Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

kimber tactical pro2

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by doubletap007, Nov 23, 2011.

1. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

i just bought the kimber tactical pro 2 with 4"barrel for my concealed carry weapon
    its a sexy little gun with the walnut grips and light as a 1911 can be.
    i was shopping for the eclipse model and did the reasearch on that gun but not the tactical pro 2.so i get home and look up reviews on it and i am a little afraid of some of the issues i am hearing about ftf/fte issues,i haven't fired it yet but does anyone have this gun and can you tell me if you have any problems with it?
    it sounds like kimber has been good about correcting the issues but i dont want to carry an $1100 gun that wont fire when i need it.i know i could fire it to see if its good but i would rather return it unfired if it's a p.o.s.
    advise?

2. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

Kimber Pro Carry pistols could use better recoil springs (Wolff XP springs work the best) All the Pro Carry guns are basically the same, they may have different finishes/sights/checkering ect but the internals are all the same. That being said, I've owned two different Pro Carry Kimbers and other than the ocassional brass to the forehead they worked great! The manual clearly states that factory springs must be replaced every 800 rounds which I believe is generous with Kimbers springs, the Wolff XP springs will last twice that amount or more in my experiance.

I would run 500 rounds though the gun before carrying the pistol for defense per Kimbers breakin.

3. doubletap007

wow 500 round break in?thats alot of rounds...i dont want to trust my or my childrens lives to a gun that has a single issue in atleast 200 rounds though,guess i better get busy shooting.i dont think i even have 200 rounds through my glock23 or sa milspec yet and so far they have both been flawless.

4. tlakidd

tlakidd Eugene Member

I also carry a Kimber either a Stainless Custom or the ultra carry. I also put 400-500 rounds without an issue before I would carry it. I follow this process for any gun that I carry. The main issues I have personally witnessed on ftf with kimbers or any gun for that matter is choice of ammo. Quality ammo purchases are as important as the gun you select to carry. Just my opinion.
    Tlakidd

5. doubletap007

i would have to agree with using quality ammo,why buy a $1000+gun and run pmc or wolf ammo through it.
    i think alot of these guys complaining about ftf/fte also get a high end gun like this and start changing this and that then wonder why it wont fire right.
    it came with match barrel/match trigger 22#recoil spring so i see no reason for mods unless it has problems then maybe start changing things.

6. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

I have owned my Tac Pro II for almost 3 years. Right out of the box I experienced intermittent premature slide locks, which was quickly ascertained to be an out of spec slide stop. Kimber shipped me a replacement no questions asked, and mine has since run flawlessly for 1500+ rounds, using cheap Kimber mags, Wilson Combat Mags, cheap Wolf ammo, WWB, and any weight or shape of hollow point I've tried. Is a dream to carry, fun and easy to shoot, and is my all day every day carry gun, and favorite pistol I own. Don't worry, you made a smart choice.

7. doubletap007

i have heard the slide stop complaint in another forum,good to know it was an easy fix though and that you have had good luck since the fix.it is a sweet piece,i hope i have good luck with mine too,i really want to trust this gun.

8. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

Go shoot your gun, man. Odds are its gonna run just fine, and if it doesn't, some combination of you, us, and Kimber will get it running right.

9. doubletap007

i finally got it out today for the first time,100 flawless rounds,it shot every type and brand i put through it and very accurate too.im happy!

10. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

This is a continual issue with many 1911's. They simply take a lot of break-in time.

It's not just 1911s. Sig Mosquitoes have similar issues.I've seen other guns (can't remember the variety sorry) that have the same thing going.

A lot of this has to do with the shooter not limp-wristing the gun. On an officer's model sized gun, the recoil will be absorbed by a limp-wrist enough that the slide won't fully go back, resulting in a failure to feed. I've seen this with a lot of very high quality guns that give me no trouble whatever when I try them directly after FTF issues with newer shooters. Hell, I've even seen this on full-sized guns, including .22s.

So, OP: Yopu already spent $1100 on a gun. The good news is that you got I'm sure, a fine gun. You may need to break it in and you may need to make sure your grip is solid. Another $400 at most in the hands of a good gunsmith will get you a result you will be thrilled with for the next 30 years. Frankl;y unless I'm going for a Glock or something similar, $1500 in a custom gun isn't a bad deal. I have considerably more than that into my 1911.