JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is still here and upheld by people who will not turn their back on their county by turning their t-shirts inside out as an atemp to hide the American Flag!
So you are okay with someone perverting the meaning of the flag in an effort to incite problems with other Americans? So any use of the flag is okay with you no matter what the intent?

So you think people should be allowed to incite trouble then sue if they are stopped or sue if it escalates? You do know who's money they are taking, right?

I think people should be allowed to invite government abuse, and punish the crap out of them when they are abusive. Rosa Parks did exactly this, and is a hero. That kid who keeps getting pulled over in IL does it, and is a personal hero of mine.

HOW else do you think we'll change the actions of these people, other than costing the taxpayers money?

Alternatively, are you in any way FOR judgments against companies? You know who pays for that, right? The same group who is paying for the school judgments.

So you are okay with someone perverting the meaning of the flag in an effort to incite problems with other Americans? So any use of the flag is okay with you no matter what the intent?

There is ZERO perversion here. They used the flag to incite an abusive response from a government entity as a way to use the justice system to punish them for it. This is about as American as it gets!

There is ZERO perversion here. They used the flag to incite an abusive response from a government entity as a way to use the justice system to punish them for it. This is about as American as it gets!
If you really think that you are blinded by either a false sense of patriotism or ulterior motivations.

If, during a St. Patrick's day festival at a local Irish bar, a bunch of skin heads showed up and formed a line outside the bar wearing American flag t-shirts you would consider their motives pure?

It is sad how this has been blown out of proportion! "Patriots" can be too touchy! The bottom issue here is not political or about immigration. It's that the school administrator thought that group of boys was trying to start a racial fight.

My ancestors were miserable, starving Irish immigrants, forced to abandon their ancient homeland due to British oppression. Through the years they prospered and now Saint Patrick's Day is a huge unofficial holiday in many major cities. Now if a school was celebrating Saint Patrick's Day and a group of boys came wearing British Union Jack t-shirts..................I'd suspect they were deliberately trying to provoke a violent reaction. A school administrator would not be out of line in trying to head off trouble. Imagine if a group of boys wore Confederate Battle Flag shirts on Martin Luther King Day! Obviously that would be deliberately provokative, right? A school would have to take action, right?

What if the situation was reversed? What if school was celebrating on the Fourth of July, and a group of kids came wearing Mexican flag t-shirts? Would there not be a threat of trouble brewing? You can bet that any good school administrator would tell them to cool their First Amendment freedom and take off the shirts.

Our First Amendment freedom was never about shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater. Or about starting fights at school with inflamatory t-shirts. Patriots need to conserve their outrage for more important Bill of Rights issues.........................elsullo

We live here:

states.gif

This is our flag:

USA_flag.gif

We do not live here:

Mexico.gif

The American flag is not, and never will be a sign of disrespect in the United States of America.

If you really think that you are blinded by either a false sense of patriotism or ulterior motivations.

That sounds very "No True Scotsman" of you.

In this case, it is using the American Flag to defend the 1st amendment rights of a person against an abusive government official. In what manner is that NOT patriotism?

In what way is defending rights of citizens against the government NOT worthy of the American flag?

To be clear, I'd be defending the students in the same manner if they used Mexican flag t-shirts to get the administration to react negatively.

The American flag is not and never will be a sign of disrespect in the United state of America.

Thats right! And turning your shirt inside out to hide an image of the American Flag on it is totally disrespectful!

The American flag is not and never will be a sign of disrespect in the United state of America.

Thats right! And turning your shirt inside out to hide an image of the American Flag on it is totally disrespectful!
Anything can be used in a disrespectful manner. To deny that is foolish.

To show disrespect for the flag by trying to use it to incite trouble is in very poor taste in my book. It is definitely not patriotic. The flag does not represent hate or prejudice. Doing this is something no patriot should even support.

Anything can be used in a disrespectful manner. To deny that is foolish.

To show disrespect for the flag by trying to use it to incite trouble is in very poor taste in my book. It is definitely not patriotic. It does not represent hate.

Being 'disrespectful' shouldn't be illegal in any way. I'd prefer to HAVE rights, thank you very much.

I also don't think that ANY usage of a flag for the purpose of political demonstration should be illegal. Flag burning as a way to show disagreement with the government is about as Patriotic as humanly possible.

Being 'disrespectful' shouldn't be illegal in any way. I'd prefer to HAVE rights, thank you very much.

I also don't think that ANY usage of a flag for the purpose of political demonstration should be illegal. Flag burning as a way to show disagreement with the government is about as Patriotic as humanly possible.

No one is making it illegal. They are preventing children from using the flag to incite trouble in a public school. Anyone that cannot see that distinction needs to take a step back and think for a minute. They are obviously allowing their "patriotism" to blind them. All they are seeing is a flag and not the circumstances. That is never good. That is the basis for mob mentality.

