JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like every shell casing for my Kimber (2001 Custom II Target 5"), 1,000 rounds claimed through it (I bought it used), has a burned spot where it looks like some gasses escaped and flowed down the side of the shell when it was fired (factory 230gr FMJ).

Probably all from the same place, can't tell how the shell was facing but marks look the same on all shells.

Picture has been enhanced a bit to show the left side stain, it isn't quite as obvious as that in real life. No stain on other side of the shell.

Anybody else see this before? Any ideas before I call Kimber about it?

Thanks!

Looks like every shell casing for my Kimber (2001 Custom II Target 5"), 1,000 rounds claimed through it (I bought it used), has a burned spot where it looks like some gasses escaped and flowed down the side of the shell when it was fired (factory 230gr FMJ).

Probably all from the same place, can't tell how the shell was facing but marks look the same on all shells.

Picture has been enhanced a bit to show the left side stain, it isn't quite as obvious as that in real life. No stain on other side of the shell.

Anybody else see this before? Any ideas before I call Kimber about it?

Thanks!

Are these reloads? They look real dirty meaning case? If not reloads what brand of ammo?

Mine look like that with all my .45s (although I mainly reload with Titegroup, which scorches the case).

Might have been that they just switched powders.

To give you an idea, here is brass from a brand new Para double stack 1911, a brand new STI 1911, USP45, XD45 and a Olympic Arms AR45 (AR45 is the bottom):

The reloading guy who told me it was a problem makes sure his chambers are completely tight and don't let gasses by.....but it looks like it isn't a big deal and id pretty normal...

Powder burn looks pretty nomal. Signs of an unsupported chamber would be actual buldges in the brass, near the rim. If your chamber is too tight, the cases would get stuck on extraction. I reload for .45acp all the time. Just tumble the brass to shine it up.

I see that a lot in different Kimber's and other 45 acp's I own.I don't think it is unusual at all. I believe that to insure reliable feeding and extraction, the 45's tend to be a little more loose fitting in the chamber.:s0155:

I have heard some negative things about Kimber 1911's. I have owned 2 of them and felt like they functioned really well. I sold my first one to buy a colt series 80 and could never get it to function properly so I sold it and got another colt and it didn't funtion well either so I went back to the Kimber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top