JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, does this mean you can't BBQ in Britain or you just can't cut it up to eat it.
Knives don't bother me although my neighbor's lawn mower scares me a bit.
Those spinning blades are just plain evil.

So, the folks in the pic are the people wanting the ban on knives? I just want to know so when I look at them I know THAT, is what stoopid looks like. People with common sense and brains need to know what stoopid looks like, so those people can be called out any time they are seen in public.

Worked with a green card Brit who had stated a strong opinion about gun control at home.
I got him to open up about it and it seems, when he was a young boy, his drunk uncle was STABBED to death by a drunk "girl friend":s0153:.
I thought that was quite a leap to supporting a gun ban.
From the 1st day here his main goal was to become a US citizen and get out of the green card merry-go-round.

Years later he/his wife/and young son returned to his home land and among the stories he had upon is return was about attending a major soccer game.
It was clear he had attended said game without his wife and son so I asked him why.
He said that the rowdy fans (hooligans?) would sometimes fight and THROW DARTS INTO THE CROWD :s0125:.
Something you will never read about/see reported anywhere.
Lots of other weird stuff I learned from him about his beliefs and life over there.
:D

Worked with a green card Brit who had stated a strong opinion about gun control at home.
I got him to open up about it and it seems, when he was a young boy, his drunk uncle was STABBED to death by a drunk "girl friend":s0153:.
I thought that was quite a leap to supporting a gun ban.
From the 1st day here his main goal was to become a US citizen and get out of the green card merry-go-round.

Years later he/his wife/and young son returned to his home land and among the stories he had upon is return was about attending a major soccer game.
It was clear he had attended said game without his wife and son so I asked him why.
He said that the rowdy fans (hooligans?) would sometimes fight and THROW DARTS INTO THE CROWD :s0125:.
Something you will never read about/see reported anywhere.
Lots of other weird stuff I learned from him about his beliefs and life over there.
:D
Throwing darts into the crowd? Yikes. At Giants games the misfits used to chuck D-cell batteries randomly across the seating. Imagine getting hit in the head with one of those out of nowhere? :eek:

2018 UK Knife Law Changes for the outdoor enthusiast

2018 UK Knife Law Changes
Changes to UK Knife Law and what it means for the outdoor enthusiast
In the past weeks the news has featured several stories on UK knife crimes, knife law and the perception of knives as weapons as well as tools. This was followed by the announcement of a new Offensive Weapons Bill which will begin the process of changing of what is considered a legal knife, where they can be used/carried by the general public and how they can be acquired.
Last year a consultation on offensive and dangerous weapons was published, which caused a lot of discussion online from knife makers, owners and collectors from all sectors.

Whilst this is currently a bill (not yet an Act of Parliament, see the differences here) it is likely that some significant changes are coming for those who collect knives or purchase them for outdoor use.

Knives Purchased Online
The big changes are mostly about the types of knives and 'weapons' that can be owned in private and where they can be carried, but one change that is likely to have an impact on an outdoor user is a ban on knives being bought online being shipped to a residential address. Exactly how this will work and what workarounds can be created (shipping to a work address, pickup from a nominated place and so on) remains to be seen, but it will add a layer of complexity for those buying knives online.

Flick Knives and One-Handed Opening
Something mentioned in the original consultation document was an update to the definition of what constitutes an (already banned in the U.K.) flick knife:

England, Wales and Scotland
The current definition of flick knives in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 is
outdated and refers to the mechanism that activates the blade being in the handle. We will
delete the reference to the switch blade mechanism being in the handle, as manufacturers
now place the mechanism in a part of the knife that can be argued is part of the blade.
This means the prohibition on the sale, manufacture and importing of flick knives cannot
be circumvented through changes in their design.

Will this include knives with a thumbstud that can be opened with one hand? If so this will include knives that are very useful as rescue tools for climbing, mountaineering and canoeing/kayaking where one-handed operation could be crucial for a lifesaving cutaway from a rope entrapment.

UK Knife Law and EDC
This isn't the first post we've put together on UK knife laws for the outdoor user, but it's important in a country with strict knife-carry laws to be aware of any changes made and, potentially, how your useful outdoor tool is perceived by someone else.