It's not illegal, and the kids wearing the shirts faced no legal penalty. These were kids at school, not people in public. Normal first amendment rules don't apply in the schools, and administrators have a great deal of discretion.

That said, I suspect that this administrator could have figured out a way to solve this problem without disrespecting our flag and heritage. It's a shame she didn't.

If, during a St. Patrick's day festival at a local Irish bar, a bunch of skin heads showed up and formed a line outside the bar wearing American flag t-shirts you would consider their motives pure?

I would call it their first Amendment Right. Public Demonstrations happen all of the time and so do Counter-demonstrations. It is how our system works here. You are allowed freedom of speech. If the other side reacts violently to a peaceful demonstration, they are in the wrong period.

My dad's family migrated here from Ireland too. When they did, they became AMERICANS! They did not walk around waving Irish flag and demanding nobody sports the American flag in their presence! They swore allegence to this country and became citizens. There is only one flag here and in NO SITUATION will a foreign flag fly when the flag of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA fly.

The boys were not starting a fight. If the boys walked up to one of the Mexican kids and punched him in the face, that would have been starting a fight. What the kids were doing was displaying their own country's flag, in their own country! There is never a time that someone peacefully showing the American flag is going to be a problem for me! Read the article! The kids were sitting at the lunch table doiing nothing wrong!

This angers me to no end. Time to wake up America.

No one is making it illegal. They are preventing children from using the flag to incite trouble in a public school. Anyone that cannot see that distinction needs to take a step back and think for a minute. They are obviously allowing their "patriotism" to blind them. All they are seeing is a flag and not the circumstances. That is never good. That is the basis for mob mentality.

ZachS said:
It's not illegal, and the kids wearing the shirts faced no legal penalty. These were kids at school, not people in public. Normal first amendment rules don't apply in the schools, and administrators have a great deal of discretion.

That said, I suspect that this administrator could have figured out a way to solve this problem without disrespecting our flag and heritage. It's a shame she didn't.

I realize it isn't 'illegal' in the general justice sense, however they were punished for it in the school, so it was contrary to the rules.

I understand that school administrators were once given a great deal of discretion, however this has been trimmed down in recent which I think is a good thing. The rights of students are slowly being enforced by the courts as well.

For me, it isn't patriotism blinding me here. NO ONE has shown that these shirts were used with a purpose to incite violence/trouble from other students. If ANYTHING (as cited by the article), all the mexican flag wearing classmates were the ones whose shirts caused problems.

I would call it their first Amendment Right. Public Demonstrations happen all of the time and so do Counter-demonstrations. It is how our system works here. You are allowed freedom of speech. If the other side reacts violently to a peaceful demonstration, they are in the wrong period.

My dad's family migrated here from Ireland too. When they did, they became AMERICANS! They did not walk around waving Irish flag and demanding nobody sports the American flag in their presence! They swore allegence to this country and became citizens. There is only one flag here and in NO SITUATION will a foreign flag fly when the flag of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA fly.

The boys were not starting a fight. If the boys walked up to one of the Mexican kids and punched him in the face, that would have been starting a fight. What the kids were doing was displaying their own country's flag, in their own country! There is never a time that someone peacefully showing the American flag is going to be a problem for me! Read the article! The kids were sitting at the lunch table doiing nothing wrong!

This angers me to no end. Time to wake up America.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks!

Amen to that. My Grandfather immigrated with his parents from Germany, and they became naturalized citizens. They didn't consider themselves German-Americans, just Americans.

As far as I am concerned, if you are a born citizen of the USA or a naturalized citizen of the USA, any other country's flag is merely a decoration that deserves zero allegience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Having worked in the public education system I can tell you that there is no room for tolerance of any type of inciting behavior. ...

To me, patriotism does not include blindly being worked into a frenzy behind anyone waving a flag. It is about being considerate of different backgrounds and cultures and being respectful of my fellow Americans.

As an American who's ancestors helped found this nation and served under it's various flags from the beginning, I can tell you I have no tolerance for Leftie Liberals making kids take off shirts with the American flag for Cinco de Mayo. Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that celebrates the Mexican militia breaking French rule in 1862. This event is part of it's struggles for a few decades which include the Mexican-American war. REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

I also take issue with so called Americans who want to push this a some kind of national holiday and call whites racist for not wanting to celebrate it or for showing national pride on this day. I would wager if all the Mestizos at that school wore Mexican flags and ran the Mexican flag up the pole over the American flag for the 4th of July that would be just fine with the communists that run our education (indoctrination) system today. :angry: Like they did at this school. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_mexican_flag.htm

This kind of behavior is why we home school. I want my boy to learn real truth in history and real pride in who he is and where he comes from, not to mention all the other things the public school system fails to teach, like math and English.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top