JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm learning by listening to you guys. I know that Key Mod seems to be more common, but the M-Lock is certainly around.
Is one better than another?
Does one have more rigidity to it?
Your preference?

Thanks in advance.

I have both. Keymod feels better in the bare hand, M-Lok offers more adjustability, IMO. I've also shot quad-rail, and in that case, I found the bottom and side rails made the grip odd. I don't use forward assist grips - it feels unnatural.
I would imagine it really depends on the fore-end and the manufacturer. Add to that, Cerakote feels better than anodized - no hard edges.
As far as bare hand, 50:50 I'm wearing gloves. I was action rifle shooting with a bunch of other guys, all of them vets, and all of them had wraps on their fore-ends, so in their case, what type was underneath the wrap depended on their accoutrements.

What I was trying to say in the above paragraphs is YMMV. IMO, after a few trips to the range, which kind you have really won't matter. Your selection would depend on what you plan on attaching, and for which format the attachment was designed.

Keymod is lighter. If you don't plan on mounting anything Keymod is better. Hera Arms Keymod is light, ignore the holes, and think of it like a carbon fiber handguard. Attachments & rails move around on Keymod, so it's not ideal if you plan on mounting a lazer sight to your gun. You can see just by looking M-Lok is gonna be stronger due to the cutouts being spaced further apart.

Last Edited:
I just watched a very good YouTube vid on this but do not remember which one and why they justified it.

Yuge help I just was...:rolleyes:
Where'd I put my keys? lol. There is a YT for just about anything, but I haven't dug into that just yet. Probably depends on your choice and what you might attach to it.

Thanks guys. Another question, same subject.

Here's my thought train (erratic as it may be normally). RPR Gen 2 in 308. Shorten the handguard to a 15" to allow for an Amtac slip over can to slide 4-5" back over the barrel end. Would bipod it also. So, the style of KM-KL mounts would matter because accessories would be for 1 style or another. They are not interchangeable, are they? I have other rifles that are KM. See my thought?

So many guys are ragging on Keymod.
The industry looks as if its going to mostly back M-lok. Also they have developed cool QD type rail pannels for M-lok.. Which Keymod has none.

If you're just getting into it, Id go with M-Lok.. However, the truth is none of us civilians sre going into battle with these things.. So the splitting if hairs is pointless.

1913 Pic rails are better than anything if durability is the goal. More weight, way more bulky but still a reliable design.
For the low profile stuff, any will do.

I am committed to keymod and like it just fine but think M-loc will be the future. It seems to be a better system. I'll keep buying keymod as I have dozens of keymod rails and the last thing I want is to have to have duplicates of piles of things

I am committed to keymod and like it just fine but think M-loc will be the future. It seems to be a better system. I'll keep buying keymod as I have dozens of keymod rails and the last thing I want is to have to have duplicates of piles of things
Yeah. That was the crux of my question. Thanks

Keymod remained on par with M-LOK during endurance and rough handling experiments, however dropped the ball, so to speak, during drop testing. M-LOK accessories remained attached 100 percent during 5-foot drop onto a steel plate. In contrast, only 33 percent of KeyMod accessories remained on-board. In addition, M-LOK achieved a 73 percent improvement in average Point of Aim shift over KeyMod.

Supposedly M-Lok is out-selling Keymod 3-1 at present.
Even Keymod holdout, BCM will be stocking M-Lok.

Last Edited:
From and industry viewpoint (and I am an engineer in the industry), Keymod is going bye bye. MLOK is does outsell Keymod by a substantial margin and most manufacturers are going away from it.

Thanks guys. Another question, same subject.

Here's my thought train (erratic as it may be normally). RPR Gen 2 in 308. Shorten the handguard to a 15" to allow for an Amtac slip over can to slide 4-5" back over the barrel end. Would bipod it also. So, the style of KM-KL mounts would matter because accessories would be for 1 style or another. They are not interchangeable, are they? I have other rifles that are KM. See my thought?
If it's made out of metal, it can be modified. However, the gap between the slots is narrow, not intended for shortening, and cutting it back would compromise the integrity of the handguard. You might wind up with some crappy edges. I would check into whether or not other handguards fit the RPR, as it looks like the attachment follows a standard.

I've read/watched that MLok does hold up better under harsh testing. Probably worse than anything the majority of people would ever put it through. I've always thought the lock up system on MLok was a little less user friendly, to that end, I like Keymod, but I think the writing may be on the wall for Keymod long term.

If it's made out of metal, it can be modified. However, the gap between the slots is narrow, not intended for shortening, and cutting it back would compromise the integrity of the handguard. You might wind up with some crappy edges. I would check into whether or not other handguards fit the RPR, as it looks like the attachment follows a standard.
I have no intention of drilling it at all. would probably by a Seekins hand guard in M-Lok and mount any/all accessories in that manner.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews