JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have a had a few on the bench, and can't recommend them.

Here's an article outlining the same problems I've encountered with them;

Here's what a well known trainer at 10-8 has to say about the Kimber Warrior that he and Hilton Yam have come across (and both of them used to recommend the Warrior), "We began comparing notes on the Warriors that Hilton and I have come across over the past year or so and discovered that neither of us have encountered one that has run reliably out of the box. The issues stem from a variety of causes, to include (but is not limited to) chamber dimensions, feed ramp/barrel throat geometry, ignition parts quality (or lack thereof), extractor issues, and slide stop problems make the gun more trouble than it is worth. This does not mean the Warrior cannot be made into a pretty nice blaster, but the work involved can be (and is usually) extensive."

I and others I'm around look at guns as tools to save a life if needed. The gun maybe ok for range use, but I wouldn't recommend it past that.

Hmm, very interesting.. Wichaka, which full size 1911 would you recommend? Or maybe starting with a Springfield 1911a1 GI and tweaking that thing out? I would love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for the above info also.

well I must be a lucky one, because my kimber desert warrior is a completely reliable bet your life on it pistol right out of the box like my other kimbers Ive owned. It has never failed to do anything. It can outshoot many many people (unless your a shooting vice) and I would recommend mine to a friend and or someone I didnt know. Of course we will all come across a gun that may not have worked when it should of, but mine hasnt. just my two cents. However I always respect the opinion of wichaka...........and perhaps it didnt go as well for him or his friends.

The above article I posted was based on at least 20 Warriors.

Kimber got the word back about the problems that have been experienced, so hopefully they have been addressed.

Right now the best bang for the buck for a 1911 rail gun, is the Springfield Operator or LW Operator.

Here's an article I wrote about both on m1911.org;

http://ezine.m1911.org/SAMCOperator.htm

Although I tend to bleed Colt, they had their share of problems with the new Series 70 and Combat Elite re-issue models. They put out some pretty good junk to the consumer with the first few off the line.

I tend to look for older Colts (per-80 series), Springfield, or build one from Caspian frame and slide.

Para was putting out some pretty good junk the last few years as well, and said they moved to the states to address the QC issues they were having. Can't figure out how moving the company would solve that, but if it works...more power to them!

As for the TRP they aren't worth the extra money. Springfield uses the same small parts...sears, slide stops, disconnectors etc. from the low end GI all the way thru to the TRP. And if you get a SS model, the small parts aren't SS, they are flash chromed carbon steel parts. Pretty sad for having to pay the extra money.

The best bang for the buck in a non-rail Springfield is the Loaded model. You can add the extra stuff that a TRP has for less money. Don't let the tight slide etc fool you, contrary to popular belief it doesn't add up to better accuracy. To a point it does, but the test pistols would have a great contrast in fitting before its noticed.

I run a Loaded on duty with the stock cheap 2-piece barrel, and I consistently qualify in the 490's out of 500.

If you want a very excellent no frills 1911, look at the Springfield Mil-Spec, or Colt's Government model.

Or instead of the TRP, look at Colts new Special Combat Gov Carry model, better made than the TRP.

These guns with all the bells and whistles came from the most wanted mods that were consistently requested by the gunsmiths from Wilson, Ed Brown, and the like.
So after many years the main stream guys, Springfield, Colt, Kimber etc., jumped on the wagon and came out with guns with the most requested schtuff. They look like the high end guns...but under the hood they are not the same, so don't expect it. Corners have to be cut somewhere to keep the cost down. Just because a TRP looks like a Wilson LTD or an Ed Brown Executive, doesn't mean it has the same quality.

I personally do not trust the Kimber firing pin safety system, its too fragile and has had problems getting out of time. The early Kimbers are very good guns. If it says Series II or 'model name' II, I would stay away from it. I have seen very few Kimbers that will go 10,000 rounds without having a major meltdown at some point. Tacoma P.D. issued the Pro Carry II years ago, but have very few running now, most are unreliable.

Redmond P.D. started issuing the Springfield LW Operators, most had hammer following problems. It was an easy fix...but just something to be aware of.

Like I said above, although I tend to bleed Colt, I call it as I see it even when Colt drops junk out the door...and they have had their share!

All the info. I have comes from personal experience with having the many different makes and models on the bench, LE firearms instructors/armorers whose dept.'s issue them, and my contacts in the industry.

Seems the industry bets on selling a gun to the average shooter...the one that keeps it in the safe, takes it out a few times a year to the range, then back in the safe it goes. Most 1911's that are mass produced would do well having them looked over for reliability prior to street/protection duty.

Hope this helps.

If you want to further discuss this, let me know and I'll set aside a time in the chat room and we can have at it.

I'll second, and info from the same place. The Springfield guns are gtg, kimber not so much so. Current offerings are; TRP operator, MC operator, LW operator and LW champion operator (also a micro).

Same as they said. Stay away from firing pin block safety, like the Warrior has. Stay with the Early 1st run kimber if you have to have a kimber. Springfield loaded is a good value. I'ld always take an old worn out GI 1911, over a new Colt 80's series, if reliability is the only thing that counts. Reliabilty in the desert is even harder on a gun. In the desert, I'ld have to pass on the Desert Warrior. As a cool range gun, I'ld take one if the price was right.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top