JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My new Khurki came in today.

blade.jpg

Anyone else like these types of knives/tools?

I had one around the estate for years very handy for a wide range of chores whether Klingons are about or mere vegetation discipline.

My biggest error was forgetting to oil it after a heavy afternoon in the brush one year.....it's taken on a camo-rust texture suggesting it is really unhappy with my oversight.......

A Khukri in the PI? Who'd a thunk it. Did not know they'd spread that far. Maybe some Brits or Ghurka's were around? I have a Bolo and a Barang that my dad brought home from Mindanao, Philippines, in WW2. He said he traded the cigarettes from his C-rations to some Moros for them. He was a non-smoker, good trade I think.

They need a bit of repair, the grips no longer stay on the blade tangs . I could pot them in epoxy but would be open for suggestions on more traditional methods.

Bolo and Barang.JPG

I remember going to a garage sale with my mom about 30 years ago and there was a huge collection of knives and one was a khukri that I really wanted. She did not buy it though.. said it looked.. used..

I have one British G.I. that I paid $30 for at a Montana gun show. The other is a Cold Steel full size carbon v. I also have the original box and a sheath that is plastic or kydex. I got it in 1999. I have not used the Cold Steel one at all. I have experimented with the cheapo, splitting wood and using it to strip bark. I would like to put a new handle on it so I can get some experience working on blades.

A khuk with a 12" blade works for me.. my personal favorite has been a British arrow-stamped Dehradun 1944. While it isnt fancy, it holds an edge and is differentially-tempered. The original sheath has long since kissed it so I made one of saddle-grade leather which will outlast me no doubt. Purists question the correctness of calling an Indian-made khuk a "real khukri", and the same would be said about Cold Steel's makes.. I would like to get hold of a CS "Ghurka Khukri" just to play around with sometime. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top