JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My kid decided he'd take it upon himself and clean a few of the rifles I own. I was impressed until I looked in on him maybe a couple hours later. He'd managed to detail both my browning a savage rifles. In the 50 years I've owned these rifles, I've never seen them tore down to this point. After what felt like forever I did manage to get the Browning back ship shape, but I'm lost on the savage, and kid is no help here either. So, anyone have detailed assembly instructions for a Savage 1899?? I'd rather not have it back in the safe in a gazillion pieces.

Many thanks.

1624809191925.png

I am not familiar with this Savage, and Google came up with Lever, Bolt and Slide action rifles called "99". I assume it's a Lever and figured this might help if you have not already found it:

savage-rifle-0308-18-AAG0307_p20_SavagRifle.jpg

If I was "the kid" I'd be begging forgiveness and at the same time scouring the Youtube videos on how to reassemble a Savage 99.
That is, if the ol' man would even let me touch the 99 again.

:s0037:

On the brightside your child is interested in mechanical devices and not just screens. If it ends up going to a gunsmith to be reassembled ask if the young one can watch. Trying to look on the positive.

On the brightside your child is interested in mechanical devices and not just screens. If it ends up going to a gunsmith to be reassembled ask if the young one can watch. Trying to look on the positive.
Good point! I was like that as I recall. Frustrated my dad because I'd take stuff apart to see how it worked. Didn't care much about putting back together. I'd suggest you get the boy some OTHER type of mechanical machinery to futz with.

There is lots of stuff on the internet, it just takes patients and time. Like I did , you must peruse through the worst of advice until you find the best of it. you will know it when you find it.
Much ado and serious admonitions likely by those opting to go it alone, you will find about never removing the rotary magazine. Though I had the advantage of disassembly, I still might have messed it up if not for the info I gathered online first, and actually, not that big a deal to reassemble after reading one particularly competent treatise for the 99 from a online fellow. Eventually you should be able to find this guys very concise information.
The biggest, most helpful out take missing from all other 99 opines (some good, but missing needed detail) clears up all the mystery and admonitions about the magazine:
When preloading the spring on the magazine, resist the urge to over wind.
Essentially, the first complete wind that will hold the "0" in place is where you leave it. It is surprising how little the preload needs to be when sitting on zero.
Without this prior knowledge, I would surely have (like most others I'm sure) given it one more turn, forever throwing off the clockwork if left there..,..and then been one more telling you not to mess with it.

I once bought a 99 that wouldn't feed more than one round from a loaded magazine. Like @thorborg said, most info said "don't touch it". But I had one that didn't work, what else was I to do. A little trial and error got it working smoothly.

If I was "the kid" I'd be begging forgiveness and at the same time scouring the Youtube videos on how to reassemble a Savage 99.
That is, if the ol' man would even let me touch the 99 again.

:s0037:
Ain't gonna happen, not as long as I'm breathing. He's gonna have to wait like I did to get this rifle.

My kid decided he'd take it upon himself and clean a few of the rifles I own. I was impressed until I looked in on him maybe a couple hours later. He'd managed to detail both my browning a savage rifles. In the 50 years I've owned these rifles, I've never seen them tore down to this point. After what felt like forever I did manage to get the Browning back ship shape, but I'm lost on the savage, and kid is no help here either. So, anyone have detailed assembly instructions for a Savage 1899?? I'd rather not have it back in the safe in a gazillion pieces.

Many thanks.
Did you get your Savage back together?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top