JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello Gentlemen;
I would have said ladies but there weren't any obvious by the usernames. I'm new here and I applaud everyones input on this subject. Anyhow, I'm just an old guy who still likes to do physical things. I got interested in MA a couple years ago, kind of on a whim. Since then I've earned a yellow belt in Krav Maga and am still training. We have done several classes on knife defence (gun too). Meaning taking a knife away from an attacker. Our instructer made some knifes out of cardboard box material. Like all our classes it was all a bunch of fun but I started thinking of how truly terrorizing it would be to face someone with a knife. I enjoy light sparring and fighting games that don't hurt my opponent, too much. I say too much because accidents do happen on the practice floof. I'll be the first to call it a macho fantacy (can you spell Dune) but I'd still like to learn how to fight with a knife. Just for fun!!!!!

krav maga is great because it teaches you to think about how their are no rules, while mma and karate and all that teaches you with rules. In a fight their are no rules. krav maga is a mix of all martial arts with one key point their are no rules you must be ready for anything to happen. if they had krav maga class's in gresham id be on it like white on rice!

I will have to say find someone teaching the fillipino nife fighting known as Escrima, second to none, there are many styles and all good and devistating, can easly kill 3 armed men at 20 feet if gun has not ben drawn yet and can do the more in close combat, you can check it out on youtube, look for escrima, largo mano escrima, serrada escrima, arnis, kali, and more. I warn you this is not a art or sport, was devolped by filipino tribesman to kill men with the most quick leathal force posible. you will see alot of the action done with a stick wich is a only a practice toy reprisenting a mechette, and do same thing with a nife, nife even faster because its shorter and lighter and you can get closer, the reason the US government started to carry the 1911 45acp was to drop one of these fighters befor he got close enough to do any damage ,hope this helps Mark.

Last Edited:
+1 escrima. I spent 6 months working with the Eskabo Daan school here in Portland with Professor Michael. Eskabo Daan The Eskabo Daan school definitely embraces the underlying theme of MMA in that they are constantly absorbing new techniques based on "what works," they often draw from small circle jiu jitsu, jkd, etc. Also almost all their techniques are very effective empty hands with or with out a weapon.

As mentioned above, escrima is a shortsword and dagger MA (because men working in the fields would always have a machete and a fixed blade knife at hand to defend themselves from surprise attacks. IIRC, Escrima has evolved over 500 years of resistance against foreign occupation, first the Spanish and later the US (and briefly the Japanese.) That whole time it was under the constant refinement of being battle tested - what didnt work wasnt passed on because the practitioner was dead.

During the Spanish occupation, the Filipino fighters had to counter armored calvarymen trained in european longsword - this is why it focuses so much on moving off angle and lurching into an intermediate fighting distance, ie, "up close and personal" too close for your opponents longsword to be effective but not all the way to grappling. It is also developed to counter multiple opponents cause you never know how many conquistadors are going to ambush you when you are by yourself. Because it was developed as part of a resistance movement it was developed underground, and different families developed different techniques. For instance, the butterfly knife was developed and used by one of these families. Blah blah blah. It has an incredibly rich history based in, like i said, 500+ years of battle. That said, no martial art is a magic suit of armor, and if multiple opponents get you on the ground, its most likely game over if you dont have a buddy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top