JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
my grandson is a "gamer" he will if I make whatever it may be available shooting, .22s, riding 4-wheelers, camping. but as soon as the work starts he has somewhere else to be. I can't for the life of me figure it out, we don't have a very good relationship as a result. I just don't get it. he's 22 now.

Growing up myself, along with a twin sister, my parents had us both do different sports, which my sister did pretty well at, even through high school, being on several varsity teams.
I on the other hand quickly found I didn't like sports much, nor did I excell at it, as I wasn't the competitive type. I took a job in high school before joining active duty USAF. My sister also had a job and turned out I was far better at saving, and investing where she liked to spend more frivolously.
My sports were martial arts and going to the gym as I was and still am more introverted and reserved, while my sister loves being in groups of people and being the center of attention. Funny how as kids we have our own unique qualities and differences especially when growing up with siblings.

Growing up myself, along with a twin sister, my parents had us both do different sports, which my sister did pretty well at, even through high school, being on several varsity teams.
I on the other hand quickly found I didn't like sports much, nor did I excell at it, as I wasn't the competitive type. I took a job in high school before joining active duty USAF. My sister also had a job and turned out I was far better at saving, and investing where she liked to spend more frivolously.
My sports were martial arts and going to the gym as I was and still am more introverted and reserved, while my sister loves being in groups of people and being the center of attention. Funny how as kids we have our own unique qualities and differences especially when growing up with siblings.
Similar experience...

I'm the third of four kids. My older brother and younger sister were much more timid and introverted than my older sister and me, and they both remained quite close to home and our parents for an abnormally long time. My younger sister (60 yoa) is a dental hygienist and still lives within an hour's drive of my father's home. My brother is a OTR 18-wheeler driver with very few friends, preferring to keep quite to himself and his firearms, although he finally did move away from home and lives across the country from our parents' home now. My brother and younger sister never married. No kids. No obligations.

My older sister (of Blessed Memory) and I were the most alike. We both took risks and did things at the limits of our abilities. We both traveled far and wide and roamed across the globe during our lifetimes. My older sister was educated in Switzerland as a fashion designer and also was a model for a time. She and I both got married and later divorced our respective spouses, then we each made new lives. After she got divorced and left fashion/modeling, she became an executive secretary to the JAG in the 5th ring of the Pentagon. I quit drugs, got an engineering degree and license, and have traveled the world for both work and play. I'm the only one of the four of us to have kids, as my older sister died of acute myelogenous leukemia at age 32 before she could marry a second time (she was engaged to a wonderful man, an oncologist, that we all really liked). Oftentimes, I wish that my sister was still alive to see what became of me, as it was she who helped me break my habit, convince Dad to help me to go back to school (and helped to repair our estrangement), and got me started on the road to recovery. I really miss her, and I think about her almost every day.

Just musing on your thought of how siblings raised in the same home can grow up to become such very different people...

Having actually read it, it goes against almost everything I believe in to recommend it, but some of ya'll might benefit from it ;)

ZenAndTheArt.jpg

Having actually read it, it goes against almost everything I believe in to recommend it, but some of ya'll might benefit from it ;)

View attachment 1228498
Read it as well, decades ago, when I was tooling around the country on my own two-wheeler. Applied to my lifestyle then. Today, not so much...

Similar experience...

I'm the third of four kids. My older brother and younger sister were much more timid and introverted than my older sister and me, and they both remained quite close to home and our parents for an abnormally long time. My younger sister (60 yoa) is a dental hygienist and still lives within an hour's drive of my father's home. My brother is a OTR 18-wheeler driver with very few friends, preferring to keep quite to himself and his firearms, although he finally did move away from home and lives across the country from our parents' home now. My brother and younger sister never married. No kids. No obligations.

My older sister (of Blessed Memory) and I were the most alike. We both took risks and did things at the limits of our abilities. We both traveled far and wide and roamed across the globe during our lifetimes. My older sister was educated in Switzerland as a fashion designer and also was a model for a time. She and I both got married and later divorced our respective spouses, then we each made new lives. After she got divorced and left fashion/modeling, she became an executive secretary to the JAG in the 5th ring of the Pentagon. I quit drugs, got an engineering degree and license, and have traveled the world for both work and play. I'm the only one of the four of us to have kids, as my older sister died of acute myelogenous leukemia at age 32 before she could marry a second time (she was engaged to a wonderful man, an oncologist, that we all really liked). Oftentimes, I wish that my sister was still alive to see what became of me, as it was she who helped me break my habit, convince Dad to help me to go back to school (and helped to repair our estrangement), and got me started on the road to recovery. I really miss her, and I think about her almost every day.

Just musing on your thought of how siblings raised in the same home can grow up to become such very different people...
Very interesting dynamics and sad to hear of your sister's death when she was at her prime to make a new lease on life.
Funny thing is, now my sister and both work for the county but in completely different roles, again reflecting our differences in personalities as I work in RF maintenance aka a room with a bunch of nerds where she works in a non sworn position with the Sheriff's Office dealing with people at the court houses who have authority issues to smelly homeless people, you name it lol. My sister is great with people and has a charm that I can't deliver as I'm just more analytical, reserved etc.

Many kids go brain dead between the ages of 14 and 16 when the hormones are raging. It can be pretty frustrating dealing with their numb thinking and mono-syllabic grunts. I have found giving them one task to do at a time works best because any more than that they short circuit and forget one of the tasks anyways.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top