JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is not the only problem. Kitsap County is trying to pass a new ordnance that threatens all of the public rifle ranges in the county. <broken link removed>

A permit will be required to operate the range. Here is part of what the proposed ordnance says.

DCD may immediately suspend or revoke an operating permit upon the Director's finding that the permit's terms have been violated or that any participant, spectator, neighboring property or member of the public has been injured or endangered as a result of range design, operation or management of shooting activities.
So all the Director needs to do is claim there is a problem and the permit can be revoked.

All shooting ranges shall have at least one safety officer on duty at all times shooting activities occur
Some ranges train their members instead of babysitting them. The KRRC requires a training course before using the range unsupervised.

Each shooting area shall be designed, operated and maintained to minimize the sound level of noise produced by the shooting range which can be heard outside the range property. The operating permit may be conditioned upon the range adopting and following procedures or a plan to mitigate or reduce measurable sound levels which can be heard in populated areas outside of the range property;
In other words, a person can move in close to the range, then complain about the noise. That is what is happening now. It was only last year that the KRRC learned they were able to install noise abatement devices and not run afoul of RCW 9.41.250 which prohibits the use of any device which suppresses the noise of a firearm. Prior to the AG's informal opinion on the matter, Russ Hauge was of the opinion that use of a shooting enclosure would be illegal.

Ranges shall not allow the use of exploding targets, the use of cannons or the storage of explosives, without issuance of a temporary use permit; and
Start restricting one type of firearm, and others will follow.

Shooting ranges may allow shooting only between the hours of 9 a.m. and the earlier of 8 p.m. or one half-hour after sunset,
In WA the sun sets at about 4:20 pm in December. So this allows us to shoot from 9-5. While this is ok to accommodate most people, there is no good reason for it. People moved close to the range knowing it was there.

There is only one way to keep this from becoming the law in Kitsap County. Show up at any county commissioner's meeting to tell them how you feel.

The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club is also being threaten with a lawsuit over noise, safety and zoning issues. The trial is scheduled for August. http://www.save-our-range.org/

Ranb

The club has been there since 1928? Seems to me they have some standing on the premise that people moved in proximity knowing there was a firing range within earshot, and if they were ignorant of that fact maybe suggest they file a suit aginst their real estate agent for not disclosing that info.

That has not protected the club from noise and safety complaints. It will not protect them from the county if they pass a new ordnance that allows them to refuse a permit for any reason. All they have to do is find a single bullet hole in a tree above the berm and they can declare that the club has endangered the public.

Unless the public tells the commissioners that the range needs to stay, the county will shut it down as there are more than a few people who want to see it gone.

Ranb

This is what happens when you let those idiots from Seattle to cross on the ferries.They bring that stupid thinking over here and pollute everyone

This is what happens when people choose (elect) the wrong people to represent them then do not tell them how (by speaking out) to do their job. We deserve the laws we get because we elect the peopel that make them. We need to get involved by writing and attending county meetings.

Ranb

Wow, looks like some people really want to close your range. Hopefully, you'll prevail.

I believe that if you move next to a shooting range, racetrack, airport, railroad tracks, or any other location that makes lots of noise you have no right to whine and complain about the noise they make.

I have done some research into the complaints filed and have talked with range members and non members. In my humble opinion no range should be shut down however it seems that KRRC does need to address some safety issues. Here is a link from the K. County Pros. office on the actual issues involved. Not just noise but environmental and safety as well. I would love to see the KRRC continue to operate and I would even consider membership once I am convinced that they can conform to reasonable safety regulations. I am not supporting either side of this debate, just trying to bring the other side of the story into this thread so that WE as reasonable gun enthusiests can be educated on all that is involved with this subject. I wish the best to the KRRC and hope that a reasonable resolution can be found between Ranges, neighbors and politicans.

<broken link removed>

Well unless the Prosecutors office is flat out lying,the gun club kinda set itself up.
When ever you are running such a polarizing business,you need to follow rules and zoning laws.Otherwise you just make yourself look like you think your above all those things.Kind of makes the gun community look bad,as a whole.
I agree with the 'move next to a gun club or airport and understand there will be noise' concept.But I also understand that if your going to run the club different than what you have permits for and change things without permits or hearings your supposed to have,then you take the results of your actions
And I cannot just come on here blindly and say those rats at the county,and those neighbors,they're wrong,just to sound good on this forum.

Not when YOU didn't play by the rules
Oh,and if someone does file environmental claims against the club,it won't be very good

Many of the claims are distortions by the prosucutors office.

I think the Houge has a personal vendetta/agenda and is hidding behind his office to try to accomplish it. otherwise why shop for a venue that may be more favorable to the results he desires.

He also passed a case off to Seattle in hopes tha he could win the case, in spite of losing 11 times in kitsap county.

If he prosucuted crime they way he is trying to prosucute us he would be a great CP. But alas he is not.

Well if he is distorting claims,then you need to go after him.He isn't above the law.

If he is,then you should be able to show all the documents necessary to thwart his claims and snuff this fight.
Sue him for harassment,maybe

Well if he is distorting claims,then you need to go after him.He isn't above the law.

If he is,then you should be able to show all the documents necessary to thwart his claims and snuff this fight.
Sue him for harassment,maybe

Sure all you need is really deep pockets and other public employees that are not in his pocket, no problem there right?

Tell who ever is defending the range to look into the suits filled against Pearson Air Park and the court actions involved. In the end the Airpark which has been there since 1927 won with the Judge dismissing all complaints with prejudice to end the stupid idea you could move next to an airport older then your grandparents and complain about the noise to try to shut them down.

Also look into the National Historical Registry as a way to stop them messing with your operation

Another angle.... now is a GREAT time to buy up real estate for EXCELLENT prices... you shut the gun club down via "conveniently passed" ordinances, exercise "eminent domain" and any "public official's" rich developer buddies get a very desirable tract of land at a pittance of the real value for future development, then make a FORTUNE when they build the next several sub-divisions... follow the money trail, the links will all be there, dig deep!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top