JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
EEK! When my daughter was almost two, she was playing outside under one of our trees when I heard her start whimpering, then crying, then screaming and stumbling around. I rush out to find she had unwittingly sat in an anthill and the little red ants were crawling all over her and pinching her, even getting under her diaper. :eek::eek:

It was quite a while before she remained calm at the sight of a 'bug' of any sort. Finally, she got over her fear, or just forgot about it, and as a preteen she was our resident 'bug' expert--collecting, reading books and studying bugs. She even entertained the idea (for a short while) of becoming an entomologist!:eek::rolleyes::D

When I was a little kid, my little brother and I were messing around up in the attic of the house I grew up in, when we found an old army arctic down mummy bag.
I unrolled it and climbed inside, but when the zipper got to the top were your face shows through, it got stuck.
While my little brother was trying to unzip it, I started to feel things crawling all over my body.
There is nothing worse then being trapped in an old sleeping bag and not knowing what is trying eat you alive, or so thought my imagination.
Turns out that it was infested with earwigs, lots of earwigs, which as bugs go are not so bad, but at the time it didn't matter and somehow I managed to tear the old bag to shreds getting out of it in my panic.
There were goose feathers all over the attic and it took hours to clean up.

Yeah, Monica, when I was just a little older than a spider snack I fell into an enormous fire ant hill (northern Nevada) in our backyard! I very nearly died. Bad sick but they don't seem to bother nowadays.

jbett, my mummy bag tale, briefly, I was lying on the bunk in an open sleeping bunker, top tied like you, when I heard him comming! ZIP, up and over the top! Big azzed rat ran over my exposed face! I levered up, attempting to shove five feet of reinforced concrete out of the way with my forehead!:(

Well, not a Spider Story, or Rats... But I had a call out, to fix the phone commo, in Bunker Four, the last section of our Bunker Line Defense, at TayNinh, RVN.

I opened the door, only to be met by a myriad of CockRoaches.

I closed the door. Went to the QuarterMaster, explained the problem... (The real problem was GI's with no thought of policing their C RAT Meals).

I returned to Four, with Two industrial cans of BUGS, Your DEAD.

I sprayed... And cursed myself, for not bringing my gas mask. Nasty Stuff!

I came back, later that day.... They seemed to be Bigger, Stronger!!!

??? What now QuarterMaster ????

He gave me a CS Grenade... He said, we use this for Last Resort.

I open the door to Bunker Four. pull the Pin. Throw the CS inside. Close the door.

Guard Mount was informed to only use the roof of the Bunker, where the M-60 was placed.....

I returned the Next Day... There was Five Inches of Dead Cock Roaches.

I fix telephones... Not shovel dead Roaches... Got permission for a detail of 2 VietNamese workers... ANd transported them to Bunker Four.

A three day Job, when all was done. Problem???? One of the obliviots from a prior Guard Mount had borrowed Good D Cell batteries, from the phone, for his personal radio... And put dead Batteries in Place.

I know, that to be true... Cause I was the one who was in charge of testing the Batteries and replacing them.... It was a regular problem.... And used up my precious work time!!!! I was the Only Commo Man our Company had...

philip, Trouble Shooter One Five. Out

Those guys don't bother me.

What does bother me is the photo my wife showed me yesterday she took ok her phone outside of a store.

Was a Hobo the size of a 1/2 dollar or bigger. Just there, on the wall..

Nope nope nope. Nope I don't volunteer to sweet that building out that's got all them spiders in it..

Nope.
Not happening...
I'll fix the hole in the ceiling from the 12 gauge before I attempt this.

YUP 12 Gage and Napalm Maybe Both at once........................................................................:s0106::s0043::s0106::s0043::s0106::s0040::s0040::s0040::s0040::s0040::s0040::s0040::s0040:

I used to do Brush and Field Mowing. Some of the places I mowed were full of Trees, like Oak, Alder, Maple etc and when I drove under them the stack on the tractor shot straight up. The damned spiders would drop out and cover me by the thousands. You kind of just get used to it. It is the ones in my house that I hate finding.
Also the number of yellow jacket nests can be horrendous. I got to where I mowed some areas taped up in a bee suit.

Thos big suckers that were in that video would have me moving to the arctic.

EEK! When my daughter was almost two, she was playing outside under one of our trees when I heard her start whimpering, then crying, then screaming and stumbling around. I rush out to find she had unwittingly sat in an anthill and the little red ants were crawling all over her and pinching her, even getting under her diaper. :eek::eek:

It was quite a while before she remained calm at the sight of a 'bug' of any sort. Finally, she got over her fear, or just forgot about it, and as a preteen she was our resident 'bug' expert--collecting, reading books and studying bugs. She even entertained the idea (for a short while) of becoming an entomologist!:eek::rolleyes::D

Monica, down South we have these "Fire Ants" that have killed people from being swarmed.
My work involved digging pits to access the buried telephone cables we needed to work on. I had to leave it open till the next day to finish the task, the next morning I jump in to finish up the splice.
A few minuets later I felt crawlies on me & immediately scrambled out of the pit (which was in the shade) I looked down and the floor & walls of the pit was alive with thousands of these ants. They had done a job on me before I got my pants of and my helper sprayed me down with the fire extinguisher to get the rest of them off me. Yep right on the side of a busy highway standing there in my undies. I looked like I had the measles with all the bits on my lower body & had to take 2 days off & take pain meds and lotion.
Did I mention I HATE ANTS?????

