JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since you're a newbie, I'll offer some "suggestions and tips" based upon what I know and not what I think. The easy answer would be to rattle off a dozen or more knife suggestions. But two critical things need to be addressed first. If you're new then I would suggest you start by attenting a Wilderness Survivial course - even if it is just an into orientation. Get out and learn, see, and experience what works/doesn't work. Determine if you need a knife to whittle a Paiute Deadfall, make a bow 'n drill set or a knife to butcher an elk, or something to hack limbs to build a shelter. Then after a class or two you'll gain a little bit of insight into the very broad definition of what constitutes a "wilderness survival knife." (and trust me it is very broad) After you've had some experience, hence no longer a newbie, then you'll make a better and more informed decision based upon your experience (and the second point) YOUR NEEDS!

Let your training and your needs dictate what you purchase. There that is my suggestion and tip. Lame I know...but don't be like someone I know and just go out and start buying wilderness survivial knives...or you'll end up having more knives that do NOT fullfil your needs than those that do....don't ask me how I know this!

Besides, we do not know where you live, what kind of environment you'll be surviving in, what conditions and what you intend to do. Based upon my study and research of our forefathers - the Mountain Men they rarely had just one knife. Most often they carried up to three and four and they are the experts of surviving in the wilderness!

Until you know what you intended to do or how you'll use it then you'll only be shooting in the dark on a choice. And no one on this forum can tell you what to buy because they/we do not know what your skill level is and we do not know how you intend to use it. Just trying to save you some grief and $$$ you don't need to spend.

Okay so much for my advice...I'll relegate to the sidelines now and watch as others respond with their favorite knife choices - which may or may not meet your needs.

The sky's is the limit, price wise. How much are you willing to spend? What will your primary use for the knife be? How much knife weight can you carry and use with ease?

The Glock 78 or 81 field knives are as tough as nails, and they are about $30.00 + or -.

On the other end of the price range is the Fox Stealth CarbonTitan Utility Fixed Blade at about $590.00

I carry several knives while in the field. A knife that is great for chopping wood for a fire or making a shelter, is not the best choice for gutting and skinning a squirl or rabbit, etc...

My larger knife is a Cold Steel military classic. The others i carry are the Kershaw Ken Onion, which is about 20 yrs old and still going strong, the Kershaw wildcat ridge(made in japan) and either a leatherman multi-tool, or gerber multi-tool.

Plus i always carry a Redi Edge knife sharpener.

You have tons of choices.

Happy knife hunting!

In a wilderness/survival situation I would want one with a sharp blade that will hold up to abuse. I doubt that many people plan on being in a "survival" situation and are unprepared, so I would start with a quality folding EDC knife. If you plan on equiping a BOB or a GHB then whatever quality fixed blade knife your heart desires should work for you. I like Buck knives but I am partial because they are like 20 min away from me.

OFADAN's advice is very sound.

I see people choose a firearm only to put it up for sale when they find out it was not a good choice for their needs, etc..

My knife choices have come from a lifetime of experience and what works for me.

This is a loaded question as for a perfect answer I will have to defer to those having a greater depth of knowledge. I will say this is the right forum for such a question as there is a vast variety of available knowledge and actual experience from the members of this forum. I must also say the post from OFADAN has the ring of sound judgement and knowledge to it. I myself have purchased many knives. I still resort to my Buck hunting knife as well as my Buck skinning knife. I have several Gerbers as well. I would advise you to glean the opinions and knowledge available here then attend a outdoor survival class or at least go camping a few times. I realize I haven't given you a rock solid answer but you are smart enough to ask a question therefore I predict you are also smart enough to come up with the answer that will be most fitting for your needs and experience.

A Victoriox Swiss Army Knife like the Explorer model. If you want to chop wood make a shelter etc. a small hand axe/hatchet will be much better. If you need to a Swiss Army will field dress a Deer. You will also have all the other little tools to use should you need them.

Oh and I spent 14 years of my life making my living as a full time custom knifemaker. I carry a Explorer model Swiss army in my pocket every day and have for 25 + years.

examples of my past work Knife photos: Photo Images by Mark Wahlster Photography - photo.net

I DO NOT MAKE KNIVES ANY MORE.

I DO NOT MAKE KNIVES ANY MORE.

That's a shame - you made some excellent looking knives.

I'll agree with OFADAN's comments to some extent - taking a class will help you figure out what you need and how to use it.

If you don't have time for a class, and just want to get something to try out, I'd go with something pretty basic and straightforward. Plain edge, not a lot of design features, something priced where you won't worry about dropping it on some rocks. Cheapest (and maybe best value) example might be a Mora of some sort. Moving up the price scale (quite a bit), you might look at a <broken link removed> or maybe an <broken link removed> or <broken link removed> . Personally, I'd stay in the 3-4" blade range, but I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it; I find those lengths easier to use for a variety of tasks.

I'll also echo Mark's comments - a Swiss Army Knife can be a valuable companion in the wilderness (wild or urban). I'd feel perfectly comfortable heading out with just a SAK.

That's a shame - you made some excellent looking knives.

I'll also echo Mark's comments - a Swiss Army Knife can be a valuable companion in the wilderness (wild or urban). I'd feel perfectly comfortable heading out with just a SAK.

Maybe but from my point of view it was a way to make a living. I found a much better way to make a living that pays my bills. Knifemaking no matter how hard I worked (an average week that didn't include a weekend show was 70+ hours with a show it could run to 80+ hours) granted time for hunting and screwing around was much easier to find. But paying the bills was a challenge.

As mentioned, OFADAN gave good advice. Something also to take into consideration is what type of steel you want the blade made out of, blade length & thickness, how heavy a knife (or knives) you want to carry. While some knives may be good for "batoning," they may not be good for skinning game, or other tasks (or vice versa). slimer13 mentioned something I do, and that's carry my EDC knife, in the woods, in addition to my "wilderness survival knife." I've done the morphing thing, over the years. First buying this knife, then that one, to find the right knife for me. I really like the ESEE knife (different sizes for many uses/needs) - and that's my "wilderness" knife. Good luck on your quest for finding the right knife for you. Please let us know what you decide! :s0155:

For a good first all around field knife the Ontario Knife and Tool RTAK-II is a great choice. You should go to youtube and google "pathfinder", that guy has forgotten more than I know about fieldcraft

I would never be in the field without my Leatherman Wave tool, either.. and a Blastmatch firestarter

I would prefer two knives for survival. Both fixed blades. A 4 inch for most tasks and a larger at least 6 inch for larger tasks.
Bark river makes some very well made production knives at an afordable price. I get my camp knives from a local maker, Bill Siegle. He is also a member here on the forum. With knives, I belive in buying quality and only crying once. Bill willl work with you and design a knife that fits your intended uses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top