JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I spent a while putting this all together. Education is important. ZERO Firearm accidents is the only acceptable goal!!

IMG_6831.JPG

Hard facts to hear and read.
I am not sure what changed in American homes ... But I grew up with easy access to "my guns" or my dad's guns.
Never did I shoot someone with them.
Note I am not arguing with you or your post... Just wishing that everyone's stories were like mine and not like the facts you posted.

And as always thank you for the work you do and the service you do for others...
Andy

Hard facts indeed!! I know most of us here are responsible with our firearms. The problem is the left has a tendency to group us all together when it comes to statistics. That isn't right, I'm merely trying to show how important and precious life is and how we can all help make a difference. I appreciate your support!!

You're doing great work and saving lives. There's nothing more important than the lives of children. We all need to be reminded of that from time to time.

@AndyinEverson, I think the difference between now and then is that we saw guns being used responsibly as we grew up. We understood the consequences of misuse, even as kids. We understood that what we saw on TV or in cartoons was unrealistic. Yes, guns were easy to get hold of for me as a kid, but I also had first hand experience with them. Most kids these days don't have any experience with guns, so what they see on TV or in a movie is reality to them. The idea of consequences never crosses their minds.

One thing I have always done is about the time a kid can understand and follow directions, I give them a pistol to shoot while closely supervised in a safe setting. Even my old Colt 1903 in .32 acp makes an impression on them when they fire it for the first time. They instantly understand that it's not a toy, and that this is serious adult business. I have yet to have one of my 6 kids try this when they were about 6 yrs old and NOT hand the gun back to me after the first shot. From that point forward it's a matter of convincing them that if they follow the rules shooting can be fun. But from that point forward they have all always taken guns seriously.

Hard facts to hear and read.
I am not sure what changed in American homes ... But I grew up with easy access to "my guns" or my dad's guns.
Never did I shoot someone with them.
Note I am not arguing with you or your post... Just wishing that everyone's stories were like mine and not like the facts you posted.

And as always thank you for the work you do and the service you do for others...
Andy
What happened to change it all? Men stopped being men. Kids aren't taught about guns like they would have been.

In addition to other social issues and mental health problems that is. But even then that shouldn't be a whole lot.

What happened to change it all? Men stopped being men. Kids aren't taught about guns like they would have been.

In addition to other social issues and mental health problems that is. But even then that shouldn't be a whole lot.

Well you can look at the erosion of the family, country, and definitely the state of Oregon. Gun safety is making a comeback. So is personal responsibility.

Well you can look at the erosion of the family, country, and definitely the state of Oregon. Gun safety is making a comeback. So is personal responsibility.
That too. But hopefully it gets to the point kids are taught gun safety again. Recently there was a bill here in NC that would make gun safety classes mandatory in elementary schools.

I'd be all for that!! It is the goal of the foundation to have something similar here in Oregon.

for every kid? no. i will make that assessment once i feel comfortable with my own kids.

i was just stating my experience. for my dad to feel comfortable to let me have my own gun kept in my room, i was 6. my brother, not so much. when i turned 7 my brother was 3 and then my gun was to be kept in my room up high in the closet with a lock thru the action... only me and my dad knew where the key was. ammo was then kept separate from the gun. once my brother showed my dad he could be trusted then we both had the privilege of having our own 22s in each of our rooms in a locking cabinet. never had a problem. we were raised around guns and that was just our way of life. it still is.

each kid is different and its up to the parents IMO to make the choice and educate their children.

obviously, firearm safety is number one and should be pounded into everyones brain before even owning a gun. i believe the safest choice generally speaking to keep kids(or an unwanted intruder) from accessing them is for them to be locked in the safe out of sight out of mind but, that will not keep me from having my nightstand pistol loaded every night next to me.

when i introduced my son to firearms he was 1 year old. he always had hearing protection and was not allowed to touch them.

