the limit is one. That's it. Now when I'm home and in for the evening......that's a different story. My ancestry is of German roots, and we like our beer. :cool:

My two cents aren't worth much, but Smith should NOT have followed, period! Especially since the article says that he knew the perp. He got cut and the girl got hit, all because they chased after a fleeing felon.

Unless you have reasonable belief that the perp is running to another, future crime, do NOT give chase. If there had been a shooting after they had given chase, the "perp" might have been considered to be Smith, the good guy. Thankfully, it turned out okay, but giving chase to a fleeing felon can turn out badly in sooooo many ways.

It is legal in Oregon to conceal carry into an establishment that serves alcohol with a CHL.

He is in no way guilty of anything shady relating to that action.

Edit:
:s0146:
I swear that every time something like this happens there are always people in the crowd making assumptions and I keep thinking they really want to say "Crucify Him!"
0BA9289D-13BD-4BF1-A9AA-F4FE07B607A6.jpeg

I went downtown Corvallis to Block15 Brewing... I had a burger and fries, no alcohol.

:s0137:

Last Edited:
Weighing in... drinking adult beverages and then having a firearms incident could get a person into hot water with Policemans, judge, jury, news outlets, perps family lawyer, etc.

Not saying whether it is a good idea or not... just that getting involved after drinking alcohol is risky.

It is legal in Oregon to conceal carry into an establishment that serves alcohol with a CHL.

He is in no way guilty of anything shady relating to that action.

No matter what state of inebriation one may be in, everyone still has the right to self defense. Most responsible folks know their own limits, or at least should.

I'm not codemning or promoting....just an observation.....on private property do what you want but as a PSA... most states you can't carry in a building that serves/sells alcohol (again depends on state).....i love anyone that wants to help another out (know your OWN code).... but just speaking as an outsider..... like you, we don't know....and I never faulted the guy for helping ....... rowdy bunch:oops:
Not against the law in Oregon to have a concealed weapon in a bar. Different story in Washington.

Yes! Except this wasn't a case of self-defense on the part of the CHL holder.
Really solid point. Getting involved might not have been smart, but I bet the lady is sure glad he did. Every now and then I carry into non-permissive environments, possibly even where carrying is against the rules. I am even more cognizant in those situations of my right to not get involved at all!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top