JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:s0124:
From what I learned they are a cheap Chinese knock off of other knives made by reputable makers, I'm saving my money!
You may or may not get your money's worth, and the Chinese steal more of our hard earned money by selling us crap. :mad:
Just my $0.02 worth.

Since I made a bubblegum of myself with this post, I decided to get a cheap knife for an EDC and save my Bucks, I just don't want to lose them. I found and ordered a "Enlan EL-04"
it is a fist full with a similar locking stud that Benchmade uses, not as good or smooth but it locks up tight and the 8Cr13Mov steel takes and holds a edge well, I've had it about 2 months now and only sharpened it twice and got it razor sharp, since then all I've done is keep it stropped. I'm happy with it having spent less than $15 shipping included. If it falls out of my pocket somewhere, I won't get too upset, because it won't be one of my Bucks! Sign me,
"Eating Crow Gabby" :s0124:

I have been using these Coast pocket knives for EDC and at work for a few years now. Gave my original to my brother when he started working with me and bought a new one for myself. Would not hesitate to buy another if needed. I like that it is tip up carry, partially serrated and the spring assisted action is very smooth. Plus you can lock it in the open position so it won't close on you accidentally.
Coast Knives Rapid Response 3.90 Black Spring Assisted Knife - Black Serr - Blade Play

Recently got my first benchmade and love it. Used Kershaw and CRKT knives for a long time. The kershaws would loose the screws out of the pocket clips pretty regularly but the blades were excellent and the price was good. I have a gerber multitool and a large gerber fixed blade (both newer) and they function, not my favorite but they function.

A Big one I see missing from this list is Leatherman. Who doesn't have a leatherman tool that they use the ever loving hell out of?

Military "surplus" and gear stores abound near Ft. Benning GA, where I recently hung out for a couple days with one of my boys on his way to Airborne. Killed some time at knife counters in a couple such stores where I noted they were stocked exclusively with:
- Gerber
- CRKT
- Leatherman
- Kershaw
- Benchmade

Hadn't given it much thought before, but it's good to know we make something here in the NW besides whiny entitled pseudo-intellectual liberals in skinny jeans and doucheknots.

Esee has 2 folders (different lengths)

Knifeworks.com sells them starting at $24 and I got the highest end one (metal and scales) for $54 shipped.

Bought it for hard use at work and after a couple months it has never needed a sharpening and has worn in so it's fast to open, clip holds in the pocket well, it even has held up from a few drops ok concrete.

I also like that it is thin but fits my xxl hands well and is made in the USA;).

I'm really glad I retired my favorite kershaw that was my edc for 12 years, and very glad the Esee has filled its shoes well.

Funny, I tend to baby my nicer "brand-name" knives (like I listed previously) because I want them to last forever, and abuse the hell out of cheap M-Tech knockoffs, which tend to hold up very nicely with occasional sharpening.

Last Edited:
Funny, I tend to baby my nicer "brand-name" knives (like I listed previously) because I want them to last forever, and abuse the hell out of cheap M-Tech knockoffs, which tend to hold up very nicely with occasional sharpening.
I too, have three or four of those cheap knockoffs, maybe why my 'good' knives have held up.

Gerber makes some nice stuff - LMF II, Prodigy, and I bought a number of their BG folding knives.

But you have to do your research - some of their stuff is crap, some is good value.

I had people tell me my BG folding knife would snap like glass because it was made in China. So it being cheap ($16), I batoned with it, stuck it in a round and tried to twist it out and I pounded it. It loosened up a bit at the hinge, but still locks and did not break. You generally do not do those things with any folder and expect it to hold up. For $16 I thought it was a pretty good deal even if it eventually breaks and bought 5 more of them (2 for gifts, others for barter and backup).

I look for value, durability and utility. I am usually not disappointed and I have yet to spend over $100 for a knife.

I have one Kershaw, an SOG as a gift, a number of Ka Bars (which I like), so CRKT, a few Cold Steel, some Schrades, Morakniv, some Old Timers, Tool Logic and a Fallkniven.

I was disappointed with the design of some of those (CS and Schrade machetes) but only Tool Logic disappointed me with quality - my last order from them was a couple inexpensive folders that arrived broken (scales were broken).

I carry a TL folder as an EDC, but besides the fact that it is a folder, has a light and whistle - I don't think that much of it, I just carry it because it has those things.

In short, many of the major brand names have some good and some bad, and you have to do your homework on each knife.

Just realized I have my EDC "knife" sitting right next to me...so I snapped a little piccy for you guys...

WIN_20170827_07_57_21_Pro.jpg

You might chuckle, but it was 50 cents, carries invisibly, ALWAYS works for whatever I need to cut and I still have plenty of extra blades left in the box I bought with it....7 1/2 years ago.
I'm happy. :)

Dean

My favorite knifes on a budget are Moras for fixed blades and Victorinox for folders. For under $20.00 a great fixed blade Mora can be had and for under $40.00 you can get a great multi blade folder. The Mora clipper or a Victorinox Farmer or a treckker are hard to beat. That being said my favorite EDC knifes are a CR Small Sebanza, Spyderco endura, or a Benchmade 940. Truth be told anything with a pointy tip and a sharp blade makes me happy. I just ordered three Gonzo knifes from China and a Schrade auto from Blade HQ to have something new to play with. Curious how the fit and finish will be.