he's 3 now and can name a 9mm 40 and 45 cartrige and decipher my glock from my 1911, my 5.56AR from my 300blk AR. i have shown him both of his 22s that are locked in the safe and he understands he is not old enough to shoot them yet. sure, he gets to see them once in a while with my supervision. i will pull them out of the safe, unload them and let him look at them. i dont want these pieces of wood and metal to be mysterious to him. i feel it is important to educate him as best i can while his brain is like a sponge and has not developed bad habits. i have explained how and why i clean my guns after shooting and even have had him sit with me at my reloding bench to observe what all it takes to make a round. all reloding components and ammo are locked up too.

i always take him out shooting to this day and he knows what is ok and what is NOT OK. in my house, all guns are locked in my liberty safe except for me and the wifes EDC.

there are absolutely NO excuses for negligence. that is just my experience and how i will raise my kids.

for every kid? no. i will make that assessment once i feel comfortable with my own kids.

i was just stating my experience. for my dad to feel comfortable to let me have my own gun kept in my room, i was 6. my brother, not so much. when i turned 7 my brother was 3 and then my gun was to be kept in my room up high in the closet with a lock thru the action... only me and my dad knew where the key was. ammo was then kept separate from the gun. once my brother showed my dad he could be trusted then we both had the privilege of having our own 22s in each of our rooms in a locking cabinet. never had a problem. we were raised around guns and that was just our way of life. it still is.

each kid is different and its up to the parents IMO to make the choice and educate their children.

obviously, firearm safety is number one and should be pounded into everyones brain before even owning a gun. i believe the safest choice generally speaking to keep kids(or an unwanted intruder) from accessing them is for them to be locked in the safe out of sight out of mind but, that will not keep me from having my nightstand pistol loaded every night next to me.

when i introduced my son to firearms he was 1 year old. he always had hearing protection and was not allowed to touch them.

he's 3 now and can name a 9mm 40 and 45 cartrige and decipher my glock from my 1911, my 5.56AR from my 300blk AR. i have shown him both of his 22s that are locked in the safe and he understands he is not old enough to shoot them yet. sure, he gets to see them once in a while with my supervision. i will pull them out of the safe, unload them and let him look at them. i dont want these pieces of wood and metal to be mysterious to him. i feel it is important to educate him as best i can while his brain is like a sponge and has not developed bad habits. i have explained how and why i clean my guns after shooting and even have had him sit with me at my reloding bench to observe what all it takes to make a round. all reloding components and ammo are locked up too.

i always take him out shooting to this day and he knows what is ok and what is NOT OK. in my house, all guns are locked in my liberty safe except for me and the wifes EDC.

there are absolutely NO excuses for negligence. that is just my experience and how i will raise my kids.
Parenting done right!! Congrats

Let me put on my 'ol phart hat for a minute.
Most all of these accidents can be laid at the feet of the parents and in turn society in general. The lack of concern for their children-give them/let them do what they want just to shut them up. Graphic movies, video games and websites depicting crime, warfare and sex are not suitable for 10-12 yr olds I don't care how big a fit they throw for it. Speaking of, how bout painting little Jimmy's barn door red when he does throw that fit? ESPECIALLY when he does it in public! I remember every @ss warming I ever got and by far the worse ones were the ones when Dad lit me up in front family/friends.. What happened to teaching responsibility to kids? #ell half the parents today aren't so why should we expect the kids be?

The first time I took my kids out shooting was always the same. I took them one at a time as it became their turn so it was just me and them. I took gallon milk jugs filled with water and red food coloring. They were able to see firsthand what happens when you pull the trigger. It worked for all of my children. They all are shooters today and have a healthy respect for what a gun will do from that first day at the range. I built the first rifle for every one of my children and I'm proud to say with one exception they have all been passed down or are about to be to their children.
We need MEN to be the kind of men our Fathers and their fathers were, not pussified snowflakes.:s0137:
My:s0159:

Well for the problem to be be addressed, it must be acknowledged first. We can no longer sit idly by and let corrupt politicians enact illegal laws to further restrict our rights. We must talk about that elephant in the room. We are a generation away from not having firearms period. This is unacceptable, my guns will never hurt anyone. It's not right my guns are grouped in with guns in Chicago, to push a fake agenda. Knowledge is power and safety is paramount.

