JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This story's out of LA, but it sounds like it could have happened in any neighborhood.
Honestly, how much do any of us really know about our neighbors?

"On Hoover Street in Harbor Gateway, John Wesley Ewell was the guy neighbors turned to when they needed something fixed in their house.
'He's a real nice guy. The kind of guy who would give the shirt off his back,' said neighbor Sheila Spinks, who said Ewell recently fixed a light sensor for her. 'He didn't want money for it.'
But L.A. County prosecutors charged 53-year-old Ewell with killing Roberts and three other people in a series of home robberies over the last month."

"Ewell is described by sheriff's detectives as a career criminal who since the 1980s has been convicted of robbery, burglary and grand theft. He was charged in September, before the killings, with felony second-degree burglary from a Hawthorne Home Depot store.
He had apparently lived on Hoover Street for five years."

Man charged in four killings was known as kind, helpful neighbor - latimes.com

Four bodies in a month, one may be an accident, but the others were all bound and gagged before being strangled. Did any of these people realize that they were living next door to a "career criminal?" And at 53, he doesn't look the role either.

This reminds me of what Ferfal says about how and where professional criminals live:
SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: The professional Criminal

We have available to us all the tools that we need, but we might have to pay a little for them and wade through mountains of data to see what kind of people are around. I haven't done it. Maybe it's worth the effort. If only one person in the "tight knit" community of Harbor Gateway had done so and then shared the information all around, these victims could have refused entry to a killer and made themselves less tempting targets.

A guy I went to high school with and his mom were murdered by their neighbor. He walked across the street, shot the mom as she got in her car to go to work in the morning, then walked into the house and shot the son as he was sleeping in his bed. Do not trust anyone, always be aware of your surroundings, and don't sleep with music on.

A guy I went to high school with and his mom were murdered by their neighbor. He walked across the street, shot the mom as she got in her car to go to work in the morning, then walked into the house and shot the son as he was sleeping in his bed. Do not trust anyone, always be aware of your surroundings, and don't sleep with music on.

Daaannggg.

A close friend of mine lost his sister to her violent boyfriend. That must be 40 years ago now. The killer got away with it.

I used to live in Kansas and the BTK (Bind Tourture and Kill) guy lived withing 3 miles of me. He was a local dog catcher and a decaon at his church. He killed on and off again for 30 years until caught in 2004 (i think). I found out a close friend from our church back there his daughter was one of the victums from the 70s. This day and age your right you can't trust anyone.

I went to school wih a guy that recently was prisoned for life as he dressed up like a fire marshall and knocked at a handicapped womans door telling her he had to inspect her home. When she let him in he went into her bathroom and stripped down naked then came out and beat her head with bat or something until it killed her then,......the worst thing anyone could do he had sex with the dead body. He later called police and admitted to it. I think he smoked alot of mary jane.:huh:WTF How could he do that?

I used to live in Kansas and the BTK (Bind Tourture and Kill) guy lived withing 3 miles of me. He was a local dog catcher and a decaon at his church. He killed on and off again for 30 years until caught in 2004 (i think). I found out a close friend from our church back there his daughter was one of the victums from the 70s. This day and age your right you can't trust anyone.

Actually he was a Code Enforcement Officer, and he would drive around and harrass folks from things like their grass being too high, to pets not have their tags, etc. He quite efficiently used his job position to scout out potential victims... plus he was indeed a Deacon at his church.

You can believe I keep an eye on the CE Officers running around Little Tijuana, er.... I mean Woodburn.

One of my best friends in high school had his parents convinced that I was a bad influence any time we got into trouble.

After HS, I went on to college and he had a brief stint as a bank robber and went to prison...:s0114:

One of my best friends in high school had his parents convinced that I was a bad influence any time we got into trouble.

After HS, I went on to college and he had a brief stint as a bank robber and went to prison...:s0114:

I'd say then that they must have been right. :s0114: :s0112: :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top