JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The new push around gun control it to treat it like a "public health crisis". King County Public Health has put out a <broken link removed> on this topic.

A couple of thoughts:

1) <broken link removed> for firearm deaths, it sure doesn't seem like there's a "crisis" - the trend seems to be declining.

Figure1.ashx.png

2) This page points out that the <broken link removed> are suicides (68%). If you're really looking at this from a "public health" perspective, I'm not sure how the mix of things being proposed (assault weapons bans, background checks, magazine bans, gun show loophole closure, etc - and, yes, I know these are loaded terms) do anything to prevent the bulk of firearm related deaths.

3) And, <broken link removed> , it talks about homicide rates - we have basically 1/2 the rate of the US. King County is 2/100k, Washington is 1.5/100k while the US is 4/100k. Just in comparison - King County, NY (8.6), Los Angeles, CA (8.1) and Cook County, IL (11.1) all have significantly higher homicide rates while also having significantly more stringent gun control measures than King County, WA.

4) <broken link removed> describes "gaps" in Washington State Firearms Laws compared to other states. Given the comparative homicide rates listed above, I'm not sure I see these as "gaps" and describing these differences as such seems to show bias that shouldn't be included if we're really thinking about his as public health/data-driven issue. (and, I know they aren't...)

Anyway, just wanted to draw your attention to this report. Describing gun control in <broken link removed> is the new front on this topic. KC Executive Constantine has been making a big deal about this. However, I think if you look carefully at the numbers, it doesn't suggest that there is any "crisis".

This is the reason the "junk" studies by "think tanks" were defunded years ago. All they were trying to do was prove (with false statistics) that guns were the problem.
Now that Obwan has ordered them to be funded again we can expect more attacks using false "statistics" to prove what ever they want.

This is the reason the "junk" studies by "think tanks" were defunded years ago. All they were trying to do was prove (with false statistics) that guns were the problem.
Now that Obwan has ordered them to be funded again we can expect more attacks using false "statistics" to prove what ever they want.

Sad thing is that this isn't a think tank - it's the public agency that's supposed to be making sure we don't die of Typhoid or food poisoning, not wasting time on this stuff. Maybe they should get back to their core mission and <broken link removed> .

Decades ago, NHTSA decided to apply epidemiology to preventing traffic fatalities. The result was shifting the focus away from driver competence and behavior, and towards mandated passive and then active safety devices in motor vehicles.

I think this move to frame "gun violence" as a "health issue" has similar motivation - bring new agencies into play and lay the foundation for mandating "safer" guns and ignoring the distinction between criminal and lawful use.

Sad thing is that this isn't a think tank - it's the public agency that's supposed to be making sure we don't die of Typhoid or food poisoning, not wasting time on this stuff. Maybe they should get back to their core mission and <broken link removed> .

Problem was the "think tank" was the CDC. Here's a thread https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/firearms-laws-and-questions.8602/linking to this article Public Health Pot Shots - Reason.com

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top