JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad to see this thread heading in the right direction. Some good ideas here. Definitely if the range was there first the county was responsible for approving some poorly planned subsequent construction. They need to work with the range to work out a reasonable solution, not just shut it down. If they can't THEN fire them and elect some folks who can.
Just gotta think a litte bit about the best solution but this is definitely headed in the right direction IMO.

Are there any outdoor rifle ranges in WA set up to stop bullets that are aimed over the berm or ricochet? The only one I have ever seen so equipped was in North Carolina

Ranb

The 200 yard line on the rifle line is a cut out hill about 60-80ft above the firing line. When standing at the 200 yard line the top of the hill is about 20ft above the target line. The rules are all shots must hit the berms. All targets are to be placed in such a way that rounds are hitting berms and not the ground. If anyone doesn't follow this they are corrected immediately by the RSOs and if they don't comply they are ejected.

riverrat, you are uniformed to what it takes to establish a new shooting range.

I want to write about the meeting last night, but I am so mad I can't right. I will say only that we can use your support and whatever resources you have to offer in this fight for freedom would be very gratefully and carefully used.

The website is gunsafety.org.

Thanks folks

Are there any outdoor rifle ranges in WA set up to stop bullets that are aimed over the berm or ricochet? The only one I have ever seen so equipped was in North Carolina

Ranb

Yes, Suntargets Shooting Range east of Yakima on SR 24 maybe 10-15 miles. There are signs on the road directing you there. It has both baffles and berms because it is in an area where there are several farms/homes close together. It has both pistol and rifle ranges. The rifle range even has a target pit and target holders that you can raise and lower. But it is only a 100 meter range. Overall its a pretty nice little setup-privately owned. Last time I was there they charged $5 or something. I have only used it once or twice since I can shoot anything from a BB gun to a 300 win mag in my back yard pretty much anytime I want, but its one of the best outdoor ranges I have seen.

I'm sorry I missed the meeting last night. The wife and I have been sick the past few days and dinner ran late. There just didn't seem to be enough time to get everything done last night. What all was said at the meeting?

Marcus said he sent out 800 emails (1000 memebers) with about 150 bouncing back. At least 100 members showed up for the meeting that lasted about 90 minutes. Ms. Simpson was present, she is running for Finn's position in the House. The range lawyer was there, but I forget her name. There was a middled aged asian woman present with camera/notepad who I think was a member of the press, but I am not sure.

The club's version of events was presented, in partial contrast to what was said in the article linked to in the OP. There is supposed to be a meeting at the county commissioners office at 614 (615?) Division street. I think the lawsuit is going to be discussed at that meeting, but I have to find out more this weekend.

Donations were accepted for the expected legal fight. Myself and others gave up to $100 each. I will post more info as I find out.

Ranb

riverrat, you are uniformed to what it takes to establish a new shooting range.

I'm not saying that it's easy. I'm just saying that a new school would cost tens of millions of dollars. I don't doubt that there are many problems establishing a new range beginning with where to site it, permits and opposition to a gun range in general. Hopefully something can be worked out to make the existing range a safer range so that it won't be closed. I'm a little frustrated when somebody says something silly like "The range was there first! Move the school.":)

Figures Marcus would send the email to the wrong address for me. I've emailed him about 4 or 5 times to change the email he has for me, but he must not pay attention to incoming email. It would be nice to know when the county meeting is so I could be there. But if he keeps sending email to an account I only check once a week then I might miss it.

It's about getting a cease and desist order against this club. Once you cease fire, it is almost impossible to get going again. A classic example is the Farragut range in Bayview ID. Several million in buffers and berms and still the injunction is not lifted.

Good Luck to All in this fight.

The last thing I'd like to see is another range shut down. But with a school now within range (technically) I think this is going to be a real tough, long and expensive fight. It may never end.

You may decide to appoint a very discreet officer who can speak for the range to begin a backroom discussion with the county about land swap. It's not right. With such a long history the range should have primacy. But it is what it is.

Klahowya School has been around since 1997. It seems they did not have a problem with the rifle range back then, so what is the problem now? Someone is probably looking to make money off of some kind of deal if the club is forced to stop using it as a rifle range and moves off of the land.

Hardly anyone is concerned about the proximity of houses or schools to the rifle range. They had their time to make a fuss a long time ago. Anyone making noise now instead of years ago has integrity issues in my opinion.

Ranb

Good points Ranb. They built the school knowing how close the range is and that is an argument to be made. I hope for your sake your case doesn't have to be made by expensive lawyers and that the prosecuter, salaried by the county, doesn't outspend your resources by dragging this on through environmental, legal, zoning, or whatever processes. If I had something to offer I'd drive down today ... hey, could you use a geologist who's headed to Afghanistan in two weeks?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top