JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stephen, with your new holster, you can achieve that "steam molded" contour to precisely fit your gun by soaking the holster in warm water until completely saturated. Then drench your pistol in a good moisture barrier (CLP or such), wrap it in Saran Wrap (for further protection), and put the gun in the holster. Knead the soft leather firmly around the contours and details of the pistol with your strong thumb and fingers. Allow the holster to dry near a heat vent (no direct heat), and check it and knead it frequently during this process. (Also monitor your gun for exposure to moisture.)

When it is dry, the holster will be perfectly contoured to YOUR gun. Apply neatsfoot oil or other leather dressing for appearance and protection. (And, of course, inspect your gun once again and clean toward moisture exposure).

Here's an example: A generic "Hunter" holster (I'm in agreement that these are pretty darned good equipment for the money spent) housing a Colt's Trooper MKIII, .357 8-3/8". You can even see where the leather took on the form of the flutes of the cylinder. (Holster's appearance shows it's over 25 yr age, and multiple trips to Alaska.)

P7280126.jpg

As for ol' Rudy, I think we must give him a pass on the grammar thing. He might be struggling with English as a second language. I trust you supplied him with pictures and corresponding notes of specific detail as to what you did not like about the holster.

Stephen, with your new holster, you can achieve that "steam molded" contour to precisely fit your gun by soaking the holster in warm water until completely saturated. Then drench your pistol in a good moisture barrier (CLP or such), wrap it in Saran Wrap (for further protection), and put the gun in the holster. Knead the soft leather firmly around the contours and details of the pistol with your strong thumb and fingers. Allow the holster to dry near a heat vent (no direct heat), and check it and knead it frequently during this process. (Also monitor your gun for exposure to moisture.)

When it is dry, the holster will be perfectly contoured to YOUR gun. Apply neatsfoot oil or other leather dressing for appearance and protection. (And, of course, inspect your gun once again and clean toward moisture exposure).

Here's an example: A generic "Hunter" holster (I'm in agreement that these are pretty darned good equipment for the money spent) housing a Colt's Trooper MKIII, .357 8-3/8". You can even see where the leather took on the form of the flutes of the cylinder. (Holster's appearance shows it's over 25 yr age, and multiple trips to Alaska.)

P7280126.jpg

As for ol' Rudy, I think we must give him a pass on the grammar thing. He might be struggling with English as a second language. I trust you supplied him with pictures and corresponding notes of specific detail as to what you did not like about the holster.

Thanks for the tip, but I dont think I will be trying this just yet, the water on the gun thing just kinda freaks me out.

You live in Salem, Oregon, for cryin' out loud. What? Ya don't get your guns wet? (Protect 'em ahead of time, clean 'em afterward!).

Again, the CLP and Saran Wrap pretty much keep the water off the gun. I was probably too repetitive in my concern about the moisture deal in my presentation. It can never be an issue unless you ignore your project.

UPDATE
I have sent BHL three emails and they still have not answered me. I think he is playing the childish I am not going to talk to you game. I will update if he ever anwsers.

This is a copy and paste email from what I just got from BHL.

Hello Stephen,

I saw only two pictures that you sent to us and I didn't see anything wrong with the stiching on the holster.If by any case it would come unstich in a few years we will make you a new holster, wich I don't think that would happend .Everthing is hand made here we don't have big machines that make the holsters and everthing comes out evenly. Everything is done step by step by a diffrent persons. Of course the stiching looks diffrent from a Factory machine doing it and a person sewing it.

Thank You,
Rudy Lozano
Black Hills Leather

If you didn't specify which portion of the stitching did not meet your satisfaction, then he has a point (I assume you did). If you didn't specify round tip instead of square, then he has a point (I assume you did). I you are confident that all your communications are specific (before and after product delivery), and he is still dragging his feet about a refund, I believe at this point the Better Business Bureau (of South Dakota?) might get a rise out of him. (They will want all the correspondence history, prior to, and after receipt of product.)

From the sound of his response he thinks the holster you got is par for the course out of his shop. Did you see any pictures/examples of their work befor you bought/received yours? Based on his response you got exactly what you should have- that's what their holsters look like. Hideous to most of us, but that's the product they put out. I find a number of automobiles to be hideous looking, and thusly don't consider them for purchase so I guess my only question is if you knew what their work typically looked like and this holster is an aberration from the typical work they do or if you went into it blind hoping for the best and got a holster you don't like?

From the sound of his response he thinks the holster you got is par for the course out of his shop. Did you see any pictures/examples of their work befor you bought/received yours? Based on his response you got exactly what you should have- that's what their holsters look like. Hideous to most of us, but that's the product they put out. I find a number of automobiles to be hideous looking, and thusly don't consider them for purchase so I guess my only question is if you knew what their work typically looked like and this holster is an aberration from the typical work they do or if you went into it blind hoping for the best and got a holster you don't like?

I looked at all of thier holsters before I ordered and pictures of other peoples holster that he made and they looked nothing like this! Also I was told the wait time for it would be six weeks and it was done in two and a half, so is obviously he did a rush job to make a quick buck!

I looked at all of thier holsters before I ordered and pictures of other peoples holster that he made and they looked nothing like this! Also I was told the wait time for it would be six weeks and it was done in two and a half, so is obviously he did a rush job to make a quick buck!

In that case, this work is sub-par even for his shop: I would add that your initial complaint should have included the pics of other work from him that you expected. Once again, I am not picking on you, but only reiterating my initial premise: that custom work requires definitive communication from each side PRIOR to the work being started, and subsequent complaints about the product need to be in direct relation to those communications.

This premise is from personal experience: dissatisfaction much as you have on your hands (and in my case, it truly was MY fault: what I didn't like was something we hadn't talked about), and extreme satisfaction when with another custom shop with whom I DID communicate well.

As far as I am concerned Rudy is just placating Stephen with his response. The picture he included in his original post should have been enough. I do not think Stephen needed to be specific about the exact locations of the poor stitching as the overall package is a mess which we all for the most part agree on. I hand out a WHOLE lot more daily, than what Stephen paid, as 'customer goodwill' where I work and quite frankly Rudy should have quickly given Stephen his money back with a sincere apology. Look what all this has done for his reputation; and he does not seem to understand, or care.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top