Let me put on my 'ol phart hat for a minute.
Most all of these accidents can be laid at the feet of the parents and in turn society in general. The lack of concern for their children-give them/let them do what they want just to shut them up. Graphic movies, video games and websites depicting crime, warfare and sex are not suitable for 10-12 yr olds I don't care how big a fit they throw for it. Speaking of, how bout painting little Jimmy's barn door red when he does throw that fit? ESPECIALLY when he does it in public! I remember every @ss warming I ever got and by far the worse ones were the ones when Dad lit me up in front family/friends.. What happened to teaching responsibility to kids? #ell half the parents today aren't so why should we expect the kids be?

The first time I took my kids out shooting was always the same. I took them one at a time as it became their turn so it was just me and them. I took gallon milk jugs filled with water and red food coloring. They were able to see firsthand what happens when you pull the trigger. It worked for all of my children. They all are shooters today and have a healthy respect for what a gun will do from that first day at the range. I built the first rifle for every one of my children and I'm proud to say with one exception they have all been passed down or are about to be to their children.
We need MEN to be the kind of men our Fathers and their fathers were, not pussified snowflakes.:s0137:
My:s0159:
It sometimes makes us feel better to blame "those people" and their irresponsibility for the bad things that happen in the world, but the truth is that things can sneak up on any of us. It's comforting to point fingers and say that bad stuff can't happen to me because I'm better than that. In reality, sometimes it's a matter of a single small lapse and just plain bad luck occurring simultaneously.

And it's hard to blame parents these days for not being as conscientious and tuned in as in days gone by. When I was young I could support a family, a house, a new car, and two kids on just my salary. Mom stayed home and dealt with the kids all day. When I had free time I didn't spend it cooking and cleaning, and doing all the household chores that both parents must do now. These days parents are spread thin because it takes 60 to 90 hours of work per week for most families just to get by. after you add time for cooking, cleaning, and sleeping there's not a lot left over for dealing with the kids. Still, most parents are concerned and tuned in. But harried and hurried parents tend to be more lax and to make more mistakes than they did when I was in my 20's. If you want to blame it on something, blame it on our economy and our society that allow corporations and politicians to squeeze the last nickel out of everything for the fat cats, while destroying the middle class.

I am going to be the weirdo here. My grandfather taught me gun safety. My dad never really learned it. I had my gun by 12 and it was not a .22. I kept it safe and I actually used it to deter a couple break ins as a kid. (While family was home, mind you. I was the one who was the light sleeper with a loaded SKS.) I never even came close to shooting anybody who I was not willing to destroy. I taught myself to be very conscientious of gun safety, and muzzle and trigger discipline.

I plan on teaching my daughters gun safety. Due to their age, so far it has been, "This is what a gun looks like, don't touch it." The older of the two is about old enough to introduce to a .22.

It sometimes makes us feel better to blame "those people" and their irresponsibility for the bad things that happen in the world, but the truth is that things can sneak up on any of us. It's comforting to point fingers and say that bad stuff can't happen to me because I'm better than that. In reality, sometimes it's a matter of a single small lapse and just plain bad luck occurring simultaneously.

And it's hard to blame parents these days for not being as conscientious and tuned in as in days gone by. When I was young I could support a family, a house, a new car, and two kids on just my salary. Mom stayed home and dealt with the kids all day. When I had free time I didn't spend it cooking and cleaning, and doing all the household chores that both parents must do now. These days parents are spread thin because it takes 60 to 90 hours of work per week for most families just to get by. after you add time for cooking, cleaning, and sleeping there's not a lot left over for dealing with the kids. Still, most parents are concerned and tuned in. But harried and hurried parents tend to be more lax and to make more mistakes than they did when I was in my 20's. If you want to blame it on something, blame it on our economy and our society that allow corporations and politicians to squeeze the last nickel out of everything for the fat cats, while destroying the middle class.
Or better yet we could blame big government for trying to replace the father in the home. Better yet big government being the solution of all of our problems, instead of holding parents responsible for their actions. Guns don't mysteriously hurt people, there is a cause and effect. We have a responsibility as responsible gun owners to make sure we limit the ammunition the left can use against us to further erode our rights.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top