JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one and mine was doing what you are describing. They have a lifetime warranty. I sent it to them and they replaced the spring, sharpened and sent back good as new. In fact, I haven't had any problems with it since.

My last kershaw I had for over a year and It never gave me any issues. Bi mart had the on sale on Black Friday so I replaced it. I expect this one to last just as long. I have heard that the warranties are great though.

I will check it out, mine was from Christmas before last on the Bimart black Friday sale. Its my favorite I carry everywhere just miss it open with an easy push. I will check out the warranty on it. I know someone was telling me their Benchmade would do it every once in awhile but it always worked ok after washing it in their jeans by accident, lol just don't want to send mine through the washer.

It probably just needs cleaned and some lubrication if it is not that old. The torsion bars do wear out like a spring though. If it is a US made model they will send you a new one for free. Just submit a form on their website. On some models it is a bit tricky to replace but there are YouTube videos walking through the replacement. Like the others said, if you don't mind bring without it for awhile, you can always send it in.

Benchmade won't return the knife if you live in WA and send them an assisted opening knife. They're illegal here unless you're a LEO or first responder they can't ship it back to you.
Maybe Kershaw will, don't know though.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I've had one Kershaw (the Tremor) that i lubed but the rest I haven't had to. I have loosened one or two up slightly.

Benchmade won't return the knife if you live in WA and send them an assisted opening knife. They're illegal here unless you're a LEO or first responder they can't ship it back to you.
Maybe Kershaw will, don't know though.

That has not been my experience with Benchmade, I had the springs replaced under warrranty on a Mini-Barrage last fall and it was sent direct to my house by USPS. I do believe you would be correct with an auto knife though.

Maybe Kershaw will, don't know though

Spring assist is legal spring blade is not. That is why you can buy them everywhere without LEO ID and why they changed the wording of the RCW last year.

RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons ? Penalty.

Another suggestion..............

Just go to the Kershaw factory sale and have it repaired while you're shopping. Problem is.....the sale is only once a year. It's the weekend after Thanksgiving (mark your calendar).

Bring plenty of money to the sale. You can thank me later.

Aloha, Mark

Another suggestion..............

Just go to the Kershaw factory sale and have it repaired while you're shopping. Problem is.....the sale is only once a year. It's the weekend after Thanksgiving (mark your calendar).

Bring plenty of money to the sale. You can thank me later.

Aloha, Mark
Thanks for the heads up.

Just picked up a Ken Onion Blur as my knife. The sucker is sharp as **** and I like the textured rubber inserts in the grip.

I hose my knives out with wd40 then blow it out with the air nozzle on the old compressor. Might also check the pivot screw if its too tight the blade wont open as easy.

The speed safe knives are easy to maintain. Remove the hex screws, clean out the lint, inspect the spring, and maybe grease or wipe down with some other type of lubrication.
One of the screws that holds the blade together is also the screw that you adjust for how tight you want the blade. Sometimes a little tightening or loosening will help with the speed safe operation.
Kershaw will also send you new springs if you request them because they will end up breaking after awhile.

A couple good knife cleaners to flush out old lube is either Break Free Powder Blast, or Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. They are both solvents. WD40 may work, but it contains lubricants which may themselves inhibit flushing out the old gunk or re-gunk the parts.

A very light oil like Tuf-Lube works well on spring assists and autos with tight tolerances (such as the Ultratechs) which are sensitive to debris collecting in the channels.

BTW try to use the solvents outside. You don't want to inhale a lot of organic solvents.

My ole leek gets lots of wear. I just throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner. Or go at it with some brake parts cleaner then a puff or two of graphite. The finish is almost completely gone now. The blade has been replaced by Kershaw twice. Both times under warranty. Love my Kershaws. They may not be all that pricey, but they are workhorses.

Spring assist is legal spring blade is not. That is why you can buy them everywhere without LEO ID and why they changed the wording of the RCW last year.

RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons ? Penalty.
From the law"
(2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife.
You'll find a bunch of knives that fall under this part of the law:
any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement.
In fact the Benchmade Griptilian I carry does this if I don't tighten it up every once in a while.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top