JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me ask you guys this would you buy a fake Chinese remmy 700?a fake Chinese colt 1911?a fake Chinese Chevy silvarado?
I know people have a hard time throwing down $200 for a good pocket knife.but for me it's all the same. Am I going to belly ache if I lose a $250 knife,of course but I'd rather risk that than buy a counterfeit,Chinese child labor camp piece of crap that can't hold an edge,probably break in less than a year,and make me feel bad for supporting a overseas company stealing from an American company with great innovation,products,technology,and more importantly American workers,........please support American ,buy American and be american

I don't like or own fake or replica anything. They drive me nuts. I love my Puma knives, next year they will celebrate there 250th anniversary. When you pay good money for quality products you also take better care of them. I don't like junk anything.

I don't like or own fake or replica anything. They drive me nuts. I love my Puma knives, next year they will celebrate there 250th anniversary. When you pay good money for quality products you also take better care of them. I don't like junk anything.

My Buck 110 Auto is tighter than a gnat's arse and the steel is great. My Buck 898 is a bit slimmer (and lighter) allowing for easier pocket carry. The 110 Auto(s) I have (both a factory and a "round button" conversion) are great knives. They hold an edge like a dope fiend and open with a positive "click". The 898 Impact opens softly, but positively. The 898 Impact has an S30V steel blade I'll take it into small game hunting setting any time. It will skin as many rabbits, squirrels and other small game with consummate alacrity at any time. They're great "working" automatics.

My Buck 110 Auto is tighter than a gnat's arse and the steel is great. My Buck 898 is a bit slimmer (and lighter) allowing for easier pocket carry. The 110 Auto(s) I have (both a factory and a "round button" conversion) are great knives. They hold an edge like a dope fiend and open with a positive "click". The 898 Impact opens softly, but positively. The 898 Impact has an S30V steel blade I'll take it into small game hunting setting any time. It will skin as many rabbits, squirrels and other small game with consummate alacrity at any time. They're great "working" automatics.
Buck makes a very good knife for the money........and they have been an Idaho company for some time now....... (I have several) but I have never found a blade with steel equal to Puma Rockwell tested for holding an edge and quality craftsmanship in a factory manufactured knife. I built a drop point hunter years ago with German steel and real ivory scales that might be better but I have something like 1000.00 in it. It is really tough to beat the detail and perfection exerted by the German mind. It applies to everything from guns, optics, cars to knives and airplanes.

I kinda like this one...

0104WAS-B.jpg
https://www.buckknives.com/product/compadre-camp-knife/0104WAS-B/

345B842A-E0D9-424F-BC48-8D1F26E23210.jpeg I have 2 Becker's that I use a lot, a Companion and a larger magnum combat knife. For heavy work they are great. 1/4 inch thick high carbon tool steel with replaceable scales. I will dig up a photo. They are being made by Kbar today but mine are originals. This is the smaller Companion.

I'm a big fan of all the local companies, as well as the classics:

Buck, Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT, Gerber, Leatherman, etc...

For sheath knives, I love my Bucks, but have picked up a few Moraknivs over the last year and really like them so far. They're a good balance of cost vs quality, with a very simplistic design.

I like the Craftline, Companion, and Bushcraft models.

Amazon.com: Morakniv

Now now... some things German represent great quality and engineering, and some things German represent great marketing. Some only represent different tastes, like German beer.

My knives are Buck, Kershaw, Gerber, Leatherman tools. I also have a Schrade Uncle Mao Chinese knockoff becuase my wife gave it to me. I have a large number of very cheap knives that I throw in the glovebox, toolbox, camping box, etc, that I don't care a whit if I break or lose.

Nothing expensive for me... I'd rather spend the dough on a firearm. :)

I have a Benchmade folder that is above everything else I have ever had.

I have Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools as beaters. I have a SOG that is very sturdy but just doesn't get sharp in the Benchmade way.

