JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or better yet we could blame big government for trying to replace the father in the home. Better yet big government being the solution of all of our problems, instead of holding parents responsible for their actions. Guns don't mysteriously hurt people, there is a cause and effect. We have a responsibility as responsible gun owners to make sure we limit the ammunition the left can use against us to further erode our rights.
There is absolutely no doubt that the lack of fathers in families is a huge part of the problem. Whether that situation is promoted by welfare regulations, easy divorce, etc. doesn't matter. Without a dad in the house kids, especially boys are more prone to trouble. It's just an observable fact.

There is absolutely no doubt that the lack of fathers in families is a huge part of the problem. Whether that situation is promoted by welfare regulations, easy divorce, etc. doesn't matter. Without a dad in the house kids, especially boys are more prone to trouble. It's just an observable fact.
Logical fallacy. Correlation does not prove causation. There's more to it than just "oh there wasn't a father" if there's a problem child with a single parent.

Bad parenting is bad parenting, regardless of how the household is set up.

Video games, NERF, and Airsoft are a huge problem as well.
I could not disagree more. Ever since real guns have been in America, toy guns have been right there too. Cap guns have been around for a long time and dart guns are no new invention either. There are no studies that show access to toy guns increases homicide rates. This is the same garbage that the NRA started on with violent video games. The vast majority of Americans with guns have played with both toy guns, and violent video games. These are not factors in creating crazy homicidal gun owners. Love the educational work you do, but man, I hope you are sticking with facts in your presentations and not spreading more misinformation.

I remember the time I was a little homicidal clown on my home pla... Old country because of the toy plasma guns being used when playing intergalactic cops and robbers. :rolleyes:

I could not disagree more. Ever since real guns have been in America, toy guns have been right there too. Cap guns have been around for a long time and dart guns are no new invention either. There are no studies that show access to toy guns increases homicide rates. This is the same garbage that the NRA started on with violent video games. The vast majority of Americans with guns have played with both toy guns, and violent video games. These are not factors in creating crazy homicidal gun owners. Love the educational work you do, but man, I hope you are sticking with facts in your presentations and not spreading more misinformation.

IMO why do we need 300 types of toy guns? We don't, the left is always trying to take our guns or want compromises. I will not compromise with my handgun or modern sporting rifle they serve a purpose. These fake guns unfortunately do not. You'd be shocked of the amount of kids that I meet that believe zombies are real!! I've had kids start crying because I've tried to educate them that there is no such thing as zombies. I'm trying to change the culture is all. I don't want kids to be pointing another gun at a living animal, real or fake period. I show a slide on real and fake guns and about %60 can pick the real gun. That's dangerous, that's ammunition for the left. I'd gladly give up a NERF gun but, I'll never give up my Glock 19, I need that. I stick to facts from age 2-7 studies have shown kids engage in "magical" thinking. They do not know the difference from reality and non-reality, they learn from experiences and maturity. What I do say is if you choose to give your kids NERF or Airsoft, please go to my website. There you can print out targets free of charge, put them on the wall. Have your kids get in the habit of shooting a target not a family member or other living thing. I'm PRO-GUN, PRO-FREEDOM, and PRO-AMERICAN, but I also realize how truly close we are to losing all of our gun rights. Especially here in Oregon. I also say I'm not trying to teach parents how to parent their kids, I'm merely offering suggestions on how they can prevent a possible accident that would forever change their lives.

The serving purpose argument works both ways. You don't need a FAL, or M14, or w/e. You can't defend the house with them in an urban area, and you can hunt with a bolt action or fixed mag semiauto.

Not that I would make that argument, but if the requirement was that a purpose has to be served you can bet arguments like that will be brought up.

There's a reason gun safety and recognition needs to be taught. At least then they'd be able to differentiate between a fake gun and a real gun. And a reason why you also don't let them play airsoft or paintball until they're older.

The serving purpose argument works both ways. You don't need a FAL, or M14, or w/e. You can't defend the house with them in an urban area, and you can hunt with a bolt action or fixed mag semiauto.

Not that I would make that argument, but if the requirement was that a purpose has to be served you can bet arguments like that will be brought up.

There's a reason gun safety and recognition needs to be taught. At least then they'd be able to differentiate between a fake gun and a real gun. And a reason why you also don't let them play airsoft or paintball until they're older.
It all comes down to personal responsibility and good parenting, unfortunately gone are the days of when I was a kid. Where we could play outside until the streetlights came on. Video was for awareness definitely not to cause any sorts of disagreements. I take my position in the gun debate very seriously. As a former NRA hero of the day, I've seen first hand how a good guy with a gun can help our cause.

Video games, NERF, and Airsoft are a huge problem as well.
I respectfully disagree... It's only a problem thier parents buy them these toys to keep them out of thier hair and never spend time and teach. My son started playing first person shooter video games, and having nerf wars with me when he was 5 years old, and has dozens of nerf guns. He's almost 18 now, but I used his "toys" and video games as tools to educate him on gun safety. Both my kids are so used to having guns around, they are bored by them. The problems come when the guns are seen as taboo, and thus kids get curious and sneak into dad's sock drawer etc.

I don't want kids to be pointing another gun at a living animal, real or fake period. \

Have your kids get in the habit of shooting a target not a family member or other living thing.
This is why I also do not care for toy guns or Airsoft guns.
Toy guns , airsoft guns paintball guns , etc ... can all promote bad gun habits at the least and dangerous mind sets at the worst , if no one bothers to explain the differences between those guns and a real firearm.

