JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about getting a new rifle in 7mm RM. I was thinking Nosler but I remembered kimber made a rifle. I am looking at there classic series wood stock and blues steel. Any experience information on there rifles would be great. Or on the nosler for that matter.

I lusted over one, an 84L Montana. My wife ended up getting me an 8400 Montana. SOB wouldn't always pick up the second round in the mag... Sent it back with a couple of other complaints to be covered under warranty, at my expense, with a detailed explanation and photos. It came back with the cosmetic issues fixed, but nothing that addressed the feeding problem. Not only did it leave a bad taste in my mouth that Kimber didn't pick up the shipping back to them, when it became apparent the appearance of rifle was more important than how well it worked, I was turned off. I was already out $40 shipping and didn't feel like doing it again, so I sold it. When the buyer asked why I was selling it, I gave an honest answer, but that didn't deter him.
Now that I trashed on it,;)
It was pretty accurate and had a nice, adjustable trigger, which I lightened up a bit. The stock sounded kind of hollow, but was stiff and fit me. Overall it was nicely finished and seemed to be a quality rifle.
I see their new models and some really appeal to me, but I'd not get another.

Kimbers rifles are a lot like their pistols, hit and miss, with some stupid quality control issues that should have never made it out of the factory! They are a good company, but they have a problem with the quality and customer service!

Last Edited:
I recently bought a Kimber 84l in .280 Ackley and it shoots sub MOA with hand loads and at least inch and a half 100 yard groups with fire forming loads. I've had good luck with mine, but my buddies Kimber 1911 was a pile. Seems like the QC is pretty hit and miss.

I was thinking about getting a new rifle in 7mm RM. I was thinking Nosler but I remembered kimber made a rifle. I am looking at there classic series wood stock and blues steel. Any experience information on there rifles would be great. Or on the nosler for that matter.
From what I have heard on this forum and from friends and relatives, they are accurate guns but, as stated above, they have QC issues and the value isn't there. Nosler apparently has some great guns, accurate, reliable, and consistent.

Got the mountain ascent in 300 wsm. Doesn't like to load the first round but I think that will work its way out. Shoots fine with good accuracy. With scope and sling its 7lb 11 oz. For a third the price my rem 700 is more accurate:confused:
full.jpg

I personally recommend a Ruger M-77 or a Sako 85 Bavarian depending on budget! I have always liked both, but haven't owned a 85 yet, but plan on it some day! I have several Rugers, all have are sub inch rifles and do very well! My Sako Finnlite was lights out accurate, but between the brake and ultra light weight, was a brute to shoot!
Here is a Sako 85 Bavarian, tell me this isn't sexy as heck!
Sako-85-Bavarian-W.S.jpg

Ever thought about a 700 CDL? I had one for years, very accurate ( back when Remmy still built good rifles) and I never should have sold it! It had really nice irons and a custom stock, what a mistake selling it was!

How about a Hawk Eye Guide? Wife and I have three of them now, we love then so much! 2 are in .30/06 and the newest is in .338 Win for the wife's Elk rifle. Nice and light and the brake is easy to change or remove, and with a Bubba brake, really tames the recoil! It's also adjustable for length of pull which is really nice to have for nasty weather! If I didn't already have both an African and Alaskan, I would be getting another Guide in .338!

do I need to go to the DMV for one of those?

Just kidding. That looks alright. I know I can find older used 700 for a good price and in the NW 7mm is pretty popular
Cabelas Tualitan had a Anniversary addition 7mm for a pretty reasonable price, and it's not a Cabelas exclusive, so you might find one at a better price else where, or you could check with @LuckySG and see if he can help you find a schweet 7mm!
img_6724.jpg

Im not a fan of the long action 8400. The 8400 receiver ring is larger than the 84. The wood/blue versions dont look horrible, but it really looks funny with the Montana and the blind magazine. It makes the rifle look bloated around the magazine area to the receiver ring, contrary to an otherwise trim rifle.

If I were adter a 7mm Rem Mag in particular, I'd find a 700 SPS Stainless with a floorplate and then immediately restock it in a Bell & Carlson Alaskan II stock. The 700 has a lot of magazine space for OAL considerations.

If shooting factory fodder, I'd buy a Tikka T3 Stainless. Or, maybe a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather.

The Nosler rifles are nice, but I think they look like fancied up Howa 1500s.

What about a savage? I have only used the hunter in 3006. Never tried any of there $700+ rifles. I was never happy with the tikka I had which is why I sold it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top