UK Knife Laws: Restrictions, Prohibitions, & What's Legal to Carry/EDC

UK Knife Laws: Restrictions, Prohibitions, & What's Legal to Carry

February 2, 2017 By Thomas Xavier | Updated: February 19, 2017 21 Comments

UK knife laws are a minefield of conjecture and hearsay. It seems everyone has an idea of what they can and can't carry, but in reality, the situation here is both very simple and extremely nuanced depending on the application of the law as per what law enforcement "feels" the law should be.

This is an article that is targeted very much at my fellow Brits. That being said, those of you overseas might get a kick out of learning about some of the nonsense we have to deal with.

British law as it pertains to knives is the perfect example of laws being written by humans out of populist knee jerk reaction to events. We have specific laws that "ban" knives with the word "combat" written on the blade, as well as knives that have zombie themes. This is not a joke, our government really did pass these laws, and yes, I believe them to be as ridiculous as you reading likely do.

In practical, day to day terms, I find that my knife purchasing habits after having moved from Canada back to the UK have not actually changed significantly. My EDC habits of course have, but more on this later.

The Law: Restrictions & Prohibitions
You can read the whole shebang over here; but the gist of it is that much of the law is based on intent and perception rather than clear technical terms. A Chef can carry a fixed blade knife to work, but an office worker can't. A construction worker can EDC a Stanley knife to work, but the same can't be said for a teacher. You get the gist of it.

Generally speaking you cannot carry any knife in public unless you have a good reason, and therein lies the conundrum. Back in Canada, I EDC'd my much loved Cold Steel Voyager for general EDC tasks, but in the UK, whilst I think my uses hold a damn valid reason to carry this knife – the police would not. This "perception" clause is why our knife laws are a mess.

A lot of sheeple see something in the news about a teen stabbing someone to death and think – "Why can't they ban knives?" The reality is that you cannot ban something based on how scary it looks. The anti-gun folk are very similar in that regard as they don't want AR-15's because they are perceived as "offensive" weapons, but a bolt action .223 rifle has equal or superior ballistics performance, so banning things based on how scary they look makes absolutely zero practical sense.

UK Legal Knife Clause: Knives You Can Carry Without a Valid Reason
Interestingly, the UK has a clause that allows you to carry a folding knife as long as it meets the following prerequisites. You can carry a knife that meets these prerequisites without any valid reason;

• Must fold
  • Sub 3″ blade
  • No lock
  • Manual deployment
Every other kind of knife will be scrutinized through the eyes of law enforcement on the basis that you have to have a good reason to be carrying it. And of course, law enforcement is unlikely to share our views on knives as tools.

Note: If you'd like to see a list of UK-legal knives we'd recommend, you can do so by clicking here. You can also take a look at all the reviews we've published on UK-friendly folders here.

Prohibited Knives Under UK Law
Knives that are utterly prohibited include the following;

• Automatics
  • Gravity knives (Never understood that one, all gravity knives that I have handled have been utter bubblegum).
  • Balisongs
  • Knives that are designed to look like something else- hairbrush knife etc.
  • So called "stealth knives" like the Cold Steel FGX which are not made of steel.
  • Zombie knives which is a knife that has words or imagery that suggests violence (I feel deep shame in my country after typing this out, bureaucracy gone mad).
  • Walking sticks that feature a sword within them.
  • Push Daggers
I know, ridiculous. Thankfully, due to how broad the definitions are, the loopholes are numerous and in my experience I can buy any knife here that I was able to buy in Canada.

They'd better add human fists and feet to the banned item list. And of course the automobiles that terrorists there use to run over innocent civilians. That will stop all crime.

I remember a quote from a TV show - sorta -
idea was that a baddie had been in someones house,
they defended themselves with a cricket bat
Cop: "a bat in the bedroom, always a bad idea"

I believe the show was Torchwood, Season 2 episode 2.

"Looking for trouble" "sports equipment in the bedroom" first 30 seconds of video.

So, do yourself a favor and keep a ball and (?? glove??) with your cricket equipment.
Or, keep it locked up.

It's just unbelievable that an entire nation/region/culture believes completely in never fighting back and just being victims. Should have just let Hitler have them.

Throwing darts into the crowd? Yikes. At Giants games the misfits used to chuck D-cell batteries randomly across the seating. Imagine getting hit in the head with one of those out of nowhere? :eek:
Yeh, he also told me the darts are why the spectators wore hard hats to the game.
So I watched a game...sure enough hard hats :eek:
All this was 20+ years ago and things may have changed now...maybe frisked for darts/metal detector/ etc. stuff like that.
:s0092:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads