JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd rather carry a second gun than a defensive knife. Knives are for opening boxes for me lol. Imo, they don't have much place in modern combat. A good saying I've heard is "the loser of a knife fight dies in the street, the winner dies in the hospital."

I've never heard of any knife fighting classes outside "just for fun" stuff, like practicing old ancient knife/sword fighting techniques. Society for Creative Anachronisms does some of the European ones, and of course some of the Asian martial arts incorporate edged weapons.

<broken link removed>
Here is a scan of a pretty good book explaining knife fighting techniques if you ever end up in a situation where you absolutely *must* use a knife to defend yourself. Requires adobe acrobat reader.

Personally I'd rather run away...

I'd rather carry a second gun than a defensive knife. Knives are for opening boxes for me lol. Imo, they don't have much place in modern combat. A good saying I've heard is "the loser of a knife fight dies in the street, the winner dies in the hospital."

I've never heard of any knife fighting classes outside "just for fun" stuff, like practicing old ancient knife/sword fighting techniques. Society for Creative Anachronisms does some of the European ones, and of course some of the Asian martial arts incorporate edged weapons.

At extremely close ranges I would rather have a knife. Plus, there are a lot of MMA wannabes out there who will take you down, and a knife would come in handy. Imagine trying to shoot someone choking you from behind, or sitting on top of you and pounding your head into the pavement. What happens if your shooting arm is injured or pinned?

Plus, there are a lot of places where guns are not allowed. I have some type of edged weapon on me at all times unless I'm flying.

Empty-hand techniques are just as important too, I reccomend Krav Maga.

Krav Maga Self Defense and Fitness, Portland Oregon

I am interested in Krav Maga, but as it is not as popular as things like taekwondo, I worry about getting a wannabe for an instructor (less places to choose from). How is the one you linked? Have you had instruction there?

I'd say that's a bigger problem in TKD.. More practiced martial arts inevitably fall to the fault of popularity..Everyone wants their black belt so quite a few places make it about getting a black belt, and not properly training mind, body, and soul to bring alive that inner warrior should you ever need to fight someone in any violent encounter.

If you go to a smaller place.. Watch out for instructors that talk about themselves a lot. I don't mean "You know this one time I had a student" type thing.. I mean "Man, this one time I completely knocked out a guy in a bar. Then his girlfriend. With one finger. And then I tackled 12 people at once and continued to maul them like a martial arts bear."

More importantly than anything. If you instructor does not earn your respect,you do not belong as their student.

I am interested in Krav Maga, but as it is not as popular as things like taekwondo, I worry about getting a wannabe for an instructor (less places to choose from). How is the one you linked? Have you had instruction there?

I've been there for about a year, and I like it. The instructors are great. They are part of a national organization, and they regularly go for more training themselves.

Thanks for the recomendations. I also would prefer a gun, but like another member said, you can't always have them and, if I run out of ammo for some reason, my gun jams, or I have any other problem with my gun, I'd like to be able to grab my knife and have some sort of defense other than my hands. I like having options. I carry a fixed blade knife on me at almost all times...

Krav Maga Self Defense and Fitness, Portland Oregon[/url]

Isn't that a testicle punching and kneeing technique taught to people in Israel? (the simpsons)
Also you will want to check out askrimah, its a wicked Filipino stick fighting tactics, but only uses one stick, so you could replace that with a knife and it'll look like you swung someone around on their period. Lastly, slice some air in the neck/groin/*** level when your walking around, anyone stabbed in these places will be the most shocked and itll stop them in their tracks.

I'd say that's a bigger problem in TKD.. More practiced martial arts inevitably fall to the fault of popularity..Everyone wants their black belt so quite a few places make it about getting a black belt, and not properly training mind, body, and soul to bring alive that inner warrior should you ever need to fight someone in any violent encounter.

If you go to a smaller place.. Watch out for instructors that talk about themselves a lot. I don't mean "You know this one time I had a student" type thing.. I mean "Man, this one time I completely knocked out a guy in a bar. Then his girlfriend. With one finger. And then I tackled 12 people at once and continued to maul them like a martial arts bear."

More importantly than anything. If you instructor does not earn your respect,you do not belong as their student.

Well, I've been to crappy TKD places and that's why I was wondering about something that is harder to find like krav maga. With TKD you can always go somewhere else.

look more into ESCRIMA ARNIS and Filipino martial arts all knife tech is baised on stick and impact weapons

Straight blast gym had Guru John daniels a great person in the area to learn from I dont know if he is still here

Penjak silat serah is also very knife based and local to the portland area with Guru Stephen Plink sp?...

seattle I would have to recommend Kelly Worden Warden sp?..... very knowledgeable highly learned elder

Krava Mag is nice but really basic and unless your working with a Israeli nawwww but you find a good teacher then hells yeahs!

historic isnt really geared for a modern confrontation when was the last time you carried a sword?... not going to happen

Filipino martial arts (FMA) and Silat are both more geared for close quarters bladed combat

you run out of bullets eventually I always carry a Kershaw Leek that never runs out of bullets and is a very nice thing when dealing with many idiots trying to kill or gravely injure you in a place you cannot get to your primary defensive weapon

of any one I would recommend it would be one of the three above or if your able to all three! very humble people all three but alot of skill and honesty they are always doing an amazing job with people

there is Paul Vunak also teaching in the area that just had a knife seminar today
just what I found on Martial Arts | Jeet Kune Do | Kali | Progressive Fighting Systems | Paul Vunak Certified | Portland Oregon

Contact Information:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 503-410-1570
Sigma Fighting on Facebook
Sigma Fighting on Twitter
For our courses in Jeet Kune Do Concepts or instruction in Filipino Martial Arts in the Portland Area Please contact us at [email protected] or call 503-410-1570

Sir Kind has the right idea.

i can personally speak of Kelly Worden, Kelly S. Worden: Director of Natural Spirit Int'l and WORTAC, internationally respected training systems for self defense, defensive tactics, and martial art skill development.

i met him about 20 years ago , he is a wealth of info.

Paul Vunak , also a highly skilled and educated player in this realm,

but my personal favorite and the guy who i still train with now is

James A, Keating. who you can find at Http://www.jamesakeating.com

known worldwide as an expert on edged weapons, use to hold the famous "riddle of steel" edged weapons seminars in hells canyon, and be a contributor to fighting knives magazine when they were still in business.

here is an interview that he did with others describing what it is he does.
<broken link removed>

sorry totaly forgot about Master At Arms James Keating I have not had the pleasure of training with him as of yet. it would be a great achievement for me to make it to his classes!

there is Pikiti Tirsa Kali and Sayok as well more east coast though GREAT! I just wish it was closer all blade based and has Kerambit work too

There is even a historical european school in portland (their dagger work is ok if you carry long fixed blades)

Russian Martial Art Systema did 18 months of that for 8 hours a day Weird! but totally true and psycho when need be and always calm before and after great work if you can find a real teacher that is

MMA? Guru John Daniels was teaching at straight blast gym last I knew

thanks SnapShot! I totaly forgot about that school! need to rectify that mistake very great european work! in my humble opinion I would advise searching for some European arts they are just as technical as the asian ones!

thanks for asking and thanks to all for the info I am personally very rich after reading this info tonight

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top