20 years ago I had a fixed blade Benchmade special edition that was so amazing. If our laws weren't so absurd about fixed blade knives I would get one of those again. (I can carry 3 Glocks with extended mags but if I carry a fixed blade knife it is illegal. So stupid).

image.jpeg Just for fun here's a pic of rotating edc. I'd say the Severtech is my favorite it's built like a tank.im a huge Protech fan for the money I think Protech is the best value.the spydies are a low cost grail to me the don't make many autos so when I find one at a good price I snatch em up.microtech well they are Mt very pricey for the materials they use but fit and finish is pretty good and you gotta love an OTF .the buck is a custom 110 auto conversion ,I don't carry her much ,she's for lookin at.

I guess I cut my fingers too many times when a Boy Scout, I am really not into folding knives.......(the Victorinox I always carry is the exception) even with the great locks they have now, the hinge is a weak spot that I don't need in a primary tool like a knife. I really like my Chris Reeves (Boise) knives cut from a single bar of steel. I even sent one to my 101st airborne ranger step son that he carried while kicking doors in in Iraq. Chris has stopped making them and there prices have gone through the roof. My son's combat knife (that he wants to be hurried with) is a couple of thousand dollars on the collector's market.

Last Edited:
Oh, I have both. But I have never carried a full blade for EDC. Just too much "in the way" for me. Nowadays I only carry a pocket knife. But once I had a cheap knife fold on me when I was working on the floor of a pleasure boat, cut off the meat on one of my thumbs... interesting scar.

My stepson from first marriage bought me a really nice dive knife. Fixed blade, stainless steel. I don't remember what brand but now I have it mounted to my utility harness, the one that has the drinky thing and lots of pockets for hunting/survival stuff. I tried using it in 3-gun to carry AR mags and shotgun shells but it got in the way of my pistol draw.

Last Edited:
I love my American knives but also pack around the Ganzo $18.00 auto. The knife gets dangerously sharp and holds a decent edge. You'd be surprised at the utilitarian value of these instruments. The Chinese 440C steel is quite a good value for the price paid. There's a reason people keep buying these using them and giving them as gifts. They're not a Buck, nor are they a "high-dollar" auto, but they are useful tools.

The Captain has had plenty of experience with them. Ganzo knives are an excellent budget alternative. They are more than worth the "price of admission".

Now now... some things German represent great quality and engineering, and some things German represent great marketing. Some only represent different tastes, like German beer.

My knives are Buck, Kershaw, Gerber, Leatherman tools. I also have a Schrade Uncle Mao Chinese knockoff becuase my wife gave it to me. I have a large number of very cheap knives that I throw in the glovebox, toolbox, camping box, etc, that I don't care a whit if I break or lose.

Nothing expensive for me... I'd rather spend the dough on a firearm. :)
I found a W.German Mercator folder on the side of the road.
2nd thinnest knife I've ever seen and razor sharp.
Never lost its edge.

Dean

Last Edited:
Can someone explain to me why it's so hard for a lot of guys to buy a expensive ,quality knife? This is not a dig at anyone .But I'm willing to bet that if your spending time on this forum it's probable that you have fine firearms.quality hunting equipment to protect you from the elements. Nice hunting or hiking boots.probably a great big diesel truck to pull your camper or boat. So why do people in general including people in my family just think it's crazy to spend even $200 for a good knife?
I'm not understanding.

Can someone explain to me why it's so hard for a lot of guys to buy a expensive ,quality knife? This is not a dig at anyone .But I'm willing to bet that if your spending time on this forum it's probable that you have fine firearms.quality hunting equipment to protect you from the elements. Nice hunting or hiking boots.probably a great big diesel truck to pull your camper or boat. So why do people in general including people in my family just think it's crazy to spend even $200 for a good knife?
I'm not understanding.
I am with you.......I have way more than I will ever need but a really high quality knife is truly a multiple generation investment. You don't need a lot of them but in some situations the quality of your knife can dictate your survival. My grandfather left us some good guns and some pure junk that I would be embarrassed to own and are as dangerous to the shooter as the shootee. They are curious because of there poor quality. When I am gone a few generations, I want people to remember me for who I was and the quality I left behind for them......the other thing in context of this thread, he asked about "the best" not the best for the money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top