JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>
The Kitsap County Prosecutor’s Office has filed a lawsuit seeking to shut down a gun range on Seabeck Highway, where officials say stray bullets endanger neighbors and people living up to four miles away.

There is a meeting at the rifle range to address this tonight at 7:30 pm.

Ranb

This county is so anti gun it's insane. The county tried to get the land from DNR so they could shut down KRRC. But DNR sold the land to KRRC. Now this. Our county commissioner is a commie lefty and so is the county prosecutor.

According to Koon's (Gary Koon, Kitsap County's shooting-range expert) analysis, a .44 Remington Magnum pistol fired from the KRRC pistol range could travel 2,500 yards, which places Klahowya Secondary School within range.

2,500yds with a .44 magnum? BBBBBBB SSSSSSS!

My question is: Exactly where does one go to school to become a 'shooting range expert'.

Keith

This county is so anti gun it's insane. The county tried to get the land from DNR so they could shut down KRRC. But DNR sold the land to KRRC. Now this. Our county commissioner is a commie lefty and so is the county prosecutor.

As far as I know, the DNR and the county land trade went through, then the club bought the land from the county. From what I have heard, the club's latest (before the lawsuit) problem was the tax rate. Before the land trade, the land was taxed as "nearly worthless", now the county wants to tax it as valuable real estate with a rifle range on it. I may be wrong, if anyone knows better, let me know.

I went to the land swap meeting at the county commissioner's office last year. I was surprised to see how many little old ladies got up to speak out in support of the rifle range.

Ranb

I was at the range last 4th of July when Marcus explained how the deal went down. The DNR was going to do the land swap, but KRRC convinced them that they should get the land since they were there before the county existed. So DNR sold the land to KRRC. But the land around KRRC did go to the county. KRRC has been looking into purchasing the surrounding land, and now the county wants to shut them down, again. Remember, the stupid commie county commissioner is the same guy that shut down the paint ball park in Port Orchard because paint ball involves shooting at people. I don't know about the tax situation, but that doesn't surprise me. The county wants people with home businesses to get a ACUP permit for their business. The ACUP is a $5000 permit for developers who are subdividing property. I think I was also at that county meeting and spoke in support of the range too.

I'm just glad the county sheriff's office folks are cool.

Remember, the stupid commie county commissioner is the same guy that shut down the paint ball park in Port Orchard because paint ball involves shooting at people.

RageFace.png

Print out a picture of his face, staple to the head of a cardboard silhouette target, duct tape a shaken up code red mountain dew to the back of the head, enjoy. :cool:

According to Koon's (Gary Koon, Kitsap County's shooting-range expert) analysis, a .44 Remington Magnum pistol fired from the KRRC pistol range could travel 2,500 yards, which places Klahowya Secondary School within range.

My question is: Exactly where does one go to school to become a 'shooting range expert'.

Keith

I call BS on your BS.

If you fire at about 30 degrees elevation it will go 2500 yards and impact at ~330fps.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi

According to Koon’s (Gary Koon, Kitsap County’s shooting-range expert) analysis, a .44 Remington Magnum pistol fired from the KRRC pistol range could travel 2,500 yards, which places Klahowya Secondary School within range.

According to Sierra ballistics software, the max range of their 240 grain .429 caliber bullet at 1400 fps muzzle velocity is 2200 yards, a .308 165 SP bullet at 2800 fps will go over 4900 yards. Some 22lr ammo boxes claim that they are dangerous out to 1-1/2 miles.

We can not make the mistake of being arrogant here. Almost everyone knows that bullets can travel very far if not shot safely. We need to ask, "Is there any evidence that any bullet shot over the berm at the KRRC has ever caused any damage to property or injured anyone?"

The person bringing the lawsuit has apple evidence that such things could occur, we have to demonstrate that they are very unlikely to happen if we want to keep shooting there.

Ranb
KRRC member since 2000.

Thanks for the ballistics guys lets keep this thread about the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club and the assault on our rights by the anti-gun enemy, Kitsap County Prosecutor Russ Hauge.

<broken link removed>

BTW, Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club has been open for 84 years, just now it seems it is a problem?

Washington residents need to take notice, the state is going exactly the direction that California has gone, take back your rights now and start booting these turkeys out before they turn the state into the great utopia that is California.

BTW, Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club has been open for 84 years, just now it seems it is a problem?

Washington residents need to take notice, the state is going exactly the direction that California has gone, take back your rights now and start booting these turkeys out before they turn the state into the great utopia that is California.

Maybe the problem stems more from uncontrolled development than anti-gun prosecutors? I know that many areas that I used to shoot now have prohibitions against discharging firearms because of encroaching development.
That's the price we pay when cities and counties refuse to stand up to developers!:(

I have never been to this gun range and probably never will, but seems to me one question is whether there is an adequate back stop for the range. If there is, then the question of stray bullet travel should not be an issue. If there isn't maybe the county has a point, and the solution is to address this concern (if possible) and not shut down the range. I have read cases in the past where stray bullets from ranges have killed some folks--due mainly to a poorly designed or improperly situated range. In any case looking at the issue the county posed and how to fix it may be more productive than just hammering the county authorities.

Here is a section of google maps showing the KRRC and surrounding area.

krrcmap.jpg

It clearly shows that a firearm carefully aimed in the right direction will send a bullet far enough to impact something undesirable. I also believe that those distances shown mean that a ricocheting (and tumbling) bullet will not travel far enough to do any damage to the property 2000 plus yards away.

Ranb

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! Move the school at taxpayer expense because some idiot in the county or city planning department screwed up! You know that's not going to happen nor should it.:s0114:

be closed because of it. The range existed long before the school and developments. Therefor they were aware of the range (as was the county) and chose to build anyway. If there is a problem it's THEIRS, NOT the ranges. They put THEMSELVES in harms way, not the other way around.

Kind of like building next to an airport, then complain about the noise!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

be closed because of it. The range existed long before the school and developments. Therefor they were aware of the range (as was the county) and chose to build anyway. If there is a problem it's THEIRS, NOT the ranges. They put THEMSELVES in harms way, not the other way around.

Kind of like building next to an airport, then complain about the noise!!

I'm not debating if the school should have been built that close to the range because it shouldn't have been. I'm talking about the now of it! A new school would cost tens of millions of dollars at a time when people are taxed enough! It would not be fair to the taxpayers to "move" the school when it would be much cheaper and easier to move the range. People need to use a little common sense instead of whining about shooters being persecuted. What's done is done and it's not going to be changed.:s0131:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top