I used to hate walkin into spots to hunt deer in the dark & get one of those thick webs in the face. It was like seeing Freddy Kruger and the alien right in front of me!!!! Bloody Hell dang near killed myself!!!!!!o_O

Or dug into a foxhole and having tarantula size spiders crawling all over ya.
Hard to not become a target with that happening. The literal spider hole.

And they eat the damned things.

Skuon-spiders01.jpg

buggirl.jpg

Last Edited:
I used to play with daddy long-leg spiders, potato bugs, earwigs, and snakes around here as a kid. I remember going out to the fields and lifting up pieces of wood to find (and catch) red/yellow stripped garter snakes, magnifying glass and the sun on ants, they never really bother me... Until I found myself in the Army... in the South.

Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Lousiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida... Honduras, Panama, El Salvador, Columbia, Costa Rica, Belize....

I remember forming up on our grounded rucksacks, donning them, standing in formation, doing a right face to move out... and what's on TOP of ruck directly in front of me just a mere 6" from my face? Only a 12"x 15-lbs Praying Mantis! Out of reflex I slapped it, making the same sound as if I just slapped a piece of hanging meat! Of course it was dug in on the fabric of the ruck and didn't budge, it just cocked its head and hissed at me then flew off...

Then there were 6-lbs rino-beetles, fire ants, cockroaches the size of large rats that attacked alley cats, black widows, water moccasins (cotton mouths), malaria infested mosquitos, aggressive bees, bushmasters and boa constrictors, tarantulas that moved around at night in HERDS, occassional scorpions, and various other reptiles with unpleasant dispostions like iguanas and camen (BTW- I'm not talking about politicians, folks)

Sheesh, all I wanted to do was kill commies (or at least scare the hell out of them) for my country...

Last Edited:
Well, not a Spider Story, or Rats... But I had a call out, to fix the phone commo, in Bunker Four, the last section of our Bunker Line Defense, at TayNinh, RVN.

I opened the door, only to be met by a myriad of CockRoaches.

I closed the door. Went to the QuarterMaster, explained the problem... (The real problem was GI's with no thought of policing their C RAT Meals).

I returned to Four, with Two industrial cans of BUGS, Your DEAD.

I sprayed... And cursed myself, for not bringing my gas mask. Nasty Stuff!

I came back, later that day.... They seemed to be Bigger, Stronger!!!

??? What now QuarterMaster ????

He gave me a CS Grenade... He said, we use this for Last Resort.

I open the door to Bunker Four. pull the Pin. Throw the CS inside. Close the door.

Guard Mount was informed to only use the roof of the Bunker, where the M-60 was placed.....

I returned the Next Day... There was Five Inches of Dead Cock Roaches.

I fix telephones... Not shovel dead Roaches... Got permission for a detail of 2 VietNamese workers... ANd transported them to Bunker Four.

A three day Job, when all was done. Problem???? One of the obliviots from a prior Guard Mount had borrowed Good D Cell batteries, from the phone, for his personal radio... And put dead Batteries in Place.

I know, that to be true... Cause I was the one who was in charge of testing the Batteries and replacing them.... It was a regular problem.... And used up my precious work time!!!! I was the Only Commo Man our Company had...

philip, Trouble Shooter One Five. Out

Spiders, snakes, mice, rats, no problem, but roaches......... I would have run away screaming like a little girl, I can't stand roaches. Just the thought of them now makes my breakfast want to come up. I'm not afraid of them I just think that they are the most disgusting things in the world.

Ray

I used to have a career that often put me in cheap motels for the night, and I often got spider bites in bed. I learned to turn off the lights, wait about ten minutes, and then turn the light back on. WOW. They come out when it is dark! There is a nasty breed, probably evolved in motels, that crawls across the ceiling so that they can dangle down onto you with their infrared heat-seeking vision. I could sometimes catch them dangling halfway down to me! Some of them were beeeeeg.:eek:

Snakes, mice, rats, roaches, spiders - all of those are terrible things that should be eliminated with extreme prejudice. If it slithers, crawls, jumps, or is otherwise small and gross it shall die. Weird fears from my child hood that don't die. I wasn't the kid playing with snakes or mice or bugs.

We had a rat problem in a duplex I was renting once - I wound up posting up in the living room with a BB gun with a flash light duct taped to the barrel and doing some pest control until the land lord got off his arse and fixed the giant holes he'd knocked in the wall to run the plumbing for teh sink and dishwasher through. Turned out the rats were "pets" of the next door neighbors, and their kid had left the door to the cage open and the "pets" escaped. Some of the "pets" never returned. My step daughter used to wake up in the night terrified by the scratching noise and telling us stories about the "glowing red eyes by her bed" - we thought she was just having bad dreams, then we actually saw a rat scurry out of her room and run toward the kitchen. That place solidified my hatred of living in apartments or duplexes of any sort.

Spiders, snakes, mice, rats, no problem, but roaches......... I would have run away screaming like a little girl, I can't stand roaches. Just the thought of them now makes my breakfast want to come up. I'm not afraid of them I just think that they are the most disgusting things in the world.

Ray

I am sorry my post startled you, now that we know this, we will just call them the "little c things", it caused my brain to remember the Streets of Kileen TX, next to Fort Hood....

I won't discuss it... Disgusting....

philip :eek: o_O :confused: :oops: :s0004:

I am sorry my post startled you, now that we know this, we will just call them the "little c things", it caused my brain to remember the Streets of Kileen TX, next to Fort Hood....

I won't discuss it... Disgusting....

philip :eek: o_O :confused: :oops: :s0004:

It's not the name of those vile little creatures that upset my stomach so much as it was the thought of being in that close of a proximity to that many of them:eek:.

I understand about Kileen, been there on a few occasions.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top