JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wife doesn't want you to spend any more money on guns, eh?

I've been through that..............got rid of wife..................:D:cool::)

I cannot get rid of mine as I still like her too much but she sure shuts me down on gun buying as well. "I have enough toys" I was told this week when I wanted to buy a rifle. I suppose having bought 4 pistols in the last 2 weeks is a bit much for some..not for me but hey I gotta keep a happy home!

I cannot get rid of mine as I still like her too much but she sure shuts me down on gun buying as well. "I have enough toys" I was told this week when I wanted to buy a rifle. I suppose having bought 4 pistols in the last 2 weeks is a bit much for some..not for me but hey I gotta keep a happy home!

I was just kidding......:confused::D....but a happy home front is TOP PRIORITY, and if you can spend all the money you have spent on guns lately, you might consider spending a few more $$ on chocolates for the wife........:cool::):D

I should have never opened this thread...................did some research on the Beretta Carbine...........now I want to buy one, but have NO Beretta mags, etc, so it'd be stupid to NOT go with a Sub 2000 if I want to go that route...

I'm anxiously looking forward to their new model, and the price....:D
That fold in half feature is cool...............:D:D

As a pistol caliber carbine, the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 is a niche use firearm. That's fine. Most people just get them for plinking since they already own a Glock or Beretta that uses the same mags. The SUB-2000's biggest plus is that it folds in half for compact, covert storage and is easy to get into action.

However beyond the single trick of folding and unfolding, there's not much to it as a carbine. It does not have last round bolt hold open. It does not have good ergonomics. If a person wants to mount stuff to it (i.e. optics) the person can compromise the ability of the firearm to fold up for storage. And it's a Kel-Tec. -That means quality control may not be there in a particular example but the company will fix it if there is a problem.

When they were $300 - $400 guns, the SUB-2000 seemed like a good value. At $600, they're harder to justify. That said, once in a while CDNN runs good sales on them.

I was just kidding......:confused::D....but a happy home front is TOP PRIORITY, and if you can spend all the money you have spent on guns lately, you might consider spending a few more $$ on chocolates for the wife........:cool::):D

I should have never opened this thread...................did some research on the Beretta Carbine...........now I want to buy one, but have NO Beretta mags, etc, so it'd be stupid to NOT go with a Sub 2000 if I want to go that route...

I'm anxiously looking forward to their new model, and the price....:D
That fold in half feature is cool...............:D:D

I was super broke for a long time and had an investment pay off within the last month that I thought was a dead deal. It is all luck but you are right. Sounds like you know that you gotta buy for her as well. She has a nice new laptop and some gadgets to make driving around in the car all day for work more comfy. I was broke enough to have sold a lot of guns I liked so I was "allowed" to make up for that a bit recently.
All that is the ONLY reason I got a way with my new guns...Only regret is the 44 mag. Just wanted to shoot one but now I have to wonder what people that carry them all the time are making up for! I shot a big ported 44 and then put it down and fell in love with the little micro Sig 238. I love that pistol.

I was super broke for a long time and had an investment pay off within the last month that I thought was a dead deal. ....Only regret is the 44 mag. .... I have to wonder what people that carry them all the time are making up for!......

Same thing about investments happened to me about 5 years ago.:s0022:

I LOVE retirement!!!:D:D:s0105:

Ya, the ONLY reason I could see owning a 44 Mag. is if I lived/traveled to Grizzley country...............:D

As a pistol caliber carbine, the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 is a niche use firearm. That's fine. Most people just get them for plinking since they already own a Glock or Beretta that uses the same mags. The SUB-2000's biggest plus is that it folds in half for compact, covert storage and is easy to get into action.

However beyond the single trick of folding and unfolding, there's not much to it as a carbine. It does not have last round bolt hold open. It does not have good ergonomics. If a person wants to mount stuff to it (i.e. optics) the person can compromise the ability of the firearm to fold up for storage. And it's a Kel-Tec. -That means quality control may not be there in a particular example but the company will fix it if there is a problem.

When they were $300 - $400 guns, the SUB-2000 seemed like a good value. At $600, they're harder to justify. That said, once in a while CDNN runs good sales on them.
I do have a CX4 - nice carbine - but it does not fit into a laptop bag, unless I let the barrel stick out ;-) As for mounting optics and accessories, such as lights and lasers, there are 2 complimentary options: #1 Red Lion rotating hand guard (rotates 90, 180, 270 degrees) and can hold picatinny rails on 3 sides #2 many people replace the front sight post, and there are some that have a short picatinny at the bottom. With these 2 options installed you can mount optics and still fold the gun.

I had one in .40/Glock. In my opinion it's a toy albeit a fun one. I never had any problems with mine but the reason I had one is as a companion to a G22 in a bug out bag. After having it and shooting it a while I chose to dump it and replace it with a AR pistol with the Law folder. A lot more money but in terms of what it's capability is there is no comparison. It's not as handy nor does it share mags or ammo but it will actually do something the G22 won't where the Kel tec is really just a bulky shoulderable G22

I do have a CX4 - nice carbine - but it does not fit into a laptop bag, unless I let the barrel stick out ;-) As for mounting optics and accessories, such as lights and lasers, there are 2 complimentary options: #1 Red Lion rotating hand guard (rotates 90, 180, 270 degrees) and can hold picatinny rails on 3 sides #2 many people replace the front sight post, and there are some that have a short picatinny at the bottom. With these 2 options installed you can mount optics and still fold the gun.