There can only be one..
Randall Made Knives
They are no doubt great knives, some of the best available, but maybe just a bit WAY over priced, and the fan boys are willing to spend it. I bought a Randall made sheath at a gun show...just the sheath and paid $15 hoping it would fit my pre war KABAR... and it didn't.. so I put it up on ebay for $100 because that's what some similar sheathes were up for...and it sold within the first day. Wish I'd done an auction, turns out I could have got more. Found out later it was a highly sought after 70's Johnson roughback, and you can only get new Randall branded sheathes if you send in your knife and have them matched or some such... It was a really nice sheath.

Benchmade and Helle
Both are craftsman quality products. Helle makes a very nice triple laminated stainless blade with a Scandinavian grind that you can shave with. And I'd be hard pressed to find a solid edc folder that I'd consider as a replacement for my benchmade.
(Helle knives Pictured: top to bottom- Nying, Odel, Algonquin, Trofe)

1528158126471689760433.jpg

Benchmade and Helle
Both are craftsman quality products. Helle makes a very nice triple laminated stainless blade with a Scandinavian grind that you can shave with. And I'd be hard pressed to find a solid edc folder that I'd consider as a replacement for my benchmade.
(Helle knives Pictured: top to bottom- Nying, Odel, Algonquin, Trofe)

View attachment 466054

While I love the craftsmanship of Helle, I despise sharpening a scandi grind. I know it is a skill, like any, that gets better with practice, but I just don't enjoy it. Same reason I stopped getting moras. They are some of the best knife for the money, but I just hate sharpening them.

Best knife brand? It really comes down to preference. There are so many companies that make exceptional blades. I wish I could like Benchmade, but their folders are just ugly to me. Zero Tolerance has some awesome designs with similar quality. Cold Steel, even though their advertising is ridiculous, does make some great knives, and many at a bargain.

I admit, I am a knife snob. I have been collecting knives for over 20 years and I really appreciate a high quality well made knife. Many of my EDC's are custom made and some would think I am nuts if they knew what they cost. God forbid if when I die my wife sells them for what I told her I paid. :eek:
The best advice I can offer is to buy what you like and buy the very best that you can afford. This applies to a lot more than just knives. Firearms, flashlights, etc.
Benchmade and Kershaw are both Oregon companies and it is good to support them. They have a wide range of knives in both quality and price. 20$ for one of their line made in China to up to around $300.00 for a US made folder with titanium scales and high end blade steel. Spyderco also makes a good knife and has the same selection.

Just like anything else you get what you pay for.All my friends and family think I'm crazy for spending $300,$400 for a good switchblade ,and a lot of you probably won't believe me when I say you can feel the difference ,.ive had the $80 chineses OTF auto and people get and think they are great then a month later they ere like what a piece of **** I've had Microtech for more than 5-6 years now and use them everyday and still function like new .american knives are worth the money if your on a budget go with benchmade they have an unbeatable warranty,and great customer service. I just sent in a Griptillian that I dropped and broke the tip off my blade.$30 bucks and I got a new blade all new screws ,a new pocket clip,they even replaced my scales because one had a small crack.spyderco is a little cheaper yet and if you know how to sharpen you can put a mirror finish on it and they hold up very well,tough ,solid decent fit and finish.There is no cheap Chinese crap out there that is worth buying. That Ganzo crap is cheap crap and as an American we should be personally offended that a overseas company can steal designs from reputable ,American companies and profit from the crap they spew out and flood the market with look alike junk and dishonest and crooke people try to list as the real thing to scam people out of their money's!!!!
You can get on Armslist and gunbroker and see where the Chinese purposely make their boxes look like the products they are trying to copy ....sorry for ranting but don't support that crap .americans make great products they will outlast cheap poorly built junk always.Better products,better warranty ,what's not to like ,price?
Well I'd rather buy one well built knife than feel thrifty.

Just like anything else you get what you pay for.All my friends and family think I'm crazy for spending $300,$400 for a good switchblade ,and a lot of you probably won't believe me when I say you can feel the difference ,.ive had the $80 chineses OTF auto and people get and think they are great then a month later they ere like what a piece of **** I've had Microtech for more than 5-6 years now and use them every day and still function like new .american knives are worth the money if your on a budget go with benchmade they have an unbeatable warranty,and great customer service. I just sent in a Griptillian that I dropped and broke the tip off my blade.$30 bucks and I got a new blade all new screws, a new pocket clip, they even replaced my scales because one had a small crack.spyderco is a little cheaper yet and if you know how to sharpen you can put a mirror finish on it and they hold up very well,tough, solid, decent fit and finish. There is no cheap Chinese crap out there that is worth buying. That Ganzo crap is cheap crap and as an American we should be personally offended that an overseas company can steal designs from reputable, American companies and profit from the crap they spew out and flood the market with look-alike junk and dishonest and crooked people try to list as the real thing to scam people out of their money's!!!!
You can get on Armslist and Gunbroker and see where the Chinese purposely make their boxes look like the products they are trying to copy ....sorry for ranting but don't support that crap .americans make great products they will outlast cheap poorly built junk always. Better products, better warranty, what's not to like, price?
Well, I'd rather buy one well-built knife than feel thrifty.

I understand that, but I have two Ganzo knives. If they break, that's okay. My Buck 110 Auto is built to provide a lifetime of service (so is my Buck 898 Impact). Yes, I have American, Italian and Chinese Automatics. I can tell the difference but I like them all. Yes, I have a Benchmade but it is in storage).

I have an Italian OTF and, for $40.00 it is a fine user. It has a 440A steel blade, but it still holds an edge. I enjoy my knives. If I can't use it, I don't really want it. The action is good, and as an AGA Campolin product, I can't complain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top