JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kimber seems to have over looked the slide stop on most of their new aluminum frame guns.
I have heard numerous complaints of the slide locking back while there is still bullets in the magazine and had the same issues myself on a couple of my kimber guns.
TLE series,and ultra carry as well as the tactical pro,eclpise and gold match just the few I know of having problems.
There is also a problem with empty cases bouncing off your forehead.
These are both an easy fix and better than waiting for kimber to send back your carry weapon you can do it in about 20 minutes.
You can also call kimber and just have them send you a new slide stop like I did but in the meantime if you slide your loaded magazine in with the slide locked back
(be carefull not to drop the slide)kaboom!...slowly slide the loaded magazine in past the slidestop and you will notice it hits with mostly hollow points but also 185gr hit.
I dont really have a problem with 230gr round nose but remember 100 years ago when John Browning designed this weapon that was the round it was intended to use.
You may also notice copper on the corner of the slidestop where it has been hitting the bullets.
So just use a file or dremmel tool to shave this area down on the slide stop but be carefull to not take too much off because you still want the empty magazine to lock the slide stop back when it is actually empty.
As for the cases bouncing off your forehead,it is the extractor,it's too loose!
The older external extractor was thin and easy to tighten with just a little bend but the new internal extractor is beefy and was shipped out a little too flat on some kimbers.
So to fix this just remove the extractor and put a "very slight"bend in it and your new Kimber that has been pissing you off(and rightfully so after paying $1000+ for a gun)will run like a champ....the way a Kimber is supposed to run.
Hope this helps someone out there.
DT.

i have seen this with my kimber but i tend to find it is a magazine issue.i have friend with a kimber and he was having the same issue. he narroed it down to 2 mags and they malfunctioned in my kimber as well.

i have seen this with my kimber but i tend to find it is a magazine issue.i have friend with a kimber and he was having the same issue. he narroed it down to 2 mags and they malfunctioned in my kimber as well.

yes,because the magazine will hit the slide stop.my springfield mags dont do it either but if you slide them in past the slide stop you will see them hit.mostly the kimber mags because they are a little thicker.

Take the bare frame of the gun, and a loaded magazine with the possible offending rounds. Insert the slide stop, and insert the magazine in the gun...with the slide/top off the gun, you can get a very easy view of what's going on.

Slowly thumb the rounds forward as if feeding into the chamber, and watch for contact on the slide stop 'lug' part. Dress back accordingly to make sure there is no contact, but go slow, as this is what the follower of the magazine contacts to engage the slide stop after the last round.

As for the extractor, a little 'bend' goes a long way. Also look at your brass for the tell tale signs of 'push feeding'. This where the round gets ahead of the extractor and is pushed in the chamber ahead of it, instead of the round sliding under/into the hook.

The gun will run, but the extractor will take a beating and lose its ability to control the round after a while.

Just some food for thought...just because its running, doesn't mean its running right.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top