When it comes to stored length, it's hard to beat the Sub2K - 29.5" open, 16" closed. The Mech Tech CCU for Glock with Telescoping stock runs from 25.375" collapsed, up to 34" max extension - making it, with stock collapsed, still almost 10" longer than a folded Sub2K. For compact storage, I'd say you can't beat the Kel-Tec in a pistol carbine.

They are fun to shoot, but I can't really think of a real NEED for one....:confused:
Here is why I "need" one ;-) :

#1 - they fit perfectly in my spare wheel compartment - secured and unloaded of course.
When getting stuck in the wilderness, it certainly is easier to hunt for food with a 16 inch barrel than with your carry.

#2 - at the folded size I could even imagine throwing one into my laptop bag or a backpack. Look at the event in Kenya. Something like that happening in our malls is not unthinkable (head of DHS recently gave an interview to that effect). Your range with a CCW pistol is really limited (remember Officer Gardner @ Columbine could not neutralize Harris with his duty pistol at 60 yds). Mass shootings are not a typical SD/HD scenario. Granted a 9mm rifle has a limited range as well, but I think 100yds is doable. I don't know of any other rifle or AR pistol for that matter that would make it practical to carry along without it becoming the main thing you carry. Maybe a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, or a Browning Takedown, both in .22. But that's probably not the best fighting caliber in that situation.

It sounds a bit hypothetical (unprobable) now, but I would not be surprised if we added PD (Public Defense) to HD and SD in our thinking when the SHTF. Hope I am wrong and it stays hypothetical.

See, now I have rationalized perfectly why I need yet another "fun to shoot" gun :D

Mine runs great. They're kind of a pain to clean, but way fun to shoot. I drilled a couple of small holes in the bottom of the handguard up front and mounted a short picatinny rail. I put a LaserMax with a remote paddle on the rail. The LaserMax has a built-in picatinny rail so I mounted a light under it. With everything mounted below the forend it still folds. The stock sights are fast enough once you get used to them, so it wasn't worth it to me to put optics on it. I did put an aftermarket butt pad on it to increase the LOP, which was short even for me. With low recoil and light weight it rips through silhouette drills and spinner targets really fast. I got mine in 9mm for the cheaper ammo. If it were primarily for defense I'd probably go with the 40 since the recoil would probably still be next to nothing.

Here is why I "need" one ;-) :

#1 - they fit perfectly in my spare wheel compartment - secured and unloaded of course.
When getting stuck in the wilderness, it certainly is easier to hunt for food with a 16 inch barrel than with your carry.

#2 - at the folded size I could even imagine throwing one into my laptop bag or a backpack. Look at the event in Kenya. Something like that happening in our malls is not unthinkable (head of DHS recently gave an interview to that effect). Your range with a CCW pistol is really limited (remember Officer Gardner @ Columbine could not neutralize Harris with his duty pistol at 60 yds). Mass shootings are not a typical SD/HD scenario. Granted a 9mm rifle has a limited range as well, but I think 100yds is doable. I don't know of any other rifle or AR pistol for that matter that would make it practical to carry along without it becoming the main thing you carry. Maybe a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, or a Browning Takedown, both in .22. But that's probably not the best fighting caliber in that situation.

It sounds a bit hypothetical (unprobable) now, but I would not be surprised if we added PD (Public Defense) to HD and SD in our thinking when the SHTF. Hope I am wrong and it stays hypothetical.

See, now I have rationalized perfectly why I need yet another "fun to shoot" gun :D

I like your rationalization - I've used similar thought excercises to justify many firearms in my collection :D

PS - I say "boogerhook" all the time now since seeing your name :p

PS - I say "boogerhook" all the time now since seeing your name :p
I am German originally, so I had no idea what a boogerhook is until one of my friends explained a cop's shooting-himself-in-the-butt accident: "he kept his boogerhook on the bangswitch while re-holstering his gun". Considering that most accidental discharges can be prevented by keeping your trigger finger indexed, I felt it an appropriate screen name ;-)

i was just talking with my buddy who has the 40 & 9 sub 2000.

We are going shooting today, so I was asking about him bringing his subs.:D

I was curious how factory ammo ran thru them, as he reloads, but he said that he loads these to factory specs.

So I saw no need to re-shoot them, as I remember that the 40 had a little more recoil than the 9, but was very manageable......:cool:

He said he has chrono'd many pistol/rifle calibers, and these 2 Kel Tecs were similar to others in that you gain about 100 FPS shooting a pistol caliber out of a rifle..........:)

The only difference, to me, is that a 40 will reach out further, quicker, and shoot flatter (Less holdover) than a 9..........+ hits harder.......+ ammo seems to be more available in times of shortages............but it's more expensive than 9..............

I've seen him shoot both these Sub's out to 100 yards VERY accurately:D:D

I hope these new versions are priced @ $400-$450.........If so, I'm down for a 40 cal:cool::D:);)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top