JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's awesome you know so much if your history
I am old and infirm........it keeps my mind busy and is fun.........maby some of the future generations can enjoy the information too. I think knowledge of your earlier generations accomplishments and failures can encourage people to do great things and to avoid pitfalls that befell others.

It's kinda funny though, speaking of high vs "low" end knives, that a whole buncha people buy expensive($1-300) blades.. and then never use them. Yea, they might carry them a bit but the usual black coating on the blade is pristine and shows that might as well a bought a pet rock for all the good/utility it actually provided them. so nya! lol
I love knives and don't get hardly any "junk" though. anyhoo
whatever

Some very tasty choices in this thread!

My own list includes:

Benchmade
Nimravus fixed and Presidio 5000 axis-lock
Spyderco
Police G-10 scales, ATS-55 Spyder serrated blade
Chris Reeve
Mountaineer II, Nkonka 3V steel
Microtech
Ultratech and Ultratech II, LCC w/Carbon fiber scales bolster release
Pro-Tech
Godfather

Honorable mentions
Buck
110 Auto
Kershaw
Blackout
William Henry
B10 Lancet (sold) and ARC ZDP-189 kitchen knife set w/ oak scales
Burn 11" Latama square-button bayo blade in CM154 auto with honey horn scales.

All USA-Made, not any coincidence whatsoever.

Got more knives than I can easily remember, many hanging on the wall in our living room as "art". Generally carry Cold Steel Carbon-5 TM for camping/outdoor and an older Gerber lock-back folder with stag grips. Pocket choices include a Swiss Army "officier" as it was called on the box, and a Spyderco "Native" in cpms30v. Each of these have served me well. I had a decent Buck 120 that I used for 40 years, until it somehow sprouted legs and flew away...
One way and another I mostly choose Cold Steel as they have given exemplary service as knives, particularly the old carbon 5 which was, if my intel is correct, 1095 from (old, US) Camillus cutlery.

Got more knives than I can easily remember, many hanging on the wall in our living room as "art". Generally carry Cold Steel Carbon-5 TM for camping/outdoor and an older Gerber lock-back folder with stag grips. Pocket choices include a Swiss Army "officier" as it was called on the box, and a Spyderco "Native" in cpms30v. Each of these have served me well. I had a decent Buck 120 that I used for 40 years, until it somehow sprouted legs and flew away...
One way and another I mostly choose Cold Steel as they have given exemplary service as knives, particularly the old carbon 5 which was, if my intel is correct, 1095 from (old, US) Camillus cutlery.
I used to know old Lynn Thompson, (Cold Steel) one of my salvage yards was next to his shop in Ventura. He is a good guy and I really like his US made products, he makes some fun fantasy stuff offshore. He is an accomplished outdoorsman and a great supporter of shooting outdoor activities. I have a bunch of his products, they are useful and perform there intended use well. I enjoy some of the historical stuff he does. There is nothing really bad about anything he makes but it isn't the best either. The prices are reasonable for the quality. I have frequently given his products as gifts through the years.

I was in Portland this afternoon at an Orthotics clinic. Was I armed? DAMNED RIGHT I WAS! I discretely carried a razor-sharp Ganzo G19 Automatic and my Cold Steel Slim Line Walking Stick (Carbon Fiber shaft with an aluminum head). No one noticed or knew. (BTW, this was a "gun and knife-free campus"). RIGHT?! We can all see how well this worked, can't we?

Discretion is often the better part of valor.

Last Edited:
Knives are the same as AR's. You can get a low cost one, a mid priced one, or a high end expensive one. They all work to some degree.
Same with watches. A $20.00 Timex will tell you the time. But many spend much more for a mid range watch like a Seiko. And then there is the Rolex crowd. But, all will tell you the time.
Same with cars/trucks. Base model will work just fine. The limited model has more bells and whistles. But both will get you to where you need to be.

I think having pride in ownership has something to do with it all.

I was in Portland this afternoon at an Orthotics clinic. Was I armed? DAMNED RIGHT I WAS! I discretely carried a razor-sharp Ganzo G19 Automatic and my Cold Steel Slim Line Walking Stick (Carbon Fiber shaft with an aluminum head). No one noticed or knew. (BTW, this was a "gun and knife-free campus"). RIGHT?! We can all see how well this worked, can't we?

Discretion is often the better part of valor.
Imagine me singing (bad voice but you can't hear that) anyway singing in my best seven year old "I'm gonna tell I'm gonna tell I'm gonna tell"

Earlier I said I had a large Case Bowie, I was wrong it was a Western W49, I have not cleaned it since Vietnam and the sheath shows it
The western W49 was not uncommon during those years and it sure beat the dinky-dao bayonet that was issued with the M16/M16A1...
I have one that looks like a seriously freckled redhead... Wouldnt trade it for one of the new stainless versions that are around these days.:)

The western W49 was not uncommon during those years and it sure beat the dinky-dao bayonet that was issued with the M16/M16A1...
I have one that looks like a seriously freckled redhead... Wouldnt trade it for one of the new stainless versions that are around these days.:)
I bought mine at the Army PX in Fort MacArthur, near Los Angles late 1970 if I recall, I was returning to Vietnam. I had last carried a Army survival knife and a Philippine Bolo. I liked the Bolo well enough, but it had a bulky wooden sheath that I could only attach to my body armor. While I intended to get out of a downed aircraft with my armor on there are times when that is not possible. Also the new knife was more versatile for me. I carried a 'Old Timer' stockman style three blade pocket knife in a pocket, and a Army 'Boy Scout' style knife in my small survival kit. Spent a night half submerged in a rice paddy hence much of the Western's current 'Rugged Appearance'.

I bought mine at the Army PX in Fort MacArthur, near Los Angles late 1970 if I recall, I was returning to Vietnam. I had last carried an Army survival knife and a Philippine Bolo. I liked the Bolo well enough, but it had a bulky wooden sheath that I could only attach to my body armor. While I intended to get out of a downed aircraft with my armor on there are times when that is not possible. Also, the new knife was more versatile for me. I carried an 'Old Timer' stockman style three blade pocket knife in a pocket, and an Army 'Boy Scout' style knife in my small survival kit. Spent a night half submerged in a rice paddy hence much of the Western's current 'Rugged Appearance'.

It "earned" its appearance. Some of the "less than premium" commercial knives still worked when "push came to shove". (The Western sheath knife has battle-worn "character" hasn't it)? Those freaking rice paddies could rapidly take their toll on a blade with a higher carbon content. It has a memory that cannot be denied.

I'll tell you, my Buck 898 Impact is a handy knife. You should buy either that or a Buck 110 Auto. You'll appreciate Bucks craftsmanship and the price for either knife isn't prohibitive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top