JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey can anyone point me a direction to find out what the knife laws are in OR. From my understanding I can by a assisted opening knife but I can't carry one. I do not understand how that works. I have a couple SOGs and Kershaws with assisted mechanisms, some of which I have disabled temporally so I can carry them legally. When I disable the mechanism, the knives lose some of the enjoyment value of operating them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the citation. As I understand it, if there is a pocket clip for the knife, and if that is visible, then it is not a concealed weapon.

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section.

Below is the citation. As I understand it, if there is a pocket clip for the knife, and if that is visible, then it is not a concealed weapon.

That was what we were trained by the city attorney about 8 years ago; however, someone replied to a similar question and cited more recent case law that said just having the clip exposed could still be considered concealed.

Concealed is the key word. If you can find a way to carry it that would not be considered concealed then you can carry it. Personally I would carry it in a belt holster since there is an explicit exemption for guns carried in a belt holster. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top