JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Kimber the other day through a trade and it has a 5" barrel. I'm wondering if I can put a 4" slide on my frame for carry? If so, how much is a new slide and where do I get them? I would like the entire 'upper' so I can quickly swap them.

Yes, you can switch uppers to a commander length assembly. As for pricing, I'm not sure but safe to say 300.00 and up. Check brownells and midway for slides and barrels.

I just got a kimber a couple of weeks ago and just remembered that you need to look for a fully supported barrel when shopping. That's what kimber uses and their frames are cut for it. They aren't rare or hard to find, all the major brands offer one.

The frames on a Gov and Commander are not the same.

The forward ends of the frame (slide) rails and the "frame abutment surface" (the small step or ledge that the flange of the recoil spring guide seats against) is set back approximately .10" in the Commander compared to a Government frame.

Sometimes switching the slides work, sometimes they don't. Can't explain it, you'll just have to try it.

Thanks for the info! I'm not even going to screw around with it. Ill just save for another month and buy a 3 or 4" gun. Thanks.

I have a friend that called Kimber and asked them that question directly and they said no. Of course I am sure there is a lot of liability talking there. I'd call my local gunsmith and ask them. Of course buying a second 1911 is always a good option. I know my CQB compact uses a different type of guide rod setup than my full size CQB, and I don't know if the frame might not need to be cut a little different for the different types of guide rod assembly's. I know the slides are cut differently.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top