JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In regard to the recent thread (now closed) about the $500 Russkie knife sharpener, I am posting this for your consideration. I came across a Lansky for under fifty bucks. Does the exact same thing without the excessive clockwork mechanisms (which are cool). Comes with five stones, instructions, oil and guide clamp. The pedestal was another ten bucks but way worth it. I just screwed it on to a scrap board.
I put it to the test with my Shun Edo knives and I believe that I can split an atom now. Lol.
I do like the Russkie $500 device and it's on my list. But today fifty bucks works a lot better.
Your mileage may vary.

IMG_20170624_125023.jpg

In regard to the recent thread (now closed) about the $500 Russkie knife sharpener, I am posting this for your consideration. I came across a Lansky for under fifty bucks. Does the exact same thing without the excessive clockwork mechanisms (which are cool). Comes with five stones, instructions, oil and guide clamp. The pedestal was another ten bucks but way worth it. I just screwed it on to a scrap board.
I put it to the test with my Shun Edo knives and I believe that I can split an atom now. Lol.
I do like the Russkie $500 device and it's on my list. But today fifty bucks works a lot better.
Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 372208

I've got the set in diamond, added the 1000 yellow, 2000 super sapphire and leather strop.

Can't be beat for precision angles.

Quick sharpening on longer knives.. WorxSharp.

Some other nice ideas and kits here:
Educate me on sharpening knives

Last Edited:
I learned the old way long ago. Then learned to strop the edge working for a bootmaker when I was about 22.

I sure have saved a lot on gadgets in the last 40 years or so.

I too learned "old school" with India stones and a strop and can match the precision of many mechanical systems! I still prefer the stones over every thing, but I do use a belt sander to repair larger blades and axes! Still, nice to have tools when you just need a quick touch up!:)

I bought an Edgepro about 17 yrs ago haven't found anything better, use a Spyderco sharpmaker for touch ups.

Same as what I wound up doing. Though I started out freehand and got pretty good at it. With the EdgePro I was sharpening knives for kitchen's, chef's, staff, and just regular people. So it was nice, fast and made a nice even consistent bevel the entire length of the blade. Made a few bucks on the side which was nice too. :)

I added two items for my EdgePro from a company called chefknivestogoDOTcom. One being an Angle Cube so I knew exactly what my angles were and a 5/16" drill stop collar to account for the different thicknesses when moving between the different grit stones.

I use the Sharpmaker mostly for touch-ups and my pocket knives which generally are pretty darn close to the pre-set angle of 40 degrees so it works very well for that. Plus it's fast to setup, use, and put away.

I just never cottoned to the clamp system of the Lansky, though others really like them like the OP. My feeling is, whichever method works best for you ..... roll with it and enjoy sharp knives. :s0155:

I too learned "old school" with India stones and a strop and can match the precision of many mechanical systems! I still prefer the stones over every thing, but I do use a belt sander to repair larger blades and axes! Still, nice to have tools when you just need a quick touch up!:)
There's sharpening, and then there's repairing, and then creating.
I love my belt sander for repairing too. So much so that I've thought about making finger rests for the sides of it.
And a roll of machinist's emery cloth is a must too.
Both of those make restoring a garage sale find easy-peasy.

But an Arkansas whetstone or oilstone sharpens really well once the edge is established, followed by the strop and a little jeweler's rouge. On my favorite kitchen knives it is the only way to go, but those knives never see rough duty. Like breaking down and skinning an elk in the field.
It still comes down to using the right tool for the job. That holds true for the knives as well as the sharpening method.

In the old days I used to come across a lot of handmade knives that had been made from recycled planer blades from lumber mills. Great material, harder than the depths of hell and held an edge like nothing I'd seen before or since. It's like sharpening a wood chisel. It's possible to get them scary freaking sharp, if one is diligent enough. But make no mistake, it's a b^tch to get them there if they've been dulled.

Until a couple of years ago when I came across a machete and a large cleaver that some millwright had made from a couple of obviously large planer blades. Old-school stuff.
Nothing fancy, especially the handles, and good thickness/heft to each. But they're large enough and heavy enough that I don't really want my usual edge on either.

I don't want to live the rest of my life being known as "Stumpy." And the material doesn't need to be stropped to hold the edge anyway. Face it, they're hacking tools, and they're the right tool for that job with even a moderately sharp edge.

Last Edited:
I have large Diamond stones. On the finest "grit" I really don't need more but I hone on an old belt impregnated with valve grinding compound.
Kitchen knives get run through Chefs Choice knife sharpeners. They work great and I'm not inclined to waste all that much time sharpening knives that the wife can dull with the slightest glance!

I have large Diamond stones. On the finest "grit" I really don't need more but I hone on an old belt impregnated with valve grinding compound.
Kitchen knives get run through Chefs Choice knife sharpeners. They work great and I'm not inclined to waste all that much time sharpening knives that the wife can dull with the slightest glance!
It took me forever to get people in my household to stop using knives with honed edges on china and stoneware plates. I don't think my step-daughter ever figured out why I'd holler at her for that.

But a fire glazed surface will roll an edge in a heartbeat.

It took me forever to get people in my household to stop using knives with honed edges on china and stoneware plates. I don't think my step-daughter ever figured out why I'd holler at her for that.

But a fire glazed surface will roll an edge in a heartbeat.

Yep,

"Sure, honey bun, you just bounce that edge against that nice, stainless, fry pan!"

Knife only cost $150!!!

Lol! We were given a set of super expensive Demascus steel kitchen knives and full serving set, and they are wicked sharp, even my lovely bride cannot dull them, but they are a real bugger to put an edge back on when they do need some luvin! I made a guide for my stones and then I finish them off by hand on the super fine India stones and then strop.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top