JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To all the experienced reloaders, I have the following questions:

For someone like me who plan to reload 9mm and some 380 only (and no rifle ammo at all), which type of bullet puller do you recommend?

I know the kinetic is cheaper but more messy and a pain to smack on the ground causing noise etc. But many people on various forums said how difficult it is to pull handgun bullets using the collet since there is less surface area for the collet to grip. And so for handgun, do you all recommend the kinetic bullet puller?

Also when you use the kinetic/hammer style bullet pullers, does that usually result in either the bullet or the cartridge being damaged so that you can't use it again? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Only ever used kinetic.
If I'm just pulling them to scrap I just run them up through the press in a shell holder with no die in, grab the bullet with diagonal pliers on top of the press, bring the shaft back down minus the bullet.

I have only used the kinetic, bang on a piece of wood, type and I can reuse both the bullet and the case, unless it was already damaged and that was the reason I was pulling it.

I have a 26" piece of 4 X 4 standing upright just off the edge of my workbench with a heavy piece of leather attached to one end I use to hit my kinetic on, makes little noise compared to my bench, but then my den and reload things are in my basement so the floor is literally rock solid. I rarely have damaged components since I load and fire my workup rounds for test one at a time, crimping is usually not required for most calibers I use. then, at worst, only the higher loads get reworked amounting to less than a couple dozen.

I also use a kinetic puller with great success. I only load pistol rounds (45ACP and 9mm) and I have not had any damage to the hammer, bullets, or cases. I normally just whack the hammer on the anvil of my vice but I really like the process that @thorborg uses. I will be making mods to my bench to include it.

Don't make mistakes, and you won't need either :)

That said, I have both :D

The kinetic: For when you forget to crank out the seater, and would like to 'reset' your OAL. Or, just tearing down a few to save the components.
Collet type: Buddy hands you 500 of 'something', stating he got them for you at a garage sale... The collet is much faster, and if used properly won't damage the bullet.

May want to rethink electricity then; AC,DC & Static, likely cause more fires and death than banging kinetic pullers.
Definitely want to stay away from Lee hand loaders.

i use both. when i use kinetic i do one strike and let it do sort of like a drum roll type deal which makes it hit multiple times and usually does the job. the collet has its own pros and cons but. u cant go wrong with the kinetic.

Kinetic here. I have a thick rug on the concrete floor and I wack it on that. Reduced the noise and saves the end of the hammer from damage.

One trick to using it is to use the correct size shell holder instead of that funky thing they supply held together with a rubber band. I like to keep the cap screwed on tight during the process. Have had one of the plastic caps break because it wasn't snug.

Don't make mistakes, and you won't need either :)

That said, I have both :D

The kinetic: For when you forget to crank out the seater, and would like to 'reset' your OAL. Or, just tearing down a few to save the components.
Collet type: Buddy hands you 500 of 'something', stating he got them for you at a garage sale... The collet is much faster, and if used properly won't damage the bullet.

I also have both, and both have their places when it comes to certain applications.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top