JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to put up one of my pistols for sale at a local dealer on consignment and was told that it had to be held 30 days before it was released to a buyer. I asked what is this and was told it is a local thing in Kennewick to stop stolenguns. Anyone have any enlightenment on this? In my opinion this is a restraint on trade. Trying to find out what gives here. Spad

Going to sell a used Sig 225 Zurich,Switzerland Police 9mm. I went on the Kennewick Police website and sent a query concerning the who,why, and authorization for the 30 day policy. The response was that the person who handled the message board would return on Monday. Spad

RCW 19.60.055

Retention of property by secondhand dealers — Inspection.

(1) Property bought or received on consignment by any secondhand dealer with a permanent place of business in the state shall not be removed from that place of business except consigned property returned to the owner, within thirty days after the receipt of the property. Property shall at all times during the ordinary hours of business be open to inspection to any commissioned law enforcement officer of the state or any of its political subdivisions.

(2) Property bought or received on consignment by any secondhand dealer without a permanent place of business in the state, shall be held within the city or county in which the property was received, except consigned property returned to the owner, within thirty days after receipt of the property. The property shall be available within the appropriate jurisdiction for inspection at reasonable times by any commissioned law enforcement officer of the state or any of its political subdivisions.

[1991 c 323 § 6; 1984 c 10 § 7.]

I think this is to prevent quick resale of stolen goods.

Both stores I visited are regular FFL stores that sell firearms. They said this was something new and applied to all gunstores in Kennewick. I have used one stores services in the past and sold firearms through them and never had this 30 day game. They are not pawn shops. This is why I want to know what is going on. Restricting a private citizens right to trade, sell objects is not right. Spad

Grow up sweatbeard, look up the word restrict in Websters,it is the principle. What if suddenly the local police department decided when you traded your car into a dealer or consigned it you had to wait 30 days. I'm waiting till Monday to see what the response is from the local police department. Right now it seems that Kennewick is the only city doing this by instructions from the police department. Spad

I'm waiting till Monday to see what the response is from the local police department. Right now it seems that Kennewick is the only city doing this by instructions from the police department. Spad

Actually, it looks like it is a STATE WIDE law (to wait 30 days) and it applies to all consigned sales -- not just firearms. [See RCW 19.60.055]

There may be an exception for vehicles, since usually when you consign a vehicle, you have to provide a title for the vehicle. (Thank goodness the state is NOT involved with issuing titles for firearms).

It's been that way for years. You might feel different if it was your Sig P225 the police were returning to you from a pawn shop after it had been stolen, versus it being fenced right after a theft.

It basically makes it a lot harder to unload stolen goods. Note that it doesn't stop a new owner from buying an item, they just can't take possession of it.

There is a Tigard Oregon law that says used guns must wait 2 weeks (I think) before they can be sold. Got caught on that once when I was buying a gun at the Tigard Gunbroker. Paid the money then I was told I could pick it up a week and a half later......I was a little put off at first but thems the rules the players gotta follow. Now I know to ask when a used gun is actually available when at that store.

One FFL told me it was 30 days wait, unless it was a trade-in. Trade-ins could be sold and delivered to the buyer immediately.

The Kennewick Police Department responded early this morning and quoted the Muni code which reflects the state code that you fellow forum members have previously published. I guess the times that I had sold firearms on consignment before had taken over 30 days and the dealer had never bothered to tell me about the 30 day thing. I see where vehicles are not included in this law. Sorry if I sounded like someone starting a tempest in a tea pot, just chary of firearm restrictions. I thanked the Kennewick P.D. for thier quick response. Spad

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top