JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my holster today for my Ruger GP100 that I ordered from black hills leather and I am I little disappointed with the look of it.
The quality is good but the bottom of the holster was cut straight across instead of rounded like most holsters, so it makes the holster big and bulky, I had the holster made with a closed bottom cause I am going to be using the GP100 for atv riding and I do not want tons of dirt and dust flying up into the gun and I wanted to make sure it was covered as much as possible to protect it. I also wanted to use the holster for when I open carry but it is kinda to blocky looking for me and I would like a more "pretty" holster for open carry, i will keep the holster but will only use it for atv and going in the woods. I am OCD when it comes to my guns so this just bugs me, I know the gp100 is a big gun but to me this holster seems huge. So what do you guys think? am I just being to picky or does the holster look good? Black Hills Leather - The best custom gun leather western holsters & rigs

DSCF5821.jpg

DSCF5825.jpg

DSCF5828.jpg

DSCF5839.jpg

When you pay hard earned money to get something custom made from "the best custom gun leather holster" maker, you have every right to be picky.

The lines look amateurish in my opinion. It looks as if they were traced on using a hot dog for the barrel and a melted marshmallow for a cylinder.

Looks generic not custom! Custom means it should fit your gun tight and provide no room for bouncing and be unique.

I am really not sure how your going to be able to ride a quad with comfortably with it sitting up that high either. Seems like it would get in the way somewhat?

I think it's a matter of choice...

if they made the bottom rounded, it would be longer but more symmetrical.

you have a holster that took function over form, if you want it prettier, it would likely be more bulky and we would hear about that "bulkiness"...

it's a big gun, and no matter how you look at it, it's goig to be bulky.. a shoulder holster might have worked better for ATV riding in my view... don't really see how this is comfortale on an ATV.

When you pay hard earned money to get something custom made from "the best custom gun leather holster" maker, you have every right to be picky.

The lines look amateurish in my opinion. It looks as if they were traced on using a hot dog for the barrel and a melted marshmallow for a cylinder.

I know, I am pissed off! I cannot return it, so i dont know what to do. I paid alot of money for this holster and I expected a lot better holster than this.
This company had many good reviews praising them about the quality and craftsmanship, there were even youtube videos of people saying how good they were. Another thing that pissed me off is before I ordered it I asked if the closed bottom would cost extra and the guy said no but then I was charged $10 for the closed bottom and $5 more than I was told shipping would cost. Any ideas of what I should do?

Get in touch with them and tell them how you feel. A good company will make its customers happy, whatever that means to them. Maybe they can discount another holster for you, or refund you some of your money. You won't know until you ask.

Can anyone suggest a good custom holster maker that they have delt with? There are so many around that it is hard to choose. I have had some things done by A.E. Nelson in scio but I was not impressed with his work, his are just generic holster, and not molded to each gun.

next time you order holster, ask seller if he has a sample or similar holster that he made. That way you can get an basic idea what holster will going to look like.

Kind of disappointed with my custom made holster
So am I and I don't even own it! I see a lot of 'custom' holsters that are really nothing more than variations of what is already available from the big names. Yours however has no precedent - is appears bulky, ill fitting and too big for the gun - it looks bigger than the gun. Wouldn't something from Bianchi have been acceptable or better? I love my Bianchi I have for my 1911. It fits like a glove (both gun and me) is trim and tight. My next will be #5 Bianchi for my Taurus 605. A friend has one for his Mod 85 with the same results. Unless it is something very unique or unavailable I see no reason to the spend the money for something I cannot see, hold or try before I buy. And my Bianchi was only $59.00.

So am I and I don't even own it! I see a lot of 'custom' holsters that are really nothing more than variations of what is already available from the big names. Yours however has no precedent - is appears bulky, ill fitting and too big for the gun - it looks bigger than the gun. Wouldn't something from Bianchi have been acceptable or better? I love my Bianchi I have for my 1911. It fits like a glove (both gun and me) is trim and tight. My next will be #5 Bianchi for my Taurus 605. A friend has one for his Mod 85 with the same results. Unless it is something very unique or unavailable I see no reason to the spend the money for something I cannot see, hold or try before I buy. And my Bianchi was only $59.00.

I like the bianchi holsters and I almost got one but it just turned me off that they are made in mexico.

but it just turned me off that they are made in mexico.
I did not know that and I agree but you cannot dispute the quality and fit and Mexico has had a long history of quality leatherwork and it is evident with the Bianchi products. Maybe Black Hills should take a lesson from a Mexican leathersmith. Sorry Stephen but you should demand a remake or refund. Was BH unable to create something a little more form fitting? I have already looked into Bianchi for the GP100 (as I want one) and they have several excellent choices (look at the 5BH) It will continue to be Bianchi Mucho Bueno for me - until I see something of similar quality and price made in the US. Heck look at how many of us own guns made in other countries - including South America. NOW I have seen some very nice holsters made by hobby leathersmiths and they are not perfect but well made and very useable. They were not called 'custom' and the prices reflected such.

If it were not for your tape measure, I'd swear you could fit a 2x4 in there... all joking aside, how does it fit? If it wiggles with all that extra barrel room, you could start there.

I dont want to hurt the guys feelings
I can appreciate that but his feelings should be the last thing on your mind - you gave them money for an expectation of something better than what is already available and they came up short. Tell you what - I draft a lot of business correspondence to manufacturers and you would never guess what for - dissatisfied customers! and I would like to offer to draft a letter to them requesting a refund. If they honor the request you owe me a six pack someday. If not then post their followup on this, and any gun forums you may frequent and others can make their own decisions. Email some details about this to me such as a contact name of who you dealt with, how and why you chose Black Hills, cost and your full name and address (so can put it on the header) and depending on how work goes tomorrow I may be able to get it done. One more thing - did this holster differ dramatically from what you were expecting (as far as the design) or did you give them an empty canvas to create something sight-unseen?[email protected]

I can appreciate that but his feelings should be the last thing on your mind - you gave them money for an expectation of something better than what is already available and they came up short. Tell you what - I draft a lot of business correspondence to manufacturers and you would never guess what for - dissatisfied customers! and I would like to offer to draft a letter to them requesting a refund. If they honor the request you owe me a six pack someday. If not then post their followup on this, and any gun forums you may frequent and others can make their own decisions. Email some details about this to me such as a contact name of who you dealt with, how and why you chose Black Hills, cost and your full name and address (so can put it on the header) and depending on how work goes tomorrow I may be able to get it done. One more thing - did this holster differ dramatically from what you were expecting (as far as the design) or did you give them an empty canvas to create something sight-unseen?[email protected]

Email sent, Thanks RVTECH

check out Milt Sparks holsters... Great quality holsters. Here is one that may work for you if your GP100 has a barrel of 4" or less

<broken link removed>
PMK_large.jpg

PMK_large.jpg

Were there pics of the holster? All I saw were pics of luggage ... huge luggage.
Good luck on your customer support concerns. Shopping for a specific holster fit, I continue my search and research in custom or just the right design and fit.

check out Milt Sparks holsters... Great quality holsters. Here is one that may work for you if your GP100 has a barrel of 4" or less

<broken link removed>
View attachment 42683

There is a reason why Milt Sparks are more expensive and they have a 16 week wait. They've been in business a real long time and not a newer kid on the block.

Before you ordered did you a see or view a representation of their work in person or at least on their website and especially the bottom of the holster before placing the order?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top