JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read the story carefully.

In my years of training I have learned that the best way to survive a gunfight is to not get in one in the first place.

If you do face an unavoidable mortal threat, warning shots should never be used. They pose a risk of striking an innocent bystander, What goes up must come down. Every bullet you fire from your firearm should go where you want it to go.

Fortunately this one ended up with no one in the trauma unit at Harborview, or the morgue. either of the firearms in this incident are likely capable of causing death so it is at least good that no one died.

And, cars are transitional spaces. If you are sitting in it, you are in a confined space that offers very little cover and concealment. In a firefight you either want to use your vehicle to escape the threat, or get out of it. If you get out of it, you are willingly engaging the threat, and you better be ready and able to pull the trigger.

Each bullet needs to hit its mark. Watch your backstop, and don't forget that he/she may not be alone. Violent offenders sometimes travel with others who are like minded.

And I should have said, once the threat drives away, you shouldn't be a sitting duck waiting for the threat to return. It happens really often that the threat returns. stay on the line with the PD but don't stay put.

Frankly, If a crazed lunatic was running at me with what is basically a sword, I think i might shoot. If I had my son in the car, yeah no question Id have to stop him from arriving at the car.

My favorite part:

"Andersen also fled, and tried to hide his truck. Then, court documents say, he was delivered back to the scene by his mother. Police later found additional firearms and accessories in his bedroom".

You have to be a special kind of mentally deficient (or spoiled) to drive back to your PARENTS HOUSE, grab an AK that they more than likely bought for you, attempt murder with said AK, then hide your truck before your mom drags you back to the scene by the ear like some kind of toddler that didn't get his ice cream cone.

Unfortunately for us, the timing is perfect for I-1639 supporters.

Hooray, more fertilizer for the HB 1134 - 2018 people! Wow what a bonus. (->sarcasm icon here.)

According to the story, the defender was still on the phone with 911 when the offender returned with the rifle.

My takeaways from this are similar to some of the others.

>We are responsible for every round we launch.
So:
-Don't draw unless intending to shoot
-don't shoot unless intending to hit to stop a lethal threat which demonstrates the following characteristics:
-Intent to do you or someone serious bodily harm
-Means to do serious bodily harm
-Opportunity to make the threat a reality.
Later on, these are the criteria a prosecuting attorney or jury will be reviewing in analyzing your actions.

>Cars are DEATH TRAPS if you are just sitting motionless in one. If lethal force is heading your way, either get the car in motion or exit it and either way, get off the X with all possible speed.

That so few people know these basics and yet go about armed does illustrate my view that training is woefully lacking in the CPL community and almost everyone would benefit from getting some, gun owners and civilians alike.

Why not backup and leave while the guy was coming at him with the machete? Was he out of his vehicle? If so why? Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is ok and hope he faces no charges for the warning shot, however allot of detail is left out of this account.
Hope the bad guy spends some serious time behind bars.

Kirkland probably has a law about discharging a firearm within the city limits as do most cities in Washington state. I would never fire a warning shot and if I was in my car I would drive any way I could to avoid a direct confrontation. Big difference between a machete and a firearm too. If I was not in my car and guy was in his vehicle and he brandishes a machete unless he got out his vehicle or tried to run me down I did would not fire and would do my best to evade a direct confrontation. The AK47 has no problem shooting though the windshield but with a handgun I am not sure if would hit the mark since the round may be deflected by the windshield.

Last Edited:
I can only imagine the sob story he told his mother? Mom!! He shot at me first!!!

First off it was an SKS not an AK.

And this no doubt will give the anti's ammo to raise the age limit to 21yo and of course let's just ban assault weapons too.

Ya'll missed the mark!!!

Lesson #ONE from this story is... Do not honk your GD horn (edit: in anger) at people unless you want a fight. Do NOT flip people off, or yell out the window, or wave a baseball bat or whatever. IMO it's best to take the approach of MOST martial arts trained people, and stay above the fray! Yes, you have the capability of defending yourself, but it's better not to need to.

Just sayin...

Last Edited:
I wasn't there...That said:
I dislike the idea of a "warning shot" and wonder why no attempt to " break contact" , disengage , get the Hell outta Dodge....etc...

Granted there is not a whole lotta detail from the news article and the way the news is written and reported nowadays , can leave a lot to be desired...so again I wasn't there and there could be more to the story...
Andy

Warning shots usually result in charges against the person who let it off. Warning shots are never a good idea.

I totally agree with you. It also takes 2 to tango. Both guys were in the wrong. So, who's really the "good" guy and who's the "bad" guy?
How do you figure? A guy gets out of his car and charges me with a machete after I honked at him - I'm pretty sure I didn't justify that action. I think a warning shot is a bad idea, but that still doesn't automatically make the guy being attacked a bad guy.

Ya'll missed the mark!!!

Lesson #ONE from this story is... Do not honk your GD horn at people unless you want a fight.

Really? That is now the international symbol for "Let's go!"?

I've honked my horn at other drivers when they drifted into my lane, and in other cases when they've put me at risk. Never got in a fight because of it. I've also had horns honked at me when I've done the same. It's what horns are for.

Someone cuts me off, I'll give 'em a gesture and ignore 'em afterwards. That's as far as I go. Never had a problem with it.

If we can't express displeasure with other's behavior without risking a life/death struggle, what's that say about our nation. Everyone is so touchy these days…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top