JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This has always pissed me off about politicians. They say we will put a bond measure for public safety while taking the money they took from public safety and using it for other crap. S0 really it's a bond for whatever other crap they wanna fund. They essentially are holding the public captive. I would buy a gun and vote down the bond.

well you know if there lips are moving they are liars . so when they tell you they will protect the public they are lying , and we should vote down the bonds and buy more guns and be responsible for our own safety ! and vote the rat bastards out ! when seconds count the cops are minutes away !

Thread title is critically incorrect. Sheriff Rahr does NOT "want citizens to buy guns." The article title is from its author Dave Workman who tells his readers to go out and buy a gun because the Sheriff has warned of cutbacks.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall Sheriff Rahr "unofficially" supporting a California-style AWB. I put "unofficially" in quotes because she showed up at the hearing ostensibly as the voice of a private citizen... while in full uniform. Please, someone correct me on this if I've confused her with another top LEO.

It's too bad, really. I know more than a few people who might take notice of a top LEO in our area telling the common folk to arm themselves.

Anyway, here's the article and <broken link removed>

----------------------------------------------------------------

King County Sheriff warns of cutbacks, so go out and buy a gun
Dave Workman

"When seconds count, police are minutes away."

That's become something of a catch phrase among gun rights advocates who suggest that private citizens are their own best first line of defense against home invaders, armed robbers and rapists, and people who ignore "gun free zone" warnings and open fire in shopping malls, restaurants or on school property.

Rahr said between 2008 and 2010, 75 commissioned personnel and 21 civilian personnel were eliminated - about a 20 percent cut of resources in unincorporated King County and regional services. Sheriff's reductions have hit neighborhood patrols, school resource officers, SWAT response time, the K9 unit and marine patrol.

The other day during a meeting on the budget with the King County Council, Sheriff Sue Rahr and Prosecutor Dan Satterberg sounded (once again, as they did last year about this time) that with another round of budget cuts in the forecast, law enforcement services are going to be cut to the bone. There will be no residential burglary investigations, it will take more time to report an emergency to the 911 dispatch center, and investigations will be reduced for other crimes including sexual assault, arson and domestic violence.

This is not an isolated problem. Many if not most law enforcement agencies around the country are feeling the budget pinch, a natural result of the economic downturn. The Democrat-controlled Legislature just added on $850 million in new taxes to fill a budget shortfall; a deficit that Christine Gregoire swore did not exist when she was running for re-election in 2008.

Over the past two years, according to Rahr, the sheriff's department has eliminated 75 law enforcement positions and 21 non-commissioned personnel (they are not "civilians" while deputies are something else as intimated by coverage in the on-line Seattle Post-Intelligencer; all are civilians, period!)

Calling the sheriff's current budget situation "grim," Sheriff Rahr said that to achieve the 12 percent cut the county council is requesting, she would have to cut 60 sheriff's deputies and 10 supervisors; eliminate all property crime and drug investigations; stop providing officers to schools and neighborhoods in unincorporated King County; increase the wait time for 911 calls; and reduce investigations into bomb threats, fire, homicide, domestic violence, sexual assault, and elder abuse, among other cuts.

Ask your local law enforcement agency, from Grays Harbor to Spokane and see what their budget outlook is like; not a pretty picture, most likely. KING5 News' Linda Brill recognized that this is a recurring problem, at least in King County, and she has a point. However, it is not "crying wolf" when the wolf really is on your porch.

"If I was in that situation, I'd have a gun. If somebody kicks in my front door and is coming at me, I'm not going to take the time to interview them."
&#8212;King County Sheriff Sue Rahr, 2009

Time to buy a gun (if you don't already own one)? Probably, and while you are at it, get some competent instruction, either through a local gun shop, or from an outfit like the Firearms Academy of Seattle or Insights Training Center. Get as copy of my book, Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities, to understand your legal self-defense rights. When I last wrote about Rahr and budget troubles here, her advice to people at public forums was to have a gun, in the event of an emergency in which it is clearly obvious the cavalry is not going to get there in time.

Contact your county council member in King County, or your county commissioner, and tell them you just bought a gun because you have no intention of waiting 30 minutes for a cop to show up just in time to draw a white chalk outline around your corpse. Tell them you haven't the time or money to install an elaborate alarm system that "sends help right now" when "help" may be miles away and already answering a different emergency. Tell them you vote, but not for higher taxes, because a public safety crisis should not become an excuse to raise your taxes and take more money out of your pocket; money you could be spending on practice ammunition.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top