JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's why you learn then yunguns early to shoot.

Wonder what gun dad will buy him for his heroism
I know I'd be taking him to the gun shop to get exactly what feels best,so the next intruder doesn't go to the hospital.

THIS is one of the stories we should shove in the faces of gun control wacks. So, anti 2nd rights person, in this situation what would your teen do? That's right they would die. Your teen and siblings would most likely be dead. The teens parents should be praised for teaching this young citizen the right things: how to and when to use a firearm.
Brings up a good question. My wife and kids are taught (safety first) and experienced with a range of firearms, but I also have all firearms locked up. Our house is usually a hub of activity with grandkids and local kids free run of the house. It is my responsibility to keep things secured. I have quick access cases for me - primary protector. BUT my taught and experienced teen does not have access (combinations) to locked cases or safe. I now need to reassess whether to enable him access as back up / alternate with a revisit on safety (can never revisit that subject to much). Mom has access, but is also not as comfortable or experienced as the teen.
Thoughts?
What do you do for locked up? Single master of access or core family access?

It is horrible the young boy was ever put in this position, but the title of that news article could have been far worse. I am glad he was able to do what was needed at the time, and his parents taught him to do so.

THIS is one of the stories we should shove in the faces of gun control wacks. So, anti 2nd rights person, in this situation what would your teen do? That's right they would die. Your teen and siblings would most likely be dead. The teens parents should be praised for teaching this young citizen the right things: how to and when to use a firearm.
Brings up a good question. My wife and kids are taught (safety first) and experienced with a range of firearms, but I also have all firearms locked up. Our house is usually a hub of activity with grandkids and local kids free run of the house. It is my responsibility to keep things secured. I have quick access cases for me - primary protector. BUT my taught and experienced teen does not have access (combinations) to locked cases or safe. I now need to reassess whether to enable him access as back up / alternate with a revisit on safety (can never revisit that subject to much). Mom has access, but is also not as comfortable or experienced as the teen.
Thoughts?

I "liked" the story for facebook,but I think I will share it now.

Hey as long as you have trained him correctly, he does respect guns,and would never take them out for anything but like this,without permission,I would most definitely give them access .

Thoughts?

It has to be your call. You know your son better than we do. If he's ready, he needs access. If not, tough choice but not yet.

I don't think the time at the range will help with all children.
Some people,not just children,are more mature than others.Not all adults would react this way.
For some reason this kid is more mature for his age.

I bet Sarah Brady threw up after reading that article since she probably believes

(To paraphrase a well known saying)

A group of kids, raped and strangled is morally superior to a teen with a smoking gun and a dead criminal at his feet.

It's funny that the MSN article ends with police hailing the boy for doing "exactly what he should have done" and called the family lucky. Actually, in the full report, they say that the family is lucky that he acted so quickly and decisively. It's funny how MSN spins it into a twist of fate that the kid pulled off a one in a million shot and "got lucky". That's bull**** journalism. Still, good for the kid and good for his family.

On another note, my boy will be 9 in September. He is a good shot and is surprisingly mature with fireams due to constant exposure. In my opinion he is too young to know how to access a loaded firearm in the house. The temptation to show a friend or whatever fill in the blank circumstance you can imagine would be horrible. If we lived in a much more rural area, it may be different. As it is, he's just too young. Kip.

One of my granddaughters was here last summer, and was talking about "friends" wanting to see/play with her family firearms. She was asking me, why would they want her to betray her families trust....(she's a good shot too...BTW:) She sent her visitor's packing after they asked her that...

Proper training, and your kids are probably much better with those type of situations than you give them credit for. Trust is earned, kids do learn that...the more consistant YOU are...the better they will be. Because YOU were untrustworthy, don't assume they will be the same as you were.

It has been my experience, we raised 5, that the more you trust your kids, the more trustworthy they will be...when they prove otherwise by their actions, you have to stand by your restrictions...they learn that way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top