When showing my antique gun collection off , I wish I had a nickel for every time :
I heard "Oh I know about guns 'caused I played ..."
The taking away of the gun when someone points it at someone and says bang...
The almost constant repeating of "Keep your finger of the trigger , please..."

Upon questioning some folks who have said or done the above I have found that many have only had contact with toy guns and the like , and no one to teach them that such behavior can cause death.
Granted this is far from scientific and borders on anecdotal evidence...

In showing my collection off , I also have come to the conclusion that far too many folks young and old have no real idea of what can happen if a gun is misused or even if handled properly.

When teaching my neighbors son how to shoot , he could not believe that the clay bird he hit with a .22 , did not "disappear" after being shot , like the "targets" in his video games...
Some adults that I have worked with also have a hard separating fact from fantasy when it comes to firearms.

Note to all...
I am not saying that toy guns and the like should be banned.
I am saying that far too many folks have had their ideas about guns shaped from toy guns , airsoft , paintball , movies , video games etc ...When this happens , without someone who teaches them otherwise dangerous habits with guns , can be made.
Thank you to all who do teach otherwise...
Andy
Edit to add :
After seeing first hand and causing it to happen , just what a bullet will do to a human after being shot ... has taken any "fun" away from the idea of playing certain video games , paintball etc ...
So I may not be the most impartial person on this subject...

Last Edited:
I just don't care for toy guns because they can be ridiculously expensive for what they are.

The only "toy guns" I have interest in are air rifles, which kinda borderline not toys considering they can kill critters and do some damage on a person. So those a good thing to start safety training with, providing the kid can action use it (my RWS has a pretty heavy side lever). o_O

To clarify, I did have airsoft guns in the past. But I don't buy them since getting one that is semiauto or full auto is too expensive for something I'd rarely use.

Last Edited:
I respectfully disagree... It's only a problem thier parents buy them these toys to keep them out of thier hair and never spend time and teach. My son started playing first person shooter video games, and having nerf wars with me when he was 5 years old, and has dozens of nerf guns. He's almost 18 now, but I used his "toys" and video games as tools to educate him on gun safety. Both my kids are so used to having guns around, they are bored by them. The problems come when the guns are seen as taboo, and thus kids get curious and sneak into dad's sock drawer etc.

I will say this, in a school type environment I'm not able to bring in real guns to teach the kids. What I can do is show the children how they can treat a NERF Gun or Airsoft like a real gun. This is how I am able to teach the 4 basic Safety rules without having a real gun present. The schools have to be a sterile environment and I have to kind of modify my approach.

I had toy guns and played with them and totally got the difference between fantasy and reality with guns at a young age. But I cringe at the idea of pointing a toy gun at someone or having them pointed at me. Now, nerf and things that don't really seem like a real gun that much get a bit of a pass from me and I love paintball.

But paintball is a sport for adults. I have a round scar on my bicep from one that I got hit with at 3 ft after a match was over.To me there is a tremendous difference with paintball and having a human in my sights. (I haven't served, but I have been in scenarios where I have held someone in my sights appropriately and I do deal with the aftermath of the occasional suicide attempt by gun that leads to injury, not fatality.)

I just got this via FB. I'm at a loss for words.

I have a story that feel like I need to share with you. I have very close family friend that made a very tragic mistake handling a firearm that will forever change the lives of everyone in his family. It's so horrific and painful, but I want the loss to be used in a positive for something positive.

On Saturday evening 7/15/17 a very close friend of mine that I have shot with many times and I know to be a safe handler of firearms, had a negligent discharge that struck his 16 year old son in the back of his head killing him instantly. He collapsed in the arms of his mother mid conversation with his sister standing next to him. My friend was attempting to disassemble a 9mm pistol for cleaning after an afternoon with the family at the range. He dropped the slide on what he thought was an empty chamber, his finger was in the trigger guard, and unfortunately the muzzle was not in a safe direction. He made a number of mistakes that all aligned perfectly for disastrous results. This is the worst possible thing I can imagine.

My heart breaks for this family, and yet I struggle with anger toward my friend for his sheer negligence. I want to turn that anger into something positive, that's why I felt the need to share this with someone in a position to teach why firearms safety is so imperative.

I hate to read or hear stories like that.

Make it a habit to always check to see if a gun is loaded as soon as you pick it up... As in muscle memory habit.
Always have your finger off the trigger and the muzzle pointing in a safe direction.
( again make this a "muscle memory" thru practice )

I have gotten strange looks at gun stores or shows for checking the action of a gun that I am looking at...But I would rather have strange looks than a unexpected boom , from a "empty" gun.

Note I am not the judging or faulting the dad in the story ... Nor am I saying that I am better than that...
Just saying what I do every time I look at a gun .
Andy

When I was a kid I was given first rifle at 6. Was only allowed to take it out with Dad for a few years. Rifle and ammo was right there though. When my kids were growing up I did keep guns locked until they were a little older. When they got to where I felt they could be left at home while the Mom and I went out at night, I felt they were old enough to have access to one of my guns. One was kept in a lock box they had the combo too.

If you have children you need to lock up your guns.

before we go any further down the road of good and bad parenting ruining America the tragedy of kids accessing guns and accidentally shooting someone comes down to the responsibility of the gun owner and their choice to not lock it up. That has nothing to do with being a good parent or bad, it has everything to do with being irresponsible, accidents do not discriminate against bad parents only...

the fact that most families have not had an accident with guns left out does not erase the tragedies of the 315 families that did.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top