JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up an Evo at the Cabelas/BassPro sale and will be using this thread to log a review.

First Impressions

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

The weight is heftier than the Glock43 that I'm comparing it to, but also more balanced, since the 43's weight is all up top in the slide. The mag release and slide stop designs are influenced by classic 1911 while the rest of the slide and striker remind me of the Glock. I attempted to detail strip the slide, but could not get the striker stop plate removed. Using a screwdriver to press down on the striker sleeve ala Glock-takedown does not allow the sleeve to clear the stop on the Evo...and for the life of me, I don't know what else to do.

IMG_8470.jpg

Field stripping this is very easy - but the liberal use of roll pins and my current roadblock with the striker stop leads me to categorize this as not as serviceable as the Glock. At this time, the only parts Kimber sells are mag releases and recoil springs and grips - so you won't be stocking up on spare parts for these.

The grips are well textured, all popping off with the loosening of a single Allen head screw.

IMG_8472.jpg

Comparison shot:

IMG_8473.jpg

The G43 above uses an aftermarket trigger, so my comparison is to that...not a stock Glock.

The trigger pull on the G43 has more take-up and you can very easily tell that you've hit the wall. Once fired, the reset is very tactile.

Conversely, the Evo's trigger pull has much less slack and is a consistent, heavy pull. There is no wall - just a consistent pull rearward until the release. The reset is much more subdued. The trigger reminds me of the DA trigger on the PX4 Storm that I used to have, albeit a lot shorter than the DA length. For a self defense pistol, I don't think I'll have any issues with the trigger - but it is a far cry away from the crisp break of a 1911. What it does have is consistency in pull.

Size wise, you can see above that it is basically the same length as the G43. They are virtually identical widths. The G43 is shorter, however, when using a flush fit mag. Kimber does not have a flush fit mag for the Evo, so the height is more comparable to the G43 using a +1 mag.

Pro's: The weight and balance feels great. There's nay a snag-able edge to be found; everything is rounded off. Trigger pull is consistent, and there are at least some grip options available from Kimber (at the same time, it'd of been nice had they included the different sizes in the box...). Overall build quality is superb.

Con's: serviceability and parts support, aftermarket is lacking (it is a new product, I know, but that's still a huge plus for Glock), price. I paid $540 for this and don't think I'd pay any more. The MSRP of $949 has got to be a joke, right?

Cherry Poppin'
(Stay Tuned for the first range report, which will occur as soon as possible here...)

1,000 Round Review
(Stay Tuned!)

Last Edited:
Bigger than I originally thought. Still haven't seen one in person, but it seems like a nice carry gun. Look forward to hearing more.

First shots with both weapons were conducted a few weeks ago.

As one would expect, the EVO had less felt recoil than the G43. Brass got chucked quite a ways away on extraction - I'm glad the range was empty that day otherwise those to my right would have been practicing some dodge and weave while shooting.

Not much to say besides that...Stiff trigger pull, easy to pick up sights and target acquisition, less recoil than a G43 but more than a larger pistol, and it ate every FMJ that I threw at it along with HST's for JHP rounds. No issues so far, though it's only been a hundred or so rounds.

Something to note on the G43, though, was that the aftermarket trigger slope was leading my finger to want to move to the bottom of the trigger. If I wasn't very careful on trigger placement, I'd end up getting pinched or bit during recoil between the trigger and guard. No matter how I shot the EVO, I did not get pinched.

Between the two, the EVO was the more pleasant shooting experience. Now, if only Kimber would come out with a flush fit magazine...

My Wife got a Kimber Solo from Santa. It was plagued with problems. After 5 years of calls and trips into Kimber the issue was resolved. At the NRA in Indiana, Indianapolis, I talked to the Kimber reps and relayed my Wife's grief. Two months later she had a $1,700 credit with Kimber. She got an Evo, from their custom shop, and a Kimber knife. The target is my hand loads and her shooting at 50ft. It's a really nice gun. I got her the laser grips last year. Not as pretty but it's a bedside companion for her. As am I.

Debe's target.jpg

As far as my post is concerned, Yes. But you make it sound like it was a foolish purchase? It was never the Evo as the first choice. It was the Solo. You see Kimber does not sell Sig's and will not offer a return credit for a Solo. Hence you may as well compare what was a rather charming event to any other random gun. I put this here to agree with the OP and offer, what I thought, was a fun day at the range anecdote. If I got you in error, I apologize.

As far as my post is concerned, Yes. But you make it sound like it was a foolish purchase? It was never the Evo as the first choice. It was the Solo. You see Kimber does not sell Sig's and will not offer a return credit for a Solo. Hence you may as well compare what was a rather charming event to any other random gun. I put this here to agree with the OP and offer, what I thought, was a fun day at the range anecdote. If I got you in error, I apologize.
my apologies, just an obviously weak attempt at humor...pls just shrug it off and enjoy your new handgun..

I'm curious what this pistol looks like compared to the Springfield Hellcat. In size not capacity.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews