JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can't remember the last time I bought kerosene. If I were to get some today, before I try ACE or any other box store, I'd just Google "kerosene mycity". Depending on how you much you need and how you plan to store it, it might be cheaper to buy where other petroleum products can be found, like Woodyard - (503) 644-7357. Sorry if this info wasn't very useful.

Check with the flight base operators at the Hillsboro airport and see if they will sell you jet fuel, and if so what the price is. Jet fuel is highly refined kerosene. If they will sell it to you and it's cheaper, be sure to ask what type of container they require. Ask them if they have "kerosene" stickers." IIRC kerosene must go into a blue can because red means gasoline. Yellow is diesel.

I don't personally believe that any kerosene heater is safe in a house, but that's your domain. If I was using it as a space heater in a well ventilated area such as a barn, I'd burn #1 diesel in it.

Not sure of the use you have for it yet also contact your local bulk fuel oil distributer they often sell kerosene at much lower prices than home improvement stores with prepackaged. I you have a large use for it they often will deliver it by tanker and fill a bulk tank for you. There usually is a base delivery charged waived when you pass a specific gallon amount.

As to Kerosene heaters in a house there are a number of good direct vent wall mounted heaters available from a couple companies Toyoset is one most are korean and they are designed to very efficiently produce heat requiring very low electrical input and burn extremely clean with low temp exhaust. To get certified on a couple Marine heater products they sold years ago I was required to take their full product service class including the base wall mounted heaters. I was impressed and recommend them to people looking to heat small cabins with open floor plans.

Kerosene prices are gettting worse and worse. I'm glad I have a stock from the past. The jet fuel suggestion reminded me of when I drove a fuel delivery truck the winter of 1973-4. I'd been transferring jet fuel for a helicopter logging company, then took the truck home that night. I managed to flush a few gallons out of the hose, and we ran our kerosene lamps on that for quite some time (my folks got electricity in the early 1970's).

Back in those days, we kept a barrel of "Pearl" kerosene and a barrel of White Gas in back of the local Chevron station. People would bring in cans and buy it by the gallon from the barrel into their cans. I sure miss those days.

Take a good look at that store bought kerosene. The red stuff is not all that good for wicks. Big Brother's red dye (because they're afraid someone will run his diesel on kerosene and not pay road tax) tends to foul wicks. For your lamps, you want clear K-1 kerosene.

I have not bought any since last year but I buy it at the pump at our local fuel station. I am thinking it ran just under the price of diesel. Might try local heating oil company too.

Never even considered buying it at a box store.

As to Kerosene heaters in a house there are a number of good direct vent wall mounted heaters available from a couple companies Toyoset is one most are korean and they are designed to very efficiently produce heat requiring very low electrical input...

Sorry, my brain is always going to SHTF and the grid down. I was thinking survival heater.

Still looking into this, a lady at the Woodyard said #1 stove oil is the same thing, called AGWEST in Hillsboro and they have it at $5.25 per gallon, think I will try it and see what happens.

I just checked pricing at Marc Nelson Oil Products in Salem, they offer kerosene in 5 gal. buckets at $7.10/gal = $35.50 total, and 55 gal drums at $6.75/gal plus $30.00 deposit for the drum $371.25 + $30.00 deposit = $401.25 total.

Still looking into this, a lady at the Woodyard said #1 stove oil is the same thing, called AGWEST in Hillsboro and they have it at $5.25 per gallon, think I will try it and see what happens.

Before someone has a real problem, Stove oil and Kerosene are different. Think of it this way. Gas, kerosene, stove oil, diesel.
Prices here in Grants Pass today. Gas 3.95, kerosene 4.95, stove oil 3.95, diesel 4.05. Takes the fun out of life.

Buy Kerosene in the summer time at Home Depot. Less than 1/2 normal pricing in the 5-gal metal cans. No demand in the heat of summer. Now is not the best time